India

SparkleBee

I have a major desire to go to India and if I could do it via cruising that would be wonderful for a few reasons. I've been searching and can't really find a cruise which focuses on India. I see a few that will make one or to stops there along with lots of other places. many of them include Dubai, which I will not visit. (I'd LOVE to visit Dubai but as an American female certainly don't feel comfortable). I'm envisioning a cruise that stops at lots of cities in India plus maybe Sri Lanka. Can you point me in the right direction? I'm thinking maybe such a trip does not exist.

also wondering if the lack of boats here has anything to do with the proximity to Somalia and their lovely pirates??

Edited by SparkleBee

India is not really a cruise destination because it's too big and because many of the major sites are annoyingly inland. The Taj Mahal, for example. However, cruises do exist and many companies offer routes from Singapore to the Gulf, such as this one from Silversea -

http://www.silversea.com/destinations/plan-voyage/?voyage=2508&year=2015

However, I do urge you to consider India as a land-based trip. There are some amazing hotels and if you took some sort of package/cultural tour you would feel quite comfortable.

India needs to be seen on a landbased tour for the reasons given above. It has to be my favourite holiday destination in the world. As a matter of interest, why would you feel uncomfortable as an American female in Dubai? It's the most westernised, cosmopolitan city in the Middle East and I felt far safer there than anywhere in India where there have been serious sexual assaults against female tourists recently, as well as multiple rapes/murders of local women

Sparkle Bee,

I hear what you are saying, and more and more cruislines are offering itineraries that might work for you.

Last winter we flew to Dubai, stayed two days at a lovely hotel in the city, and took the hotel's tours to other places of interest. Easy peasy and very safe. Then we boarded Azamara Journey and cruised to Mumbai and two ports in southern India. The ship did offer an overnight excursion to Taj Mahal. Quite spectacular and very safe.

Colombo, Sri Lanka was also included on the cruise and is another port where you can take some very interesting excursions.

If you keep looking, you will find just what you want. Ask your favorite cruise line or even check the headings of the roll calls here on CC.

Good luck and happy sailing.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

When HAL transfers the Ryndam to P&O Australia nest year, they have changed the itinerary in order to get it to Singapore. The itinerary now leaves from Venice and 28 days later arrives in Singapore with some interesting ports along the way, including Goa, Mangalore, and Cochin India. Also, Suez Canal, Petra, Oman, Sri Lanka, and Malaysian ports in addition to some European ones.

It's probably not as India intense as you are hoping for, but I find some of the other ports attractive as well. Just a thought.......the date is October 3, 2015 out of Venice.

I too have been wanting to do a cruise that includes India. Azamra has 1, but for the stops & the cost it just doesn't make sense for me. I want to see the Golden triangle as well as Mubia as well as visit relatives outside of Mumbia.

I'm leaning to fly into Delhi do a tour up there, river boat cruise in the eastern area & end up in Mumbia. It would take weeks & tons of engery to see all that India offers, just have to go with the main sites.

thank you for your replies and especially THANK YOU for pointing me to the Azmara cruise. they have a 13-night itinerary which is about right! it's quite a bit more expensive that I would hope to spend, however I am still considering it for 2015 or 2016. add in the airfare and pre-cruise hotels and ouch...

you hit the nail on the head when you said you can't see it all, there is too much. I'm thinking maybe flying into New Delhi for a few days then getting to Mumbai somehow (is the train safe???) to pick up the cruise. I don't care if I miss the Taj Mahal... I'd trade that in order to pack in the Maldives and Sri Lanka in the same trip.

If anyone else has input I'd love it.

