QE2 Fantasy Refit

bobby1119

I was wondering if anyone would like to have some fun by sharing ideas about a "fantasy refit" to keep the old gal fresh and fit and more competitive for a long, long, long future...

Now all QE2 afficionados know that she is already perfect :rolleyes: and we wouldn't change a thing, even if we could! But if you could make any changes (mechanical, structural, decorative, etc.) what would they be?

I'll start with one of mine: Move the gym out of the bowels of the ship and into a new location with more light, more of a view, more air: combine the space occupied by the shop that overlooks the outdoors sports center on Boat Deck and the outdoors sports center itself.

Looking forward to what this question will raise.;)

Boby1119

Wasnt there a rumour at one stage of a balcony level being placed in over the midships lobby?

Of course in reality what should happen is she is still the best looking ship and Carnival should invest some $300,000,000 and rip out the inside of the ship, rebuild her to a new standard for the cabins and public rooms.

They should realise the pulling power of QE2 and renovate her !!!

(that by the way comes from somebody who is well placed to know what he is talking about) and it wasnt Bea !!!!

cheers

Myles

(who loves her the way she is)

Restore the 1969 Decoration in First Class

Can I second that, well said. As an example, look at pictures of the Queens Room 1969-87. Tell me that wouldn't be the very height of good modern taste today.

Am going to think of my wish list now....

I think the Grand Lounge needs to be redone or restored. It looks really tired, especially with that cheesey stage curtain. From the photos, it originally was a really nice looking room. Also,I know that they don't have any other place to put the shops, but it really feels like being at the mall or the airport and that ends up spoiling the upper portion of the "Grand" Lounge.

Ok, some fantasy thoughts :)

• Change Grand Lounge back into the Double Room (get rid of shop gallery)
  • Bring the look out observation lounge again
  • Refurbish theatre so it can stage shows in the evening
  • Bring sun decks back to originally tiered ones as before
  • Hasn't got anything to do with refurbishment but bring QE2 back on transatlantic run ;-)

Reint

Turn the Lido back into a lido.

The rear portion of Quarter Deck should be for (outdoor) swimming, sunbathing and generally lazing - not motorway-service-station-style queuing!

Oh well, people seem to like the Lido in its present, frenetic form so suppose I'm going to be on my own on that one :(

Tim.

I'm happy with her as she is.

What needs to be dealt with are things like airconditioning fixed, heating sorted out, water full time (always a bit dodgy on the Signal Deck), chips in the bath sorted out and so on and and so forth.

But in some ways that adds to her charm!

I agree with kindlychap re aircon & heating on QE2 which can be temperamental to say the least!!!

I also agree with TJL re the Lido which should still have it's pool + magadrome roof like in the 80's - I was watching some home movie footage recenlty of the ship taken by my grandparents and this looked such a nice spot on board with it's bar & dance floor. For the modern day cruiser there are just not enough swimming pools on QE2! Saying this I enjoy a twice daily swim in the one deck pool & then relaxing a bit in the jacuzzi with a drink!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

TLJ,

I forgot to add re the Lido whilst the food is quite good it's really nothing more than a glorified cafeteria* & takes up so much space that could be so much better utilized!

Kind regards,

RJMS74

* The Belevedere Court on P & O's Arcadia is so much more stylish and nicer & serves very good food.

I agree with kindlychap re aircon & heating on QE2 which can be temperamental to say the least!!!

I also agree with TJL re the Lido which should still have it's pool + magadrome roof

I'd go with the heating and a/c. I'd agree with the Lido and its pool, But the Magrodome? I don't think the thing ever worked properly. Even in the hottest climates I never saw it open.

Fantasy? Return the entire ship to her 1969 condition!

But realistically... There is so much that could be done.

First, the Grand Lounge needs to be totally rebuilt with the balcony enclosed, creating a dome. This was part of Project Lifestyle (the 1994 refit) but was axed. There was also supposed to be an upper level added to the Midships Lobby but that didn't happen either, thankfully (I like it as it is).

Redecorate the Caronia Restaurant in a more modern style.

Remove all fake wood throughout the entire ship, and replace it with real veneer! (Yes, it is legal to do this!)

Renovate all public toilets throughout the ship.

Complete the cabin bathroom renovations, that have been going on since 1994 and are still not completed in some P grade cabins!

Install new bedding (like HAL's "Mariner's Dream" beds) in all cabins.

Install new flat-panel TVs in all cabins.

