Is RCCL Cutting Corners?

e2011

I am suddenly seeing a whole lot more complaints than usual on this thread. Is it because RCCL brought over some executives from Carnival? Lots of food complaints! Also it seems that before they offer BOGOHO they simply jack the prices so in reality its not a good deal at all! Princess and NCL seem to offer a better value now but that was not the case a year ago? Anyone else noticing this trend?

Edited by e2011

I am suddenly seeing a whole lot more complaints than usual on this thread. Is it because RCCL brought over some executives from Carnival? Lots of food complaints! Also it seems that before they offer BOGOHO they simply jack the prices so in reality its not a good deal at all! Princess and NCL seem to offer a better value now but that was not the case a year ago? Anyone else noticing this trend?

About noticing complaints: People are about 104% more likely to post a complaint than a compliment on an internet message board.

Are there cutbacks? Sure. Are they any more dire than on any other mainstream cruiseline? Probably not.

BOGOHO are *sometimes* a deal; anyone who claims it *never* is simply isn't looking at a big enough sample size. There are still plenty of deals to be had, but unless you are willing to wait until closer to the sail date getting amazing deals on popular sailings isn't as likely to happen (of course if you do, you have to accept whatever cabin you can get).

There are sites out there that record every cruise line price change when it occurs, and at least one of those makes that data available for free, on a category by category basis, for every sailing. If you want to know if a current price is better than the previous price, you can simply consult one of these sites (as I do). Of the Royal cruises I've had booked since last March, the lowest prices were achieved in the May 2014 BOGOHO sale when I got multiple drops. I haven't yet seen better pricing than what I received during that sale, so in my case the most recent sales haven't been as impressive to me.

Have Royal changed things over the last 5, 10, and even 20 years? Yes, but so has Carnival and NCL (and others). I personally have no issues with the dining rooms on any line, but as someone who has been cruising for 19 years I can spot the differences.

Royal isn't exactly hoarding their cash; they are bringing out many new ships, entire new classes, and doing extensive refurbs to the newer ships (and noticeable refurbs to the rest).

20 years ago cruising was a very niche vacation. Still is in some ways, but more are doing it now than ever before. The lines want that business, and cruising had changed to try and make that happen (hence the previously never seen features introduced on NCL/RCI ships over the last 5 years). Lines aren't fighting over traditional cruisers as much anymore (in my opinion), they are trying to win over people who are relatively new to the idea.

Edited by JasonV1

All of the cruise lines are "cutting back"...they are trying to increase their bottom line..as are all businesses. Thanks to our government, it's harder and harder to see any profit from your legitimate endeavors. No one wants to increase prices, because the public is after the cheapest options. Hell, my preferred toilet paper is looking more like kite string nowadays...they've reduced the width of the roll so much, so they wouldn't have to increase the price.

So...they are trying to get those who have never sailed, and get them "hooked" on crappy amenities.....they don't care about those who have been sailing for years, and know how it used to be.....screw them..they have tons of new cruisers to draw from.

That's life, nowadays.

Folks need to stand up and say, "No more!"....stop sailing..stop buying...stop it! We need to stop being patsies! If no one booked a specialty restaurant...how long would they exist? If no one paid for a cabana..they would knock them down...WE are the problem, folks! It's us...we suck.

All of the cruise lines are "cutting back"...they are trying to increase their bottom line..as are all businesses. Thanks to our government, it's harder and harder to see any profit from your legitimate endeavors. No one wants to increase prices, because the public is after the cheapest options. Hell, my preferred toilet paper is looking more like kite string nowadays...they've reduced the width of the roll so much, so they wouldn't have to increase the price.

So...they are trying to get those who have never sailed, and get them "hooked" on crappy amenities.....they don't care about those who have been sailing for years, and know how it used to be.....screw them..they have tons of new cruisers to draw from.

That's life, nowadays.

Folks need to stand up and say, "No more!"....stop sailing..stop buying...stop it! We need to stop being patsies! If no one booked a specialty restaurant...how long would they exist? If no one paid for a cabana..they would knock them down...WE are the problem, folks! It's us...we suck.

Really !!!!! ;) I think .... MLB ...... NFL ........ NHL Owners would say the same thing.:D

Lines aren't fighting over traditional cruisers as much anymore (in my opinion), they are trying to win over people who are relatively new to the idea.

Totally agree. If they attract new cruisers, especially families, they will not notice cutbacks or changes. It will be new to them. I feel what we are seeing is more pushing for revenue combined with more choices. While I remember less pushing for incremental charges, there were also fewer choices. I like the increased entertainment choices and still enjoy finding a quiet spot to relax, enjoy a book, and watch the ever changing scenery. I call that place, my balcony. :) I do think free dining menus are more limited. But there are still enough choices, just fewer than before.

Now if they eliminate 70's night... :o

I just got off Allure of the Seas on Sunday. I didn't see any real evidence of cost cutting. In fact, the entertainment, service and food were excellent and it was a great cruise. As far as the BOGOHO - it is based on full price fare - they are not jacking the prices up.

Not true. Go back and look at a specific cruise fare before BOGOHO and after the promotion. It is a higher "full price fare" in many cases.

That's life, nowadays.

Really? Our first cruise in 1996 was on the Monarch and cost us $2600 (for two) for an inside cabin. Great cruise but the cruises are better now and we would never pay that much now (for the same time frame). New cruisers are making the cruises less expensive in my opinion. The business is expanding, not shrinking. Better for us that like to cruise.

(The drinks are a lot more expensive now, I'll give you that). We seldom go to specialty restaurants to your point, but if others want to spend on them then it makes my cruise less expensive. I'm not a patsy, I don't suck.