Best Place to Eat

Kinglady

Well Guidos tends toward Italian flavors but has good seafood.

My fav seafood place on Cozumel is Pescardo San Carlos. It's basically a fish market with a restaurant on the side. Very much a local's place and speaking of "tucked away" it is toward the back (east) end of San Miguel.

Downtown, DW and I like Sabores with its nice garden. It's is a famly home turned into a loncheria on week days. Only open from noon to 4PM Coz time. Daily entrees and veggies vary. Another rplace nearby is Tonitas, she serves a great pozole (hominy)soup on Thursdays.

If you're looking for Yucatan style food, Casa Denis, the oldest restaurant in town just off the plaza is always a good choice. I find the food at Los Flamitas, a few blocks away on Avenida 25, a bit better. They serve wonderful sopas with their meals. No English spoken but specials are on a blackboard. And the price is very inexpensive.

Well Guidos tends toward Italian flavors but has good seafood.

My fav seafood place on Cozumel is Pescardo San Carlos. It's basically a fish market with a restaurant on the side. Very much a local's place and speaking of "tucked away" it is toward the back (east) end of San Miguel.

Downtown, DW and I like Sabores with its nice garden. It's is a famly home turned into a loncheria on week days. Only open from noon to 4PM Coz time. Daily entrees and veggies vary. Another rplace nearby is Tonitas, she serves a great pozole (hominy)soup on Thursdays.

If you're looking for Yucatan style food, Casa Denis, the oldest restaurant in town just off the plaza is always a good choice. I find the food at Los Flamitas, a few blocks away on Avenida 25, a bit better. They serve wonderful sopas with their meals. No English spoken but specials are on a blackboard. And the price is very inexpensive.

Crew, I thought Sabores was the one that closed and the server and cook moved into the old French Quarter restaurant? Not even sure if it is still there either? Pity because I know it was well recommended and we didn't get to try it.

One of our favorites is La Choza for local food, but we also like Guidos, Del Sur and Al Pied de Carbon but not sure they are open for lunch.

Crew, I thought Sabores was the one that closed and the server and cook moved into the old French Quarter restaurant? Not even sure if it is still there either? Pity because I know it was well recommended and we didn't get to try it.

One of our favorites is La Choza for local food, but we also like Guidos, Del Sur and Al Pied de Carbon but not sure they are open for lunch.

c-leg, Oops, ur right! :o I forgot Sabores closed. Hadn't scratched it off my list yet. My apologies for passing outdated information on this board. It's amazing sometimes how quickly places change. We actually side stepped downtown the past two cruises, so it's been awhile since I've roamed around there.

I've only eaten breakfast once in the new La Choza's but I do remember the turkey mole at their old spot. Haven't been to Del Sur or Al Pie de Carbon as they were only open for dinner and there are too many good Mexican/Yucatan places around to go Argentinian.

I forgot Sabores closed.

Say it isn't so! I was really looking forward to going there, not just for the food, but also for the pretty garden. Is there perhaps another loncheria operating out of the same space?

Crewsweeper, your info has been invaluable. Half of my enjoyment of cruising is the planning and anticipation, and your firsthand experience has been a real help. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

When in Cozumel we ALWAYS eat lunch at La Choza.

Christian and his family take SUCH good care of their guests. The food is scrumptious, the prices are just right, and the portions plentiful.

You'll love it as we do.

If you are there for dinner- you have to go to Del Sur Argentina for empanadas, especially the dessert ones. SO good.

For lunch, my favorite place was Casa Cuzimil. The comida del dia was 70 pesos, soup, a full plate meal with rice and beans and veggies. They had a few offerings the day we went and both were really good.

Burritos Gorditos was also good, but not unlike burrito fast food you can get in the USA.

We though Panchos Backyard and Casa Denis were good, but very expensive for lunch.

Edited by skittl1321