Mt wellington, richmond and salamanca markets

Discon

Hi,we will be on cruise stopping in hobart next month. We want to visit mt wellington, the salamanca markets (theyre open the day we are there) and the little hobart town minature village. I cant find a half day tour that takes in mt wellington and richmond. We have considered hiring a car, to pickup after we visit the markets, but as novices in the hobart region are not sure if it is realistic to get to these three places? Does anyone have any advice?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Forums mobile app

Hi,we will be on cruise stopping in hobart next month. We want to visit mt wellington, the salamanca markets (theyre open the day we are there) and the little hobart town minature village. I cant find a half day tour that takes in mt wellington and richmond. We have considered hiring a car, to pickup after we visit the markets, but as novices in the hobart region are not sure if it is realistic to get to these three places? Does anyone have any advice?

You could in a day if you have a car, but tours would not cover them all.

Richmond is a 30-min drive (24 km) east of Hobart. You will need probably an hour in the miniature village. The drive up Mt Wellington would take probably half an hour. You would probably need half an hour at the top to enjoy the view. Salamanca markets is only open on Saturday mornings. Maybe go to Salamanca first, then pick up your car and go up the mountain, then head to Richmond. Or go to Richmond then go up Mt Wellington. There is not much traffic in Hobart, particularly not if you are there on a weekend. Enjoy.:)

Edited by Aus Traveller

I think Aus Traveller's plan is wise. We visited Salamanca markets this January and they were wonderful. The later in the morning it got, the more packed it was and harder it was to walk around and see things.

We enjoyed a scallop pie from one of the food vans and it was delicious.:)

Julie

Personally I think it's a bit much in one day.

But with a car doable.

Hobart to Richmond, let's call it 35 minutes on roads you aren't familiar with

Richmond back to Mt Wellington I'd allow at least an hour, maybe a bit more, it's a steep winding climb

35 minutes back to Salamanca

So there goes over two hours, Salamanca Markets can chew up a day alone if you're into markets, like Mrs Gut is, Richmond depending on what you want to see there is a good 2-3 hours ;0(we've spent the day a few times over) plus some lovely spots to stop and look on the way especially if you go via Ross, and Mt Wellington I'd budget an hour at least

I think Aus Traveller's plan is wise. We visited Salamanca markets this January and they were wonderful. The later in the morning it got, the more packed it was and harder it was to walk around and see things.

We enjoyed a scallop pie from one of the food vans and it was delicious.:)

Julie

If you go to Richmond a great little pie shop there, wood fired still last time we were there.

You would be stretched, not enough time. Just had 10 days in Tasmania, inc 4 in Hobart, 3 in Cygnet and 3 in Richmond. A lot to see. There will be enough seeing Hobart Waterfront, Mt Wellington, museums, Salamanca markets etc in a port day. The Little Hobart town model village is in Richmond, saw it.

You need to go on a couple of weeks trip to Tassie to have a decent look.

You would be stretched, not enough time. Just had 10 days in Tasmania, inc 4 in Hobart, 3 in Cygnet and 3 in Richmond. A lot to see. There will be enough seeing Hobart Waterfront, Mt Wellington, museums, Salamanca markets etc in a port day. The Little Hobart town model village is in Richmond, saw it.

You need to go on a couple of weeks trip to Tassie to have a decent look.

Yep everyone needs a couple of weeks in Tas.

Thanks for all of your replies. We were thinking of doing the markets first then heading to richmond time permitting then up the mountain. Being country dwellers driving isnt an issue for us! Is there a car rental place close to the markets? Thanks again for all of the replies!

Thanks for all of your replies. We were thinking of doing the markets first then heading to richmond time permitting then up the mountain. Being country dwellers driving isnt an issue for us! Is there a car rental place close to the markets? Thanks again for all of the replies!

I think that is a good plan, you should have plenty of time to do it as long as you do not linger to much at any of the points of interest. Thrifty and Avis are a couple of blocks from the markets/ dock near Argyle & Macquarie street for Thrifty and Market place and Macquarie for Avis.:D

I would suggest you book your car.

We were in Hobart January 2015 and booked a car many months in advanced. On the morning we received a call to say that many cars had not been returned as scheduled and we couldn't have one. Everyone else was booked out as well.

So we changed our plans and didn't get to Mt Wellington. Oh well...need to cruise again!:D

An alternative is the http://www.hobartshuttlebus.com/.

We haven't used them, but if the car hire doesn't work out they may have something suitable.

Cheers and have a great trip

Judy

I agree with the comment that Tasmania warrants more time. We have been there four times, each one for four weeks. Have in mind that the OP has one day. I believe it is possible for them to go to the three places they want to.

There are other interesting places in Hobart (the museums, Cascade Brewery, the areas around Battery Point) but I would not rate them as 'must sees'. The OP has particular interests.

We were in Hobart January 2015 and booked a car many months in advanced. On the morning we received a call to say that many cars had not been returned as scheduled and we couldn't have one. Everyone else was booked out as well.

So we changed our plans and didn't get to Mt Wellington. Oh well...need to cruise again!:D

An alternative is the http://www.hobartshuttlebus.com/.

We haven't used them, but if the car hire doesn't work out they may have something suitable.

Cheers and have a great trip

Judy

Yep, often aproblem when a ship visits a smallish Port.

I agree with the comment that Tasmania warrants more time. We have been there four times, each one for four weeks. Have in mind that the OP has one day. I believe it is possible for them to go to the three places they want to.

There are other interesting places in Hobart (the museums, Cascade Brewery, the areas around Battery Point) but I would not rate them as 'must sees'. The OP has particular interests.

The particular interests of the OP are the must sees that they have chosen and are definitely possible to do in the one day.:D

Mrs Gut says that I'm crazy and the pie shop was at Ross, not Richmond, but then she'd have said I was crazy anyway.

Please tell Mrs Gut thank you for sorting you out. :D

We plan to spend longer in Tasmania sometime in the next few years but we are trying to get to some places while we can still cope with long flights.

Have you been to Kangaroo Island yet? Not the same as Tasmania but still an amazing place.

Julie

We plan to spend longer in Tasmania sometime in the next few years but we are trying to get to some places while we can still cope with long flights.

Have you been to Kangaroo Island yet? Not the same as Tasmania but still an amazing place.

Julie

KI is fantastic and well worth seeing but you only need a few days for it where as Tassie needs lots more time.

After we left Hobart we got a car from Thrifty in Argyle St @$30 per day, new Corolla. Off peak season, better deals.

Just beware all the car rental places in Hobart have limited office hours on weekends.

Edited by NSWP

Julie

Cruising to KI next December. Spent a lot of time visiting Adelaide when our son was there but didn't get far out of town, they tended to be short visits.

Tasmania, we love and Mrs G loves all the history guff both in town around Richmond and Ross and out at Port Arthur

After we left Hobart we got a car from Thrifty in Argyle St @$30 per day, new Corolla. Off peak season, better deals.

Just beware all the car rental places in Hobart have limited office hours on weekends.

Make sure you have made arrangements if the offices are closed when picking up or dropping off.