Cuba cruises

Somewhere, I don't remember where, I read RCCL and some of the other lines are in serious negotiations with the U.S. government and Cuba about potential cruises here Has anyone else heard about this?

Can you see the political headlines? RICH people on cruise ships get to visit Cuba, while all the poor are stuck at home suffering.

Seriously, I doubt there will be an exception for one particular group of people. It would be too hot an issue.

But, I truly want to visit Cuba without having to go to Mexico then fly to Cuba.

Somewhere, I don't remember where, I read RCCL and some of the other lines are in serious negotiations with the U.S. government and Cuba about potential cruises here Has anyone else heard about this?

It is currently legal for US citizens to fly to Cuba on approved visits as long as the restrictions set by the gov't are satisfied.

After several applications and numerous communications with the Treasury Dept. (the agency that oversees these visits) all were met with refusals at every point.

Even though all aspects of the cruise would have met with the same restrictions placed on the visits by air the applications were refused. I doubt that without a ton of money and a staff of lawyers it will not be possible.

Large cruise ships would run into problems fulfilling the US requirements since the programs allowed under the current regulations require educational and cultural venues with person to person contact that would limit these programs to groups of about 40 persons. All passengers would have to comply and take part in the programs (which would leave plenty of time for independent activities while in Cuba).

The infrastructure for setting up all the needed programs, transportation and other aspects for such a cruise with anything more than 400-600 passengers is not doable at the present time.

Maybe someday... But until things change the only way to legally visit Cuba for US citizens is with Treasury approved tours by air.

OMO

bosco

There is a tour operator in Calgary, Alberta who has negotiated with the Cuban government to operate week-long cruises around the island of Cuba. He leased the Greek ship "Louis Cristal" and these cruises began in Dec. 2013. My husband and I did this cruise this past January - we flew from Toronto to Montego Bay and boarded there, but had the option to also board in Havana. The majority of passengers were from Canada, Scandinavia, Britain, and S. America, but we did meet a few Americans on board.

It was a wonderful cruise, and having never visited Cuba previously, gave us a look into the life and culture of the island and its people. We thoroughly enjoyed it. The cruises are available again this winter - Dec. to March. The ship was small and old, but in immaculate condition, and the crew was fabulous. It turned out to be one of our favourite cruises to date.

Now we are looking forward to our next cruise to Maritime Canada on the Legend OTS from Quebec City in Oct. :)

Edited by kahlolin

Louis Cruise Lines, MS Cristal sails from Havana and Montego Bay, Jamaica.

This sample itinerary gives an example of all the ports of call in Cuba that could be developed.

: Havana, Cuba (23 Feb d2330); Santiago de Cuba, Cuba (26 Feb 1000-1900); Montego Bay, Jamaica (27 Feb 0730-1730); Cienfuegos, Cuba (28 Feb 1100-1900); Isla de la Juventud, Cuba (01 Mar 0830-1430); Havana, Cuba (02 Mar a0930)

This ship was the NCL Leeward from 1995 to 2000.

For trivia buffs, President George H.W. Bush has sailed on this ship in her Presidential suite as the Leeward and the Swedish Royal Family had residence in the ship's Royal Suite as the Svea 92 / Sally Albatross under the Barcelona Olympics.

Edited by MADflyer

Other than beautiful, unspoiled beaches, there isn't a lot to see or do in Cuba. Havana is extremely run down, and there is no money to fix the infrastructure.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Louis Cruise Lines, MS Cristal sails from Havana and Montego Bay, Jamaica.

This sample itinerary gives an example of all the ports of call in Cuba that could be developed.

: Havana, Cuba (23 Feb d2330); Santiago de Cuba, Cuba (26 Feb 1000-1900); Montego Bay, Jamaica (27 Feb 0730-1730); Cienfuegos, Cuba (28 Feb 1100-1900); Isla de la Juventud, Cuba (01 Mar 0830-1430); Havana, Cuba (02 Mar a0930)

This ship was the NCL Leeward from 1995 to 2000.

For trivia buffs, President George H.W. Bush has sailed on this ship in her Presidential suite as the Leeward and the Swedish Royal Family had residence in the ship's Royal Suite as the Svea 92 / Sally Albatross under the Barcelona Olympics.

Yes, holds 1200 passengers. Just fly to mo bay, pay for the visa on the ship, looks easy enough. Cristal says all USA are welcome and Cuba has no restriction against usa tourist.

I think it is about time the USA got over its problem with Cuba, especially when one considers travel from the USA to China and Russia, not to mention the goods we have produced in China. The island features many resorts, and there are things to see- it's a huge island!

What the USA and Cuba need to do is sit down and work something out that benefits both countries, especially when it comes to travel.

Do USA travelers have to declare the itinerary? And, is that a problem?

Although Cuba had cancelled visitation by US citizens a while ago due to banking problems I think it has been cleared up.

Cuba does not stamp your passport.

It is a federal crime for a US citizen to travel to Cuba unless it is done with permission of the Office of Assets Control a division of the US treasury.

Many people do go there however by way of Canada or other places where there are no restrictions. I think the US is the only country that has such a restriction.

bosco

Can you see the political headlines? RICH people on cruise ships get to visit Cuba, while all the poor are stuck at home suffering.

Seriously, I doubt there will be an exception for one particular group of people. It would be too hot an issue.

But, I truly want to visit Cuba without having to go to Mexico then fly to Cuba.

I case you don't know this, anyone in the US can visit Cuba if you have enough money! example http://authenticcuba.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw0a2eBRDVrabv9vWJ90USJACsKRDHZXNauJJVAc9Q1e-Wi-94oZ7MwjbuWfsM3XqUO3cRnxoCcO3w_wcB or http://www.globusjourneys.com/Vacation-Packages/Tour-Cuba/ Edited by FLACRUISER99

I think it is about time the USA got over its problem with Cuba, especially when one considers travel from the USA to China and Russia, not to mention the goods we have produced in China.

What the USA and Cuba need to do is sit down and work something out that benefits both countries, especially when it comes to travel.

The US suffered close to 800 thousand dead and wounded during WW2 and there are no restrictions placed on any of the countries involved.

Twenty years later a ban is placed on travel to Cuba and has been in effect for 50 years.

Wow... It must have worked, NOT.

Gotta love politics and all the corruption that goes with it.

bosco

http://yourcubacruise.com/TermsConditions.aspx

You can fly RT MO BAY for this cruise from usa

It is however not legal for those of us who live in the US.

..."At the present time, there are certain restrictions in the USA that govern travel by Americans to Cuba. Cuba Cruise is not a US company and we are not in a position to advise you about those restrictions. We encourage you to check with your local authorities for that information."

bosco