Best Transport to Cape Liberty Anthem of Seas sailing

mango skin

Hi, will be flying into Newark airport Two days earlier...wondering about renting a car $$

I'm curious to know if I rent a Car are there any car rental companies that will drop you off at the cruise port or if they will pick you up from the cruise port?

Otherwise, Any advice on reliable but economical transportation getting to port ?

There are two adults a child and toddler in our party. Any suggestions re airport or cruise transfers and prices are greatly appreciated! Thanks for any feedback...

Hi, will be flying into Newark airport Two days earlier...wondering about renting a car $$

I'm curious to know if I rent a Car are there any car rental companies that will drop you off at the cruise port or if they will pick you up from the cruise port?

Otherwise, Any advice on reliable but economical transportation getting to port ?

There are two adults a child and toddler in our party. Any suggestions re airport or cruise transfers and prices are greatly appreciated! Thanks for any feedback...

Please post more details about your big picture plan. Where are you staying? Why are you renting a car? What do you plan to do precruise?

The East Coast Departure forum has a lot of good info but specific to your situation. I am actually doing almost the same thing this weekend so I'll try to put the answers all in one place. We will be flying into Newark a day early, renting a car to visit family overnight and then heading to the port the next day.

Based on research online, enterprise is the only rental company that will drop you off at the port but I can't vouch for the accuracy of this information. They have a location relatively close to the port. However, they charge an extra fee to drop the car at a different location than where you pick it up. I'm an Avis member so I only checked these 2 companies. I could rent from Avis for $100 and then have to pay transportation from the airport to the port. I could rent from Enterprise for $200 and get a free ride to the port. Since all transportation options are less than $100 I eliminated Enterprise as an option.

Based on information here a taxi will run you about $50-60. The Royal transport shuttle is $29 per person (not sure if kids are the same). A car service will run between $50-85 depending on size of vehicle. Many people here recommend Dial7 so we have booked them. We are only 2 people so we will fit into the $50 vehicle. Not only is it the cheapest option but it's also the most convenient. We have the reservation set for them to pick us up at the Avis rental return so we save the time and hassle of having to take the tram back to the main airport terminal and wait in taxi lines or shuttle busses to fill up.

Hope this information helps. And hope it all works out for me :)

The East Coast Departure forum has a lot of good info but specific to your situation. I am actually doing almost the same thing this weekend so I'll try to put the answers all in one place. We will be flying into Newark a day early, renting a car to visit family overnight and then heading to the port the next day.

Based on research online, enterprise is the only rental company that will drop you off at the port but I can't vouch for the accuracy of this information. They have a location relatively close to the port. However, they charge an extra fee to drop the car at a different location than where you pick it up. I'm an Avis member so I only checked these 2 companies. I could rent from Avis for $100 and then have to pay transportation from the airport to the port. I could rent from Enterprise for $200 and get a free ride to the port. Since all transportation options are less than $100 I eliminated Enterprise as an option.

Based on information here a taxi will run you about $50-60. The Royal transport shuttle is $29 per person (not sure if kids are the same). A car service will run between $50-85 depending on size of vehicle. Many people here recommend Dial7 so we have booked them. We are only 2 people so we will fit into the $50 vehicle. Not only is it the cheapest option but it's also the most convenient. We have the reservation set for them to pick us up at the Avis rental return so we save the time and hassle of having to take the tram back to the main airport terminal and wait in taxi lines or shuttle busses to fill up.

Hope this information helps. And hope it all works out for me :)

That's an excellent summary of the available options! You did your homework and made the best decision for your circumstances. Have a wonderful cruise!

Still deciding between Embassy Suites airport and Hampton Inn airport...I know Embassy Suites has a shuttle package to the port but the room rate is significantly higher and only includes 2 adults we will still have to pay for our older child separately.

We want a car to explore the area and pick up a few items(snacks etc for the cruise) and plan to return the car the morning of the cruise and get trans from the airport.

That's the 2nd time someone has reported being charged $14 in tolls by Dial7. That's crazy. Try Black Executive cars or

Independent driver - 888-816-0973

inde.drvr@gmail.com

Toll should be $1.65 (exit 14) or $3.00 (exit 13A). $14 would include a trip through the tunnel to NYC.

Thanks for that info Carol. Really ticks me off that I got ripped off. I'll use one of the other services for my Anthem cruise next fall.

Still deciding between Embassy Suites airport and Hampton Inn airport...I know Embassy Suites has a shuttle package to the port but the room rate is significantly higher and only includes 2 adults we will still have to pay for our older child separately.

We want a car to explore the area and pick up a few items(snacks etc for the cruise) and plan to return the car the morning of the cruise and get trans from the airport.

Seriously, where exactly do you plan to go with the car? Renting a car is expensive unless you have a special destination. Newark is not a vacation destination. Driving into NYC is $18-21 in tolls and at least $40-50 to park.

Please provide more details about how you envision spending the day with a rental car.

I have been reading your posts on the transportation question and I have a question from all of these answers. My party of 4 will be flying into EWR the day before and staying at the Embassy Suites Elizabeth - Airport and are considering taking a taxi to the ship and then a taxi back to EWR at the end of cruise in October. Any idea if this is advisable and how much would be an estimate of the cost. I want the least hassle as possible as a couple of the party are older ladies. Any suggestions?

in Newark for sure..gonna visit a friend in Jersey....Maybe a Walmart or Target and I know Jersey Garden Mall is close by....not really interested in NYC..I just dont like the idea of bring confined to the hotel and having to pay for taxi round trip every time we move.

I figure the taxi fare will add up in range to car rental over 2 days...

in Newark for sure..gonna visit a friend in Jersey....Maybe a Walmart or Target and I know Jersey Garden Mall is close by....not really interested in NYC..I just dont like the idea of bring confined to the hotel and having to pay for taxi round trip every time we move.

