Do you pay at the time you book a ship's excursion?

2-laner

Thinking about signing up for an excursion through the ship and wondered if you pay at the time of booking? We are not going until January. And if so, if we decide to cancel do they simply credit it to the card? Is it possible to pay for it in cash when we arrive on the ship?

Edited by 2-laner

Thinking about signing up for an excursion through the ship and wondered if you pay at the time of booking? We are not going until January. And if so, if we decide to cancel do they simply credit it to the card? Is it possible to pay for it in cash when we arrive on the ship?

Yes, yes, and yes. You pay at time of booking, they will refund if you cancel at least (I think) 3 days ahead, and you can put it on your Sign and Sail while on board. You can also put down cash on your S&S on board.

But I will assume that I can't book it on-line now (and basically charge it) and then pay for it in cash when I get to the ship and set up my S & S card? I know a lot of people wait to book their excursions until they board the ship. I just am not sure if I want to risk it being booked up. Have no idea how popular it is.

I wouldn't pre-book anymore. Did a Bahama excursion that was prepaid and the day it went, it was pouring rain and miserable. The excursion went anyway and I was stuck with going or losing the money.

Ever since, I never pre-book.

Also, keep in mind that there are a few excursions that are very popular and have a limited capacity, and they sell out very quickly. If you happen to choose an excursion that falls in that category, and you don't book ahead of time, go to the excursion desk on board as soon as it opens, or you may be out of luck. We learned that the hard way once on a Western Caribbean itinerary. There was an excursion in Cozumel that we debated on, and when we finally made up our minds, it was too late.:( So I said "Well darn! We'll have to book this cruise again." :rolleyes:

I wouldn't pre-book anymore. Did a Bahama excursion that was prepaid and the day it went, it was pouring rain and miserable. The excursion went anyway and I was stuck with going or losing the money.

Ever since, I never pre-book.

So if I pre-pay (pre-book) an excursion, I will only get my money back IF the excursion is canceled by them? Do they credit my card or put it towards my S & S card?

Also, keep in mind that there are a few excursions that are very popular and have a limited capacity, and they sell out very quickly. If you happen to choose an excursion that falls in that category, and you don't book ahead of time, go to the excursion desk on board as soon as it opens, or you may be out of luck. We learned that the hard way once on a Western Caribbean itinerary. There was an excursion in Cozumel that we debated on, and when we finally made up our minds, it was too late.:( So I said "Well darn! We'll have to book this cruise again." :rolleyes:

That is the part that has me concerned and thinking about pre-booking now. I have no idea whether zip lining out of Mo-Bay is popular or not. And not really wanting to find out the hard way. "Sorry ma'am, we are all booked up. Have a nice day." :eek:

Why don't you just use the cash to pay your credit card? That way you have the excursion booked and still paid for before getting to the ship.

This is the direction I am thinking about going. Take the money I am putting aside for the cruise and just pay this excursion off now. If my daughter didn't want to do this one so bad, I might consider just booking it when we get on the ship. Decisions, decisions. :p

So if I pre-pay (pre-book) an excursion, I will only get my money back IF the excursion is canceled by them? Do they credit my card or put it towards my S & S card?

You can cancel any excursion that you booked up to 24 hours prior, without penalty.

You can cancel any excursion that you booked up to 24 hours prior, without penalty.

That is good to know. Thanks! Do you know whether they just apply the refund amount to the amount you have inevitably built up (or will build up) on your S & S account during the cruise? Or will they simply credit it to the card it was charged on?

If you book and pay now with a credit card it will go back to that credit card if you cancel. If you charge it to your sail and sign card on board it will be deducted from your sail and sign if cancelled. Not everyone, including me, uses the same credit card for my sail and sign and charges that I make before boarding.

If you book and pay now with a credit card it will go back to that credit card if you cancel. If you charge it to your sail and sign card on board it will be deducted from your sail and sign if cancelled. Not everyone, including me, uses the same credit card for my sail and sign and charges that I make before boarding.

I'm actually considering cash this time around. Considering it but nothing final yet. Thank you again for helping make sense of it all. :)

If you decide to use cash make sure you put enough cash on the account to cover all of your charges. If you go over the amount that you initially put on the card you will have to go back and add more. The other thing you can do is use a credit card and then go to customer service and pay it off in cash on the last night of the cruise. Enjoy your cruise!!!

I see your question was answered. In my case the excursion went even though it was terrible weather. Had I known the day before that it was going to be so miserable, I would have cancelled! Now I wait until the day before if do any excursions at all, especially the ones that are 100% outdoors...