Earliest flight time after cruise -Barcelona

shay869

What is the earliest morning flight did you catch after cruise from Barcelona?

We have flight that depart on 09:10 in the morning, the ship suppose to arrive to the port on 05:00AM.

Can we make it and arrive on time to this flight?

Edited by shay869

It is theoretically possible but very tight. Unforeseen delays can and do happen. For a 9am flight you need to be at the airport by 7am.

You don't say which cruise line or which ship you are sailing on. Assuming it is a line that allows you to self disembark early and you can leave the ship with your luggage at 6am it would be tight to get a taxi and get to the airport within an hour.

Many people will reply that they have done this but ask yourself what are your options if you miss the flight. If there is another flight you can transfer to then go ahead. If it is a disaster if you miss it then don't even try.

I frequently sail into Barcelona and never book a flight earlier than 11am. Having said that I am a cautious person and physically unable to carry my own luggage off the ship.

My advice would be to ask your cruise line what their disembarkation policy is and the earliest flight time they recommend.

We flew out of BCN to JFK at 10:40 am. To be honest, I wouldn't have booked a flight that early but had no choice. It was our first time abroad and so we reserved private transport to pick us up at the pier. We had too much luggage to do express walk off but the Barcelona pier is so well organized that retrieving luggage was a breeze.

Even though our driver was late, we arrived with time to spare.

I don't think I would be comfortable booking a flight as early as yours but if you attempt it, I would definitely be prepared to carry your luggage off vs retrieving at the pier.

Good luck!

This summer we had a 10am flight out of BCN.

It was the only flight that day available for use with my frequent flier miles and I took it, contingent upon the following factors:

1) Our ship arrived the day before. Passengers were free to disembark at any time.

2)Our taxi was scheduled to pick us up at 6:45am (although he was about 10 minutes late, we were at the airport around 7:20am). I would definitely pre-arrange transportation if on a tight schedule, as our experience with transport in Barcelona has been completely different on each of our 3 trips.

3) We were able to use Priority Check-In as a credit card benefit (which saved a LOT of time). (Note: we did not have priority through security, but that didn't take long---YMMV).

Although we had plenty of time, you need to double-check a number of factors. It really depends on how early you can leave the ship (but even then, delays can happen). If you have another option, it would be better.

Enjoy your cruise!

We have had several early flights out of BCN - all around 10 o'clock a.m. We used self-disembarkation and took a taxi to the airport which cost around 30-35 Euros. We never had more than a hour from leaving our cabin until entering the airport doors as taxis are readily available and in the early morning it's a fast trip to the airport whereas later on it might be crowded on the motorway.

So you're on a tight schedule and it might be a squeeze but it should be quite possible to do it. Don't forget that even if your ship docks punctually at 5 a.m. you usually won't be able to leave the ship until 6 or 6.30 at the earliest.

Thank you for help.

We are booked on the Allure from Barcelona.

We have to catch the flight of 9:10 AM to Brussels and then connection flight to Iceland.

We have to arrive to Iceland till 03:00 or 04:00 PM. Beacause have to join a group that arrive to REK airport at the same time.

We are leaving Barcelona on June 14th To iceland.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for help.

We are booked on the Allure from Barcelona.

We have to catch the flight of 9:10 AM to Brussels and then connection flight to Iceland.

We have to arrive to Iceland till 03:00 or 04:00 PM. Beacause have to join a group that arrive to REK airport at the same time.

We are leaving Barcelona on June 14th To iceland.

Any suggestions?

The Allure will have a lot of passengers disembarking so there is likely to be a long queue for taxis.

As your time is very tight you will need to do self disembarkation and carry off your own luggage. I would suggest that you pre-book a car to the airport.

As I said before, this is doable but very tight. There is no allowance for any delays or things going wrong.

Be sure to have travel insurance & also Priority Check-In for the airport. Make sure your taxi company understands how early you want to leave (earlier than the standard 7am pickup, which may require a special request) & verify with your ship that they'll allow you to disembark with enough time.

You will probably have people tell you there are plenty of taxis available on-site; however, our experiences have been completely different each of our 3 times in BCN. I wouldn't take any chances with transportation.

Again, if any later flights become available, it would be better.

Have a great time!

Edited by syesmar

Hello...Can someone tell me how do you request priority check-in at the airport as I've never heard of that.

We are flying back from BCN to JFK May 16th after our cruise on RCCL's Vision Of The Seas on Delta and our flight leaves BCN at 11:15-AM.

This will also be our first time to Europe so we are hoping our flight time is OK. RCCL said as long as our flight was 10-AM or later, we would be fine getting to the airport in time. Sure hope so.