I figure the taxi fare will add up in range to car rental over 2 days...

That's good. Just a reality check. We've had folks post who had planned to drive around Manhattan to visit all the sights!

I have been reading your posts on the transportation question and I have a question from all of these answers. My party of 4 will be flying into EWR the day before and staying at the Embassy Suites Elizabeth - Airport and are considering taking a taxi to the ship and then a taxi back to EWR at the end of cruise in October. Any idea if this is advisable and how much would be an estimate of the cost. I want the least hassle as possible as a couple of the party are older ladies. Any suggestions?

How much luggage will you have? Four adults and luggage may not fit in a random taxi. That's one reason we recommend booking a car service so you get a vehicle will accommodate not only 4 passengers, but also all the luggage.

We would have probably 4 pieces of luggage and the 4 adults. Can you ask for a larger taxi which would fit that. As you can see, I am not familiar with tax service usage. Any idea of the cost?

It should be in the $55-70 range including tip.

You can contact these folks 4-6 weeks ahead. This is no frills and no web site.

inde.drvr@gmail.com

Edited by 138east

Interesting. I booked Dial7 based on all the rave reviews here. I just checked the "fine print" and it says they will charge round trip tolls if they don't have a separate fare to get back into Manhattan. So it sounds like even though the passengers don't incur those rolls, we are getting dinged for the drivers tolls before and after he picks us up because they are Manhattan based. Not sure if it is too late to change my reservation since its on Saturday morning. I did use a $6 off promo code so that will cover some of the bogus toll charges. But at least now I know for next time. So much for all the research I did.

Interesting. I booked Dial7 based on all the rave reviews here. I just checked the "fine print" and it says they will charge round trip tolls if they don't have a separate fare to get back into Manhattan. So it sounds like even though the passengers don't incur those rolls, we are getting dinged for the drivers tolls before and after he picks us up because they are Manhattan based. Not sure if it is too late to change my reservation since its on Saturday morning. I did use a $6 off promo code so that will cover some of the bogus toll charges. But at least now I know for next time. So much for all the research I did.

Well that really sucks. I wonder what Carmellimo does. I will be mentioning that in the future for folks taking NJ only trips.

You could try Black Executive or

inde.drvr@gmail.com

How much luggage will you have? Four adults and luggage may not fit in a random taxi. That's one reason we recommend booking a car service so you get a vehicle will accommodate not only 4 passengers, but also all the luggage.

In NYC area, we had no trouble fitting four (4) 22" airline-sized carry-on luggage plus 2 backpacks into the huge trunk of those shrinking fleet of Ford Crown Victoria (ex-police cars, reconditioned & safety inspected) for rides to/from airports & cruise terminals. However, the pool is shrinking with the gradual transition to smaller & more fuel efficient fleets like the Toyota Camry & Nissan Altima - as yellow & green taxis (in the outer boroughs as street hails) along with some mid-sized SUV's and of course, mini-vans at no extra charge, some equipped for accessible pax.

Lately, Carmel is using mainly the Camary & Altima as the standard 4 door sedan, which is good for 3 to 4 passengers but only 3 larger sized suitcase, with some room for smaller hand pieces. However, you can only book it for 3 pax & 3 pc. of luggage maximum. Sometimes, we get a free, no-charge upgrade to the larger & usually "older" Lincoln Towncars (they are typically deluxe/luxury "graded" at a slightly higher charge but cheaper than mini-vans, with truly huge trunk)

However, there is no way of knowing & being guaranteed that their dispatch will find & give you a Lincoln Towncar - and, car services like Carmel are no longer using Ford Crown Vic (getting too "old" & costly to service). If you try to book one for 4 pax and even 3 pc. of luggage, I believe it will not be permitted and the message of "exceed capacity" would pop-up ... promptly for a minivan, good for 5 pax & 5+ luggage (cost is usually about $15 or $20 higher, depending on typical distance) - it is definitely more comfortable & you sit/ride higher and get a little better sightseeing viewing run to the port.

On the subject/question of being charged round-trip tolls for airports, especially for EWR from/to Manhattan or NYC - Carmel has a similar written policy like Dial 7 - quoting from their website's FAQ:

Not every trip to/from the airports will result in a toll. If there is a toll to/from JFK or LGA that toll will likely be $7.50. Tolls to/from EWR (Newark Airport) will likely be $16. Tolls for roundtrip reservations are charged each way. The driver reserves the right to take the best route due to traffic/weather conditions.

Licensed/yellow taxis hailed at EWR Airport coming into Manhattan do the same - the rules are identical, more or less, fair or otherwise. We don't use nor support those ride-sharing services like Uber/X and/or Lyft - so I can't help with finding out what their policies/practices are - in the NY area market.

As for making a stop to pickup soda/liquor before heading to Cape Liberty, the fees with Carmel should be either $16 or $22, call them over the telephone & ask them for a specific quote with the address/info on the "extra stop" - if it is considered "on the way" - you pay less and "out of the way" - pay higher $$. Dial 7 is similar on the charges, as even for a quick run-in, pay & run-out and let's go situation is an extra 10 or maybe 15 minutes on top of a "straight" & direct run from Point A to Point B - the charges are reasonable & necessary, as you will otherwise have to be rebook, wait & pay 2 charges instead of a single one ... assuming that there is a car nearby, ready for immediate pickup in the next 10 or 15 minutes.

In our case we will need a car service from EWR to Manhattan and then a few days later from Manhattan to Cape Liberty. Dial 7 or Carmel Limo's would be a good choice?

Yes, Carmel or Dial 7 would be good choices when traveling from EWR to Manhattan or Manhattan to Cape Liberty.