Chilkoot tour in Skagway

BananaAnna

We opted to do the bus up and train down..This worked well as we were picked up at the ship and on our way then got off the train right in town for some walking around and lunch. We did this in May and had great viewing weather. I'm sure you'll enjoy what ever you decide will work out for you...our's was just our choice.

We are planning to take a train/bus tour in Skagway with Chilkoot tours this fall.

Is it appreciably better to ride train first and return by bus' date=' or bus first and return by train?[/quote']

We will be doing this excursion in May and I have been doing a lot of reading. Most people on this board seem to reccomend taking the bus up and then the train down. So, that's what we will be doing.

They both are equally excellent. I have done both directions multiple times. :) Views are different depending direction as well.

There are 3 route options with the one way train to choose from. Consider carefully, and get the right match for you. :)

This a great tour. I have taken it 3 times taking the train first. But the other direction would be fine also. If you do the train last, set on the right side of the train facing the engine for the best way too get good pictures. If you go up the Mt. from Skagway you would want to set on the left side. That is just a helpful tip. Also you can go too the back of the car and step outside too take pictures. Have a fun time.

Yes, the train tour is a must. I agree with the others, Bus first and Train back hopefully gives you the best shot regarding fog etc. And train up Left and train down Right give you the best photo ops and stunning views.

For those that do the train both ways, the guys are really good and will switch you as you turn around which is good.

Also don't forget to do the Mount Roberts Tramway if you're going to Juneau.

And if you can't wait, there's a really interesting blog by one of the Jewel crew members about last season in Alaska on WordPress called Down to Kokomo. Some great stories!

Happy Sailing everyone! :D

Yes, the train tour is a must. I agree with the others, Bus first and Train back hopefully gives you the best shot regarding fog etc. And train up Left and train down Right give you the best photo ops and stunning views.

For those that do the train both ways, the guys are really good and will switch you as you turn around which is good.

Also don't forget to do the Mount Roberts Tramway if you're going to Juneau.

And if you can't wait, there's a really interesting blog by one of the Jewel crew members about last season in Alaska on WordPress called Down to Kokomo. Some great stories!

Happy Sailing everyone! :D

CrewLady

My wife's and mine first cruise this Sept to Alaska and would love to read the blog you are talking about but I have never read one and I search google and found WordPress but they want me to create a blog.

Would it be possible to give me a link or some guidance to get to it ? TIA

There are a few days that the train only goes one way so you may not have a choice of what to do first. You can find that information on the RR website. Also, it's not always the last car. We were in the middle with some non Chilkoot people. Still a great tour though.

There are a few days that the train only goes one way so you may not have a choice of what to do first. You can find that information on the RR website. Also, it's not always the last car. We were in the middle with some non Chilkoot people. Still a great tour though.

This only pertains to the Lake Bennett train. The one way Fraser run both directions. twice most days. Schedules are simple to verify.

This only pertains to the Lake Bennett train. The one way Fraser run both directions. twice most days. Schedules are simple to verify.

• No Fraser train service on May 5, 6, 7, 8 & 15 ; September 15, 17, 18, 22, 24 & 28
  • The PM departures are not available on Sundays* and May 2, 4, 11, 12, 13 & 18; June 4; September 23 & 28
  • The AM departures are not available on September 22 & 27.
  • *Sunday, May 21, June 25 & July 30 will including morning and afternoon departures to and from Skagway

This means if you are there on a Sunday as we were, your only option is to take the train up and the bus back. There is no option to do the bus up and the train back as there is no afternoon train.

We're doing the Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion and will be there mid-week, mid-August. The options were 7:30 train, 8:30 bus or 10 (possibly 10:30) bus.

The last time we were in Skagway we rented a car and drove up to Carcross. It was great but doing the bus/train will give DH a better opportunity to relax and enjoy the trip.

I'm comfortable with having selected the 8:30 time slot and appreciate everyone's input.