Convert the Wardroom into an observation lounge for passengers. (Rebuilding the Lookout would not be practical.)

Extend the D Lifts to Four and Five Decks.

Fantasy? Return the entire ship to her 1969 condition!

Well, I wouldn't go that far! I mean what were they thinking or smoking in hip London during the 60s. Stanley Kubrick could have filmed 2001 in the ship in that lobby. I guess I am glad that in the 70s they didn't install a mirror ball and orange shag carpeting in the lobby. Anway.............Glad no one has asked to re-establish the three class system like in the good old days.

I must admit I want to try her out exactly as she is and don't want the modern cruise ship experience on her.

Still.....................the pool and spa should really be removed from the bowels of the ship if I have to change anything. I think the bottom of the ship is just something most people don't want to see unless its the Poseidon.

Well, I wouldn't go that far! I mean what were they thinking or smoking in hip London during the 60s.

I think the question is more: What were Tralfagar House/Kvaerner/Carnival thinking or smoking in London, New York and Miami in 1972, 1977, 1982, 1983, 1986, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1997 and 1999 when they progressively ruined her interiors ;) ?

(OK, I just counted, this means QE2 has had 10 major refits in her 37 years or a major refit every 3.7 years. on average 1999-2006 is so far the longest period in her entire life she has gone without a major refit!)

This past June at the Ocean Liner Bazaar in New York, two vendors had copies of the "Architectural Review" QE2 special edition - titled, in Mod fashion, just "AR QE2" - from 1969. At $150 apiece they were a bit too dear for me but I suspect I would have bought one anyhow had I had the $150 on me a the time! I could spend days just staring at the photos of those fantastic interiors, not to mention her unique and stunning exterior profile. QE2 was masterfully and painstaikingly designed down to the tiniest detail, and then for the next 30 years three successive owners proceeded to ruin it all (well, most of it)! Tragic.

Just Remember: As the 1968 pre-inaugural brochure cover so boldly stated (in big black block letters on a plain withe background): SHIPS HAVE BEEN BORING LONG ENOUGH!

Hey you guys I've been quiet too long ...... if we're talking about fantasy refits, what about an ALANG SPECIAL !!!!

You know I don't really mean it!!!!

Oh you old misanthrope! Welcome back! Mind you, when her time comes, I too believe the QE2 should join the great majority....but just not yet!

Peter

Another level in midships lobby? I don't understand... how would that have worked?... and what would it have been used for? Maybe my memory is getting fuzzy but l recall that being a one-deck high room (I was last onboard April 2004).

Thanks!

Michael

Another level in midships lobby? I don't understand... how would that have worked?... and what would it have been used for? Maybe my memory is getting fuzzy but l recall that being a one-deck high room (I was last onboard April 2004).

Thanks!

Michael

Your memory is correct - and apart from removing the shop one deck above it would serve no useful purpose - the D staircase is aft of the lobby - so the usual purpose of an atrium - to help people navigate around a ship - would be lost - the Queen Vic has a 3 deck high atrium - pretty modest compared to some of her competitors.

Peter

Hey you guys I've been quiet too long ...... if we're talking about fantasy refits, what about an ALANG SPECIAL !!!!

You know I don't really mean it!!!!

Oh come on Ken, I know you once said you would sail in her if she was in her original condition, so my real fantasy refit should do it for you ;) !

Another level in midships lobby? I don't understand... how would that have worked?... and what would it have been used for?

Yes, it is a one-deck space. The plan was to open it up to One Deck above. I guess you would have most likely had the Purser's Office relocated there, and maybe shops above or something.

At any rate, they didn't do it - thankfully, I might add, as I like the Midships Lobby as it is. Of course in its original 1969-1992 condition it was really über-stylish. Then the 1992-1994 incarnation was just bland, and why have a piano in there??? In its present form it doesn't have the style of the original but I still like it. However, I think it could be really much nicer if there was new carpeting.

Glad no one has asked to re-establish the three class system like in the good old days.

They don't need to. She's already got five classes.

[qiote]Still.....................the pool and spa should really be removed from the bowels of the ship if I have to change anything. I think the bottom of the ship is just something most people don't want to see unless its the Poseidon.

They could keep the third class pool down there - when they reinstate the Lido there'll be two pools on deck:) The Spa doesn't bother me - most of the time you're in there you're not looking for a view! I think that the gym could be moved further down still - somewhere sub seabed!

Archived