Dave

Dave4120,

Priority Check In is a benefit of Business Class or higher, and can also be a benefit of Airline credit cards and sometimes also for those with loyalty status. There's a dedicated line at check-in.

Your flight time should be fine.

Enjoy Barcelona!!

Edited by syesmar

Our last time disembarking in Barcelona, the taxis would not take on passengers before 7:00 am. They told us it was a union rule. There were literally 100's of taxis lined up (as well as quite a few passengers). If I was doing what the OP is, I would have a private transfer.

Our last time disembarking in Barcelona, the taxis would not take on passengers before 7:00 am. They told us it was a union rule. There were literally 100's of taxis lined up (as well as quite a few passengers). If I was doing what the OP is, I would have a private transfer.

When did you experience this 7am rule?. I was in Barcelona a few weeks ago and was not aware of this.

I was off my ship in Barcelona on October 14th and in a taxi by 6:30 a.m. and many people were off before we were taking taxis. Stop and think - if there were such a union rule - no one would be getting off the ship prior to 7 as Barcelona has to be the eastiest port to walk off - no stopping whatsoever if you have your luggage.

For whatever it's worth, I had to make a special request to be picked up prior to 7am. It was explained to me that 7am was the standard time and in their protocol, passengers weren't usually able to disembark before then (we arrived the day before, so they accepted my request for early transportation).

For whatever it's worth, I had to make a special request to be picked up prior to 7am. It was explained to me that 7am was the standard time and in their protocol, passengers weren't usually able to disembark before then (we arrived the day before, so they accepted my request for early transportation).

A special request to whom? whose 'protocol'? a taxi company or the cruise line?

What I am saying is that, if you do disembark before 7am, there should be taxis available. KirkNC is saying taxis will not pick you up earlier than this.

RollieUK,

The transportation company had a notice that the earliest pickup from the port was 7am to allow for disembarkation. I made a request to be picked up earlier and it was granted.

Edited by syesmar

• 2 weeks later...
Dave4120,

Priority Check In is a benefit of Business Class or higher, and can also be a benefit of Airline credit cards and sometimes also for those with loyalty status. There's a dedicated line at check-in.

Your flight time should be fine.

Enjoy Barcelona!!

Depending on the airline you can add this to your ticket at check-in. I just flew from Rome last week on American/US Air and added it for $36. Along with my TSA Pre-Check (which I didn't think I would get on a flight to the US) it was helpful and I got overhead bin space :)

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who said taxis were waiting and could pick up early do you know what day of the week it was? Were there any other ships in port too? We arrive back at 5am on a Tuesday. Our flight is at 930am. We didn't have many time options because all of the airlines were either around that time or like 6pm.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

For those of you who said taxis were waiting and could pick up early do you know what day of the week it was? Were there any other ships in port too? We arrive back at 5am on a Tuesday. Our flight is at 930am. We didn't have many time options because all of the airlines were either around that time or like 6pm.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Even though your ship arrives at 5am that does not mean the ship or port authorities will be ready for you to disembark that early. Check with your cruise line what is the earliest you will be able to disembark.

09:30 flight is very early. You will need to be at the airport before 07:30. What will you do if there is any delay in arriving in port?

If you do decide to take the chance and go for that flight I would recommend pre-booking a private car transfer to the airport.

We are in malaga the port before so in theory we should already be cleared through customs. It is a little late to choose a different one now anyways. Plus the time was originally later but the airline changed stuff to earlier ;-/

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

You should have no problem. Last month our arrival time was also 5:00 - it was a Tuesday. I can't remember whether there were other ships in port or not. All I remember is they said we could walk off starting at 6:30 a.m. - however when I looked out I saw others already leaving - so we took off and walked off around 6:20. There is nothing to go through departing in Barcelona other than showing your card to the ship as you depart - we walked straight through the terminal to tons of taxis waiting.

You should have no problem. Last month our arrival time was also 5:00 - it was a Tuesday. I can't remember whether there were other ships in port or not. All I remember is they said we could walk off starting at 6:30 a.m. - however when I looked out I saw others already leaving - so we took off and walked off around 6:20. There is nothing to go through departing in Barcelona other than showing your card to the ship as you depart - we walked straight through the terminal to tons of taxis waiting.

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

FYI just off the NCL Spirit. We docked at 5am (really earlier). Previous stop was Malaga (also in Spain). Walked off on our own at 540am. At the airport by 6am (cost 42€ for 2). Through security by 622am. Taxis were lined up waiting at the pier as were passengers who paid for NCL transfers at $30 USD each.