Free Radical Catamaran Tour

ValerieJo

Hi!

I can't seem to find any information on CC about Free Radical catamaran tours even though they are #1 on Trip Advisor.

Has anyone gone on one of their tours? Know anyone who has? Would love to hear some thoughts from CC members.

http://www.svfreeradical.com/charter_spirit/cruiseshipportroyaldaycharter.htm

Thanks.

Hi!

I can't seem to find any information on CC about Free Radical catamaran tours even though they are #1 on Trip Advisor.

Has anyone gone on one of their tours? Know anyone who has? Would love to hear some thoughts from CC members.

http://www.svfreeradical.com/charter_spirit/cruiseshipportroyaldaycharter.htm

Thanks.

Threads stay on the Cruise Critic forums for quite a long time. However you can't "see" all of them. This is due to one of your settings on your Cruise Critic account. It depends on what setting you have for your Default Thread Age Cut Off option.

When you registered for membership, your option was set as Use Forum Default as it still is today per one of my Moderator screens. The default is about 30 days. Any threads with a last post date older than about 30 days will not be shown to you.

You can change your Default Thread Age Cut Off option to another time period for the threads to be shown to you on the various Cruise Critic forums. It is easy to do and here are the directions:

• Click User CP
  • Click Edit Options
  • On the Edit Options page, scroll down to the Thread Display Options section
  • Note the Default Thread Age Cut Off box
  • Use the drop down menu there to change the option. The list of choices is long and goes from Show threads from last day to Show all threads
  • When done, click the Save Changes button

I use Show all threads. If you change yours to the same setting, you will be surprised to see how many threads are actually in all the different Cruise Critic forums.

While you are there on the Edit Options page, look around to see if there are any other options you might want to change on your Cruise Critic account.

Also, I typed in "Radical catamaran" in the Search this Forum feature on this forum per the Sticky titled How To Perform More Detailed and Specific Searches on the Boards at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=969846 and here are a few I found for you:

Free Radical Catamaran . . . How Quickly Do They Respond? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1887902

Free Radical Catamaran http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1724539

Free Radical - How is the snorkeling http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1804164

Free Radical Catamaran http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1603985

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful!

Kat 50.gif

• 4 months later...

Just came off the Carnival Dream on Sunday. This is NOT a Carnival sponsored tour -- it's WAY better than any Carnival tour (and I've sailed CCL and used it's tours for most of my 13 cruises). Spent last Wednesday aboard the Free Radical with the owners, Ed and Julie. Ed and Julie, from Canada, circumnavigated the globe, traveling more than 60,000 miles, in a smaller catamaran before settling in Roatan. There were only 7 of us booked on this charter. Their van driver picked us up just outside of the Carnival owned port area and drove us 20 minutes across the island to their dock. Ed and Julie greeted us and as soon as we boarded, offered fresh baked muffins and beverages (they live aboard and have full cooking/baking facilities). After our first amazing snorkeling stop, there were fresh baked peanut butter cookies, pizza baguettes and homemade pico de gallo with tortilla chips. The second snorkeling stop was even more amazing than the first! After another hour or so in the water, the lunch bell sounded. As they started setting out the buffet, I asked if they knew there were only 7 of us - to which Julie replied they do the same food for 6 as they do for 30, just in smaller quantities! They offered soda, beer, and fresh made pina coladas, then homemade lasagna, caesar salad, grilled chicken kabobs, meatballs in pineapple sauce, and island red beans & rice dish. All of this amazing food (none of which goes to waste, leftovers are distributed to the crew and scraps ground for food for island pigs) was followed on the ride back to the dock with fresh baked banana bread with buttercream frosting and carrot cake muffins with cream cheese frosting. It was worth far more than they charge.

• 3 weeks later...
Just came off the Carnival Dream on Sunday. This is NOT a Carnival sponsored tour -- it's WAY better than any Carnival tour (and I've sailed CCL and used it's tours for most of my 13 cruises). Spent last Wednesday aboard the Free Radical with the owners, Ed and Julie. Ed and Julie, from Canada, circumnavigated the globe, traveling more than 60,000 miles, in a smaller catamaran before settling in Roatan. There were only 7 of us booked on this charter. Their van driver picked us up just outside of the Carnival owned port area and drove us 20 minutes across the island to their dock. Ed and Julie greeted us and as soon as we boarded, offered fresh baked muffins and beverages (they live aboard and have full cooking/baking facilities). After our first amazing snorkeling stop, there were fresh baked peanut butter cookies, pizza baguettes and homemade pico de gallo with tortilla chips. The second snorkeling stop was even more amazing than the first! After another hour or so in the water, the lunch bell sounded. As they started setting out the buffet, I asked if they knew there were only 7 of us - to which Julie replied they do the same food for 6 as they do for 30, just in smaller quantities! They offered soda, beer, and fresh made pina coladas, then homemade lasagna, caesar salad, grilled chicken kabobs, meatballs in pineapple sauce, and island red beans & rice dish. All of this amazing food (none of which goes to waste, leftovers are distributed to the crew and scraps ground for food for island pigs) was followed on the ride back to the dock with fresh baked banana bread with buttercream frosting and carrot cake muffins with cream cheese frosting. It was worth far more than they charge.