We flew into New Delhi and picked up a tour of the Golden Triangle (Delhi, Agra, Jaipur) surprisingly cheaply. We then flew to Sri Lanka but I'm sure they have cheap internal flights to Mumbai

that HAL trip looks really interesting but there is no way I could leave for that long. the price is decent too! thanks for posting that. I like the Azamara voyage but see they only have 2 ships so it looks like the one I want will not be offered again for a while.

you hit the nail on the head when you said you can't see it all, there is too much. I'm thinking maybe flying into New Delhi for a few days then getting to Mumbai somehow (is the train safe???) to pick up the cruise. I don't care if I miss the Taj Mahal... I'd trade that in order to pack in the Maldives and Sri Lanka in the same trip.

there are cheap flights inter India, in fact playing around I found a non stop Delhi to Mubia 1 way for 70 bucks, business class for around $200.

thank you for your replies and especially THANK YOU for pointing me to the Azmara cruise. they have a 13-night itinerary which is about right! it's quite a bit more expensive that I would hope to spend, however I am still considering it for 2015 or 2016. add in the airfare and pre-cruise hotels and ouch...

Exactly how much time do you have? As others have said , a land tour is the only way to see India. Apart from the Taj Mahal, give yourself enough time to see Varanasi and the ghats on the Ganges, and the temples at Khajuraho (sp) which are very similar to those at Ankor Wat, plus so many other fascinating places.

Personally, I would save Sri Lanka and the Maldives for another time - they are easily doable together. If you want a beach at the end of your India tour you could try Kerala or Goa for some R&R:)

I would never suggest seeing India by cruise ship. You will see so very, very little of India. Plenty of people (including solo female travelers) travel safely and cheaply on their own. But if you're set on doing a cruise and seeing the Golden Triangle you can easily and cheaply fly from Delhi to Mumbai. India has some excellent low-cost airlines - SpiceJet, Jet Konnect, Go Air, Indigo.... You can book your tickets online - the earlier you book, the cheaper the fare.

Take a look at Trip Advisor for day trip tour recommendations. India has come a long way with regards to tours. You'd do much better on your own than on a ship's excursions.

Enjoy!

ug, I know, seeing India via land would be so much better in terms of the "Indian Experience" but the cruise is so attractive because of all the bonus places, such as Dubai, the ease of transportation, etc. I really have to think about it, and find someone to go with.

sure appreciate your input, folks!

ug, I know, seeing India via land would be so much better in terms of the "Indian Experience" but the cruise is so attractive because of all the bonus places, such as Dubai, the ease of transportation, etc. I really have to think about it, and find someone to go with.

sure appreciate your input, folks!

If you don't have anyone to go with there are some excellent women travel groups for Indian travel:

http://www.womentravel.info/profile.php?id=559 (https://www.facebook.com/DianneShamaWinter)

http://www.wowsumitra.com/ (https://www.facebook.com/wowclub)

If you want to go on your own but meet up with other travelers for part/all the trip, check India Mike at http://www.indiamike.com/india/india-travel-partners-f59/. Enjoy!

We will be on the QE next spring (2015). The only port stop in India is Mumbai. Can anyone tell me what the situation is with a one day port stop re: malaria and the need for medication? The cruise website indicates "moderate" risk, but are mosquitoes really active during the day? I know this isn't a medical professional forum, but personal experience in Mumbai specifically would be helpful. We'd definitely wear insect repellent clothing and Deet as well.

just a little update... decided on a land-based tour Feb 2016.

I can do a 2 week trip for $2,500 per person. going to do the Golden Triangle and add in Varanasi. really excited - but waiting a year and a half is going to be torture!!

just a little update... decided on a land-based tour Feb 2016.

I can do a 2 week trip for $2,500 per person. going to do the Golden Triangle and add in Varanasi. really excited - but waiting a year and a half is going to be torture!!

may I ask who did you pick to tour with ?

Hi Cirman, no tour group. I'll book the hotels, air, and drivers on my own. I think the final amount spent might even be less. the hotels in India are inexpensive and so is the food. won't pick the specifics until it gets closer but I'll be happy to share the plans at that time. (oh I see I said 'tour' above but I didn't mean it that way...)

Edited by SparkleBee

Hi Cirman, no tour group. I'll book the hotels, air, and drivers on my own. I think the final amount spent might even be less. the hotels in India are inexpensive and so is the food. won't pick the specifics until it gets closer but I'll be happy to share the plans at that time. (oh I see I said 'tour' above but I didn't mean it that way...)

We are also looking at doing northern India, then spend time in Mumbia and visit never seen family.

if you don't mind sharing what you worked out, please send me an email at ron and stan at the g place

dot com

thanks