Money limit ? on kids sign/sail card?

sunlover5

A couple questions as it has been a long time since our kids were young and cruised, but taking the grandkids. If we put a daily amount on their sign/sail card and they do not spend it all one day, does it roll over to the next day?

Or Can you put a one time lump sum amount on it and then they can spend it whenever until that amount is gone?

Sorry if this is confusing..:confused: and thank you!!

A couple questions as it has been a long time since our kids were young and cruised, but taking the grandkids. If we put a daily amount on their sign/sail card and they do not spend it all one day, does it roll over to the next day?

Or Can you put a one time lump sum amount on it and then they can spend it whenever until that amount is gone?

Sorry if this is confusing..:confused: and thank you!!

You may put a lump sum down and the card should be deactivated for further charges once they've spent it.

In our experience you can only do a lump sum, not a daily limit. You can add more if needed also, but it has to be added to the original amount. So if you give them a $50 limit and they spend it and then decide to give them another $20, you have to change their amount to $70. I did it wrong the first time and their cards didn't work, so had to go back and do it again.

In our experience you can only do a lump sum, not a daily limit. You can add more if needed also, but it has to be added to the original amount. So if you give them a $50 limit and they spend it and then decide to give them another $20, you have to change their amount to $70. I did it wrong the first time and their cards didn't work, so had to go back and do it again.

I thought you could set a daily limit. No? So if I give them $20 a day max, I can't put a lump sum down but have to load the card each day with the $20? I don't get it.

I thought you could set a daily limit. No? So if I give them $20 a day max, I can't put a lump sum down but have to load the card each day with the $20? I don't get it.

Like I said this was our experience, I tried to set a daily limit and was told I couldn't set that up to happen automatically. So if I wanted to give them $20 a day I would have to give them a $20 limit the first day and then the second day, give them a $40 limit third day a $60 limit and so on. It was just easier for us to put the entire allowance on at once and when it was gone, it was gone. Again this was OUR experience, as with SO many other things on Carnival, individual ships and individual crew may do things differently.

you put down a lump sum. or you visit guest services each day to put on the set amount.

But be warned that if the kid does go over you are still responsible since they are minors.

I turned my kids cards off after our first cruise. Not much they can buy onboard that they cant get at home.

Our kids are grown and gone but our most recent cruise we spent some time in the game room and I watched a kid on this punching game where the harder you punch the more tickets you got. It was 1.10 a swipe and I saw that kids swipe in 20 times in one minute. I had to walk away from the heat of his BLUE sign and sail card as it was on FIRE! :cool:

Like I said this was our experience, I tried to set a daily limit and was told I couldn't set that up to happen automatically. So if I wanted to give them $20 a day I would have to give them a $20 limit the first day and then the second day, give them a $40 limit third day a $60 limit and so on. It was just easier for us to put the entire allowance on at once and when it was gone, it was gone. Again this was OUR experience, as with SO many other things on Carnival, individual ships and individual crew may do things differently.

Oh brother! That sucks! Thanks for putting this information out there. I totally thought you could set a daily limit. I have to seriously rethink things.

Oh brother! That sucks! Thanks for putting this information out there. I totally thought you could set a daily limit. I have to seriously rethink things.

Unless they spend a considerable amount of time in the arcade do you think they will spend 20+ each day

Unless they spend a considerable amount of time in the arcade do you think they will spend 20+ each day

Nope. But they have been saving their own money and I want them to be able to spend it on whatever they want within reason. Yes it's the arcade primarily that concerns me with my 12 yo. He did good with it last year but he won an Xbox and this year is determined to win something else! He could easily rack up $20 worth of swipes challenging himself. :)

Our kids are grown and gone but our most recent cruise we spent some time in the game room and I watched a kid on this punching game where the harder you punch the more tickets you got. It was 1.10 a swipe and I saw that kids swipe in 20 times in one minute. I had to walk away from the heat of his BLUE sign and sail card as it was on FIRE! :cool:

On their first cruise my older son spent $37 in the arcade in about 10 minutes, that was the end of their arcade experience. They aren't allowed in there without us. On their last 2 cruises, we didn't set any limits, just told them the rules and they stuck to them.