I agree completely. We joined Ed and Julie two years ago and we can't wait to see them again New Years Eve when we sail there on the Emerald Princess.

I understand they provide transportation to and from the pier. However on their website they state that they have no responsibility to get you back to the ship on time. It is "up to you to monitor your time" ?? Am I missing something?

From the Free Radical web site:

The charter includes transportation to and from the cruise ship dock, snacks, lunch, all beverages (soda, bottled water, local beer and spirits) and snorkeling gear.

The 4 hours is the time you spend on the boat. Our main concern is getting you back to your ship on time so it may be that your trip is adjusted to take this into account. This year we had only 2 charters shorter than the 4 hours on the boat.

Just like Guest 2000 said, they are very conscious of getting you back to the cruise ship in time. Transportation was very smooth for us. We still had plenty of time after we got back to shop in port and pick up different things for everyone back home.

Just like Guest 2000 said, they are very conscious of getting you back to the cruise ship in time. Transportation was very smooth for us. We still had plenty of time after we got back to shop in port and pick up different things for everyone back home.

Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

does anyone know if there is time to shop at the west end before they take you back??

we will be on in Dec.

I wish you well

This tour is the opposite direction from the west end. Plenty of time for shopping in port once you get back. It would be cutting it close if you took a cab to the west end and back after.

• 2 months later...

First class operation. We went in October with 2 other couples from our roll call so there were only 6 of us on the excursion. We had a fantastic time - Ed and Julie are wonderful hosts who have a fantastic crew. It's one of the better private excursions we've done in 20+ cruises. You will have a wonderful time with them.

We were on a Radical Adventure snorkeling trip just last week and it was great!

1. Julie was great about corresponding with me on various aspects of the excursion and she answered any questions I had.

2. About a week or so before our excursion, Julie sent very detailed instructions on where to meet the taxi driver who would take us to their ship which is located at the eastern end of the island at Port Royal. Her directions were excellent and we easily found him. (BTW, the taxis are air conditioned and carry up to 9 passengers. The trip to Port Royal took about 35 - 40 minutes.)

3. In addition to Julie and Ed, there were 4 other staff on the boat--3 young men who help with the boat and snorkeling and a cook. They could not have been more friendly and seemed to enjoy talking with the passengers.

4. The ship sailed about 45 minutes to our first stop where we snorkeled for a bit over an hour. We then made a short (10 minute max) sail to another spot where we snorkeled for another 30 - 40 minutes.

5. After the 2nd snorkel stop, we had lunch which consisted of Caesar salad, chicken kabobs, shrimp kabobs, sweet-and-sour meatballs, and rice. Dessert was banana cake with chocolate icing. Prior to lunch, we were served peanut butter cookies and fresh salsa and chips. There were unlimited sodas and beer in the cooler and pina coladas from the blender. All the food and drink were delicious!

6. Was the snokeling the best I have ever done? No, but I've been to some pretty amazing snorkeling spots, including the Great Barrier Reef. But, there were a lot of varieties of coral to see as well as barracudas, sea anemones, parrotfish, and even a huge eel!

7. As promised, we spent 4 hours on the water and we were back to the ship well in advance of our 6:30 pm sailing time.

I would highly recommend an excursion with Radical Adventures.

Just wondered if there were any updated/recent reviews? Can't wait until March :D

As a party of six, we took this excursion. Like our fellow passengers who have reviewed the day, we also enjoyed and recommend the trip. The captain has sea legends, since he and his wife have sailed the globe. The crew were chatty and terrific hosts. The reef to us was great, and we enjoyed the spectacular underwater sights.

As for timing back at port, we had plenty of time afterward to shop and even sip a margarita on the beach prior to re-boarding. And we all caught plenty of sunshine that day, so we sat in the shade at the restaurant there on Mahogany Bay beach. The restaurant was nearly empty.

Enjoy your cruise

Edited by LaraTiara

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We would really like to go on this excursion, on Monday, March 23, but there are only 4 of us, and no one else has signed up at this time. Guess we may have to look for a plan B. Does anyone know of any excursions similar to this that they would recommend?

You may still pick up another couple. Our group got bigger at the last minute. Ask people on your roll call if they are interested. A good chance that there are some people trying to make last minute plans and they will be looking through the roll call for ideas.

• 2 months later...

A group of 11 from our roll call chartered with them in January. The day was outstanding from the moment they picked us up in a taxi from outside the cruise terminal to when they returned us to the terminal. These people are super operators, have an excellent crew working with them, the catamaran is comfortable and the food drinks and snorkeling was terrific. They are people I would want use when we go back to Roatan.

http://www.svfreeradical.com/#_=_