Carnival's Starfish Island

RenoNanaOz

I saw your post yesterday and noticed no one has responded to your question yet. I'm not sure if I can be any help since it's been a long time since we've done this.

We were on a cruise with a stop in Belize in March 2006 on Carnival Miracle. We booked the "Beach Break" excursion through Carnival. At the time, the little island was called "Bannister Island" and I'm aware that it's recently been called "Starfish Island". I've seen some recent pictures and it has been confirmed by others that it is the former "Bannister Island". When we took this tour, we met in the main lounge for a tender that took us directly to Bannister Island and that tender would be taking us directly back to the ship. Our plans were to get on a tender into Belize City once back on the ship but by the time we returned, there was a half hour left before we got back on board so we never made it into Belize City to shop. There is a gift shop (at least there was) but I didn't go in thinking I'd have an opportunity to get into Belize. According to the schedule and if things had been on schedule, we'd have had time to get a tender and spend about a half an hour in Belize City before the last tender back to the ship. There was a large group on this excursion and when it was time to get on the tender from Bannister Island back to the ship, we all boarded...except for one person. Long story short, this one person ended up holding everything up for about a half hour total.

I don't know if things have changed or if they now have tenders running back and forth to the island through out the day in case someone wanted to leave earlier. On that excursion in 2006, that was not an option.

This thread will be "bumped" and hopefully someone who has done the excursion recently can give you a definite answer. We did enjoy the day and the island was very nice with plenty of loungers for everyone, there's a large covered bar, food, a gift shop (at least there was), restrooms, volleyball and more but we just made it a beach day.

Same as previous poster...we were there when it was called Bannister Island.

This island seems to be an either "like this place" or "completely hate this place". Us, well we liked it. It made for a nice day and there are tons of starfish in the water, which made it an interesting day as well.

If you are interested in reading my review I did, there are TONS of pictures in it (it's located in my signature line). It might help you get a feel for what the island looks like. I have noticed they have changed a "few" things...like the lounge chairs and such, but there shouldn't be too much of a difference. :)

I saw your post yesterday and noticed no one has responded to your question yet. I'm not sure if I can be any help since it's been a long time since we've done this.

We were on a cruise with a stop in Belize in March 2006 on Carnival Miracle. We booked the "Beach Break" excursion through Carnival. At the time, the little island was called "Bannister Island" and I'm aware that it's recently been called "Starfish Island". I've seen some recent pictures and it has been confirmed by others that it is the former "Bannister Island". When we took this tour, we met in the main lounge for a tender that took us directly to Bannister Island and that tender would be taking us directly back to the ship. Our plans were to get on a tender into Belize City once back on the ship but by the time we returned, there was a half hour left before we got back on board so we never made it into Belize City to shop. There is a gift shop (at least there was) but I didn't go in thinking I'd have an opportunity to get into Belize. According to the schedule and if things had been on schedule, we'd have had time to get a tender and spend about a half an hour in Belize City before the last tender back to the ship. There was a large group on this excursion and when it was time to get on the tender from Bannister Island back to the ship, we all boarded...except for one person. Long story short, this one person ended up holding everything up for about a half hour total.

I don't know if things have changed or if they now have tenders running back and forth to the island through out the day in case someone wanted to leave earlier. On that excursion in 2006, that was not an option.

This thread will be "bumped" and hopefully someone who has done the excursion recently can give you a definite answer. We did enjoy the day and the island was very nice with plenty of loungers for everyone, there's a large covered bar, food, a gift shop (at least there was), restrooms, volleyball and more but we just made it a beach day.

Thank you for your input, I have read your review (which I loved by the way)on your excursion in Belize. I have read as well that Bannister Island is now owned by Carnival and the name was changed. We aren't really too concerned about going in to Belize. However, if we have time I'm sure we would for a bit. Also thanks to your review we have also booked Little French Key. Really looking forward to that one.:)

Thank you for your input, I have read your review (which I loved by the way)on your excursion in Belize. I have read as well that Bannister Island is now owned by Carnival and the name was changed. We aren't really too concerned about going in to Belize. However, if we have time I'm sure we would for a bit. Also thanks to your review we have also booked Little French Key. Really looking forward to that one.:)

You are welcome and thank you! The time we went to Bannister Island while in Belize to be "beach bums" for the day, the rest of DH's family did the Altun Ha/River Wallace tour and raved about it, so we decided to do that this time and weren't disappointed. Would definitely love a beach/snorkel excursion next time we get to Belize. We were happy to at least get into Belize this time so next time, it will be "been there, done that" and won't be an issue but we were kind of disappointed that last time since it was a new port for us. I do hope you have time to get into Belize. The area where the tenders let you off is safe and there some nice shops. I've also heard great things about Little French Key and will probably do that next visit to Roatan. I hope you have a great cruise and great weather. :)

Edited by pghsteelerfan

• 2 weeks later...

We were just there this past week. A nice stop for us. Water a bit murky because bottom was stirred up but further out was clear. Hubby snorkeled, kids loved the starfish, conch, and lobsters in the fenced off area for touching. We kayaked around the mangroves, had the best piña coladas of the trip and very nice employees. Say hi to Robert and Howard. I'll see if I can figure out how to attach a picture. 6eec143c5df347169993401359ea9831.jpg6d0f5bc0de2bbd743bb25ee7714ac7af.jpg88dadf777325d60a168dfae53b63ba8f.jpg590b04d12f215bf70d896ea380a5736c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We booked this excursion since they take you right from the ship and will still have time to take tender to port after. Anyone ever done this?

First it is not Carnival's Starfish Island. It is an island that seems to change names yearly. It was previously called Bannister island. We have been there four times. It is a man made island out in the bay. It has chairs, a bar, some water sports and food, along with a gift shop. You can swim at the island but snorkeling is not allowed, but you wouldn't want to because the water is too cloudy. When wading you may encounter starfish on the bottom.

There are dozens of reports on Bannister Island.

16712711018_c5a943b711_b.jpg[/url] by

16714204119_13634b08d3_b.jpg by

16874479056_ddf2899fbe_b.jpg by

16714209339_32feaa4019_b.jpg by

Edited by zqvol

We were last there in 2008, with NCL. The seas were a little choppy that day and the other two Carnival ships there with us canceled Bannister. We ended up with about 15-20 people on the entire island and had a wonderful "deserted" island day. And yes, when we left the island and returned to the ship we were told to stay aboard the tender if we wanted to go into the city. We had a good hour to enjoy the port area. All this is dependent on time in port and the time the excursion is booked to run, of course.

Our itinerary changed and we are going to be in Belize with 2 other ships. I decided to cancel today after seeing that on cruistett. I read reviews of how crowded it can get if there is more than one ship. Originally it was just going to be us. Oh well for the $179 I saved for the 2 of us I think it was the right decision. It's a 4 port cruise and the other 3 days we have beach excursions as well. So we decided just to stay in port, eat and drink at the Wet Lizard, grab some chocolate from the chocolate factory for the grandkids and head bak to the ship. Thanks for the input everyone.