Thank you for all the info! Grandchildren are 6 and 10 so they won't be in the arcade without one of us....

We take our grand daughter with us. she is now 9. Has been on 5 cruises.

The only thing she buys is the choc strawberries 5 for 4.bucks.

I am trying to really rack my head to think what she can buy on any given day for 20.00

in ports sure but not on the ship.

chips and pretzels can be had from room service. (just let them tip a buck or two) we let her call for night time before bed. She loves that

Don't get wrapped up in the $20 a day. I hadn't come to a conclusion yet. My cruise isn't until August. It was just a simple question. My 12 year old could spend $20 a day on a sea day if we allow him to go to the arcade and buy a shake daily, which he loves and definitely will want since we will be on the Sunshine. I know neither one of them will spend that amount everyday. That's not the goal anyway. I want them to have limits but still have liberty since they have been diligent about saving their some of their own spending money. I load my own s&s card and don't anticipate spending every dime I put on it.

Last year neither one ever went in the arcade without us. This year since we're hoping to get a cabin on deck 5, which is where the arcade and shake spot is located, I'm thinking he may mosey on over to either spot since the cabin is so close. It's really not that big of a deal. Just I had seen so many other threads saying you could set a daily limit. Yes my kids lovvee room service. We get it almost every night. Beats waiting in a long line for pizza!

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP. Hope you and the grands have a great cruise!

Edited by cruizinisthebest

This is a good time to teach budgeting! Give them a "lump" sum, tell them how to check their balance, and when it's gone...it's gone! Aside from the arcade, I can't imagine a kid buying much!

Edited by cb at sea

We just sailed on the Liberty with our 12 yr. son over New Years and the arcade (especially the Mind craft claw game :rolleyes: was huge attraction for him.

We put $125 limit (at guest services we had it fixed at $125 for the week) on his card BUT told him his limit was $25 a day as we knew that the majority would be spent in arcade. He never knew the difference, he would keep track in his head and stop once he was near the $25 mark. It worked well for us in that once he hit that limit he stopped asking to stop by the arcade each day :D.

Edited by Drazil65

Depending on the ship, there are also the Cherry on Top sweets shop, Thrill Theatre, or Fun Shops. I am glad that it will be a long time before my kids are old enough to roam the ship with a Sail & Sign card. That arcade would be my son's new habit. :D

We just sailed on the Liberty with our 12 yr. son over New Years and the arcade (especially the Mind craft claw game :rolleyes: was huge attraction for him.

We put $125 limit (at guest services we had it fixed at $125 for the week) on his card BUT told him his limit was $25 a day as we knew that the majority would be spent in arcade. He never knew the difference, he would keep track in his head and stop once he was near the $25 mark. It worked well for us in that once he hit that limit he stopped asking to stop by the arcade each day :D.

That's what I'm going to do. My husband just asked me why I'm stressing over this. lol. They will probably do better than I think. I'm going to copy what you did exactly. Actually cheaper. Thanks!! Yes this is a good time to teach them budgeting cb at sea.. That's what I'm trying to accomplish.

ooo i forgot about those milkshakes.

we make our own with the ice cream and milk-- choc milk with choc ice cream for a real choc kick. LOL

did they ever buy those frozen mocktails?

Never tried them. DS lovvess milkshakes. I haven't told him about the shake spot. He'll be pleasantly surprised!

We gave our son some spending privileges on our last 2 cruises. We told him he got XX amount for the cruise and when it was gone it was gone. Though in honesty we may of added more. He never went over. He honestly said he had to go "spend" the money he on the last night.

I would just put the lump of what $20 a day equals on once and will they know the difference? Or better yet is there a difference? They can check their accounts via the Kiosk and TV on most ships.

Maybe different ships work differently (Wouldn't be the first time!) On the Dream last February we set a $25 limit on our grandson's card per day. We did not have to go each day and set the limit over. When the $25 was gone, his card was denied. We know because my DH was at the arcade with him when this happened and had to use his own card so they could continue to play.