How often do ships have to skip a port in Hawaii?

honeymooner16

During our four Hawaiian cruises storms haven't been the problem but strong, gusty wind conditions which could happen at anytime. Passing fronts that don't get to Hawaii can create strong winds & high surf conditions.

The only port we missed was Nawiliwili Kauai which has a relatively narrow harbor entrance to the pier. Once in Lahaina Maui tendering was delayed due to the winds & in Kona Hawaii tendering was marginal.

We've only missed 1 port out of 17 ports of call in Hawaii which is only 6% of the time. Although it's possible to miss a port even though it's not probable. We usually rent a car or use public transportation but if we booked an independent tour it's doubtful if we'd book with any company that wouldn't refund my money if the ship was unable to get me into the port.

Here's the Maui average weather conditions in May from Maui based meteorologist Glenn James whose website is the best source I've found for all Hawaii weather conditions.

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/trip-planning-weather/#may

May – Summer starts early on Maui, and May is getting quite warm. The tradewinds are blowing most of the time on the windward sides, but carry less clouds and showers then in April. Winter storms are completely absent….leeward sides are summer-like. Tradewinds blow on the average 86% of the time. Sea water temperature averages about 76 degrees F. (25.6C)

May averages for different locations on Maui Lahaina 85-67 F. (28.9C-18.3C) 1.05" of precipitation Hana 80-68 F. (26.7C-19.4C) 8.95" of precipitation Kahului 84-67 F. (27.8C-18.9C) .62" of precipitation

Kahului % of possible daytime sunshine: 58%

We missed Maui a couple years ago because the waves and wind was a bit unsafe to tender in.

The captain and the port authority also have to take into consideration what the weather would be at the time before departure due to weather changes during the day. Our cruises to Hawaii have always been in February and November.

Just a note ...storms do not have to be in Hawaii or even near to cause a port to be missed.

A few years ago we stopped by the Kona port ...only to sail on to the coast of Molokai.

This was due to a storm over 1200 miles away... causing swells so large that we could not tender in to Kona.

Also was in the Maui port once and the swells in the harbor became so large we snapped several lines while tied up. They then pulled all lines and left a day early. They put all people on ship tours in a hotel and gave them a luau and flew them the next day to the next pot of call. However they did not provide anything to others on their own tours.

These are rare times but they can and do happen. The worst one I ever saw was a couple were to be Married in Kona...we missed it due to a storm once again far away...the couples parents and friends had all flown to Kona to do and be in the wedding. A lot of money was wasted that day.

Chuck

Also was in the Maui port once and the swells in the harbor became so large we snapped several lines while tied up. They then pulled all lines and left a day early. They put all people on ship tours in a hotel and gave them a luau and flew them the next day to the next pot of call. However they did not provide anything to others on their own tours.

Chuck

Are you saying the ship had to suddenly leave port due to unsafe docking conditions and they simply left all passengers who were ashore at the time on their own, high and dry with no assistance while providing hotel rooms, a luau, and transportation to the next port for ONLY those who were booked on a ships tour? The number on a ships tour I would guess would be a small percentage as most people seem to either do it on their own by rental car, or book independent tours.

Maybe this happened, but the publicity must have been terrible. I would think long and hard about any cruiseline who would do this. I can't imagine any cruise line penalizing people when the ship has to undergo an emergency and unscheduled departure with no way to notify guests. Leaving without people who miss the ships regular departure time is another story, but any cruiseline in the circumstance you mentioned should willingly assist ALL passengers who got left behind, not just the few on a ships tour.

Punkicc ...No maybe to it ... yes this did happen ... it was on Maui, the ship was SS Independence. I was on board having lunch and heard several of the lines pop and slam up on the side of the ship. They tried using tugs to hold the ship in place against the pier, but was not working well, as the ship was rising and lowering so much the gangway be came a unsafe carnival ride!

So... yes they did leave and yes there were some UPSET folks. They settled with them later I was told. But not at 100%. Yes there was some assistance left behind at the pier, but not everyone was happy...only those who where on ship tours were paid for at that time for rooms, food and air transport.

Chuck

Edited by Molokai-Chuck

If you have a tender port like we recently had in Kona we did not tender due to inclement weather approaching during our intended stay in Kona. As a safety precaution because of the tender boats in the rougher waters they did not stop in Kona and we did scenic cruising instead for the day on our way to Kauai.

Are you saying the ship had to suddenly leave port due to unsafe docking conditions and they simply left all passengers who were ashore at the time on their own, high and dry with no assistance while providing hotel rooms, a luau, and transportation to the next port for ONLY those who were booked on a ships tour? The number on a ships tour I would guess would be a small percentage as most people seem to either do it on their own by rental car, or book independent tours.

Maybe this happened, but the publicity must have been terrible. I would think long and hard about any cruiseline who would do this. I can't imagine any cruise line penalizing people when the ship has to undergo an emergency and unscheduled departure with no way to notify guests. Leaving without people who miss the ships regular departure time is another story, but any cruiseline in the circumstance you mentioned should willingly assist ALL passengers who got left behind, not just the few on a ships tour.

The following is from NCL's Frequently Asked Questions website. Much the same as the ship waiting for a late NCL tour but not for people on their own, it seems.

"In the event of strikes, lockouts, stoppages of labor, riots, weather conditions, mechanical difficulties or any other reason whatsoever, Norwegian Cruise Line has the right to cancel, advance, postpone or substitute any scheduled sailing or itinerary without prior notice. Norwegian Cruise Line shall not be responsible for failure to adhere to published arrival and departure times for any of its ports of call. Norwegian Cruise Line may, but is not obliged to, substitute another vessel for any sailing and cannot be liable for any loss to passengers by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement or substitution."

Out of three Hawaiian cruises (on Princess, of course:D), we only missed one port and that was due to high waves that would make tendering dicey.

If you are booking an independent cruise, find out the cancellation policy ahead of time so you don't get charged for an excursion you miss for a missed port. Ask if they will watch to see if your ship gets to port (I would imagine many good operators stay on top of this) and bring the contact phone number and email just in case.

Punkicc ...No maybe to it ... yes this did happen ... it was on Maui, the ship was SS Independence. I was on board having lunch and heard several of the lines pop and slam up on the side of the ship. They tried using tugs to hold the ship in place against the pier, but was not working well, as the ship was rising and lowering so much the gangway be came a unsafe carnival ride!

So... yes they did leave and yes there were some UPSET folks. They settled with them later I was told. But not at 100%. Yes there was some assistance left behind at the pier, but not everyone was happy...only those who where on ship tours were paid for at that time for rooms, food and air transport.

Chuck

I don't doubt that the ship did leave, and that there were some unhappy people. But I am glad to hear that they were all reimbursed eventually as I got the impression they never were. I could hardly believe that in this type of circumstance they would not be. The tour passengers were in the cruiselines "possession" so to speak, they are hardly going to let them out on the corner. The logistics of trying to help several hundred people obtain hotel rooms and flights in a one day time period would be challenging for the probably limited number of staff left on the dock.

We had a similar situation when the cruiseline delayed the cruise due to ship issues with only a days notice. Many passengers had already arrived in the home port or were in transit. No one had hotel rooms for the unexpected extra night. Were they obligated to do anything? Probably not, but it would not be good PR to site the contract. Now, we did not wait for the cruiseline to obtain a room for us, if so we would have slept in the park. We got our own room, and then were instructed on the ship on how to file for reimbursement after the cruise.