QE2's average speed during 5 day crossings?

ren0312

Does anybody remember what QE2's average speed was during the time when it was still doing 5-day TA crossings? It seems like it would have to do pretty much the entire crossing at 30 knots to be able to make in 5 days? This pretty much means that it would have to be on full power throughout the entire trip?

The average speed would be the distance travelled divided by the time taken (which I'm sure you know).

Google says it's 3419 from Southampton to New York. I don't know what time it left and arrived, so lets just say 5 days, i.e. 120 hours. That 28.4 mph which is (again, by the power of Google) is 24.7 knots.

Edited by ToadOfToadHall

The average speed would be the distance travelled divided by the time taken (which I'm sure you know).

Google says it's 3459 from Southampton to New York. I don't know what time it left and arrived, so lets just say 5 days, i.e. 120 hours. That 28.8 mph which is (again, by the power of Google) is 25 knots.

A remember a past captain saying that during the 5-day crossings they pretty much have to run on full power all the way, which runs down to 30+ knots.

Does anybody remember what QE2's average speed was during the time when it was still doing 5-day TA crossings? It seems like it would have to do pretty much the entire crossing at 30 knots to be able to make in 5 days? This pretty much means that it would have to be on full power throughout the entire trip?

On the 5 day eastbound crossings, it was close to 30. On the 6 day crossings it was 25+. My recollection.

I did the crossing a couple of times...leaving from the west side of Manhattan the ship would sail around 4:30/5 pm I believe and arrive in South Hampton early in the morning say 7 am we would be dockside - of course all depending on the weather during the crossing. For some reason I recall the ship left later from S'Hampton but still arriving in Manhattan around 7 am.

As far as speed - I do not recall but as an image if you have ever seen pictures of classic yachts from the late 19th & early 20th century w/ their sails full out racing along w/ a severe list - well I remember on one crossing the QE2 listing to the point one had to hold onto rails etc & we were warned by the captain of the severe winds & list(no hi heels for the ladies etc). Well once the ship listed it stayed that way for quite some time and life just carried on onboard....cocktails & all. Looking out the Promenade windows it was amazing to see, witness, experience & realize what that great ship was capable of. The ship cut through those waves & storm like a knife through butter....absolutely breathtakingly beautiful!

The FRANCE that sailed at the same time was more of a roller...a beautiful ship in every way but QE2 gave a smoother ride in all sort of weather...we actually would hope for a bit of rough weather to see what the QE2 could & how handle it - sort of like taking a Ferrari out & seeing how fast it could go.....fabulous...but in Black Tie!!!!

Hello,

I hope you don't mind but I relayed your question over to the TheQE2Story and in terms of normal operation Rod Fair, a former Engineer aboard, said

I believe, that the "planned" average speed was 28.5 knots. If bad weather was expected then they would goose it up a bit before the bad weather.

Don't forget that under steam it sometimes took 24 hours to get up to the 28.5. Course taken was not always the same either.

If an early arrival was required because of other ships arriving, speed was increased as well.

And Lynda reminded me that Michael Gallagher (Cunard Historian and QE2 expert) had told us about her best ever average speeds across :-

Westbound (Southampton to New York)

June 1970

3 days 20 hours and 42 minutes

Average speed: 30.36 knots

Steamship

Eastbound (New York to Southampton)

17 – 22 July 1990

4 days 6 hours and 57 minutes

Average speed: 30.16 knots

Motorship

28.5 knots was her service speed, as it had been for her predecessors which were keeping to the same crossing time.

Amazing how, as with Concorde, the times across the Atlantic have increased in recent decades. Progress?

Right you are Rob. This is the first time in history we are consciously going slower, not faster. And Concorde was the first airplane to be taken from service without something better supplanting it. I agree: "progress??". 28.5 knots service speed. If all goes well. We can remember many times past 30 kts to make up time. If I remember right, QE2 could push mid 30 knots full out. Ships have a different motion when powering through seas as opposed to just plodding along. No 8 day crossings for me.:eek::D

More "progress". In 1959, Boeing's 707 would top 600 mph and passengers flew in comfort and style. Today, Boeing's new 787 has a posted max speed of 593 mph with as many bodies as they can cram in. Other than more fuel efficient engines, I really see little progress out there in the travel industry. What is bothering is that many lines of the cruise industry seem h*ll bent to follow the airlines dastardly business model.

More "progress". In 1959, Boeing's 707 would top 600 mph and passengers flew in comfort and style. Today, Boeing's new 787 has a posted max speed of 593 mph with as many bodies as they can cram in.

Yes, but NY to London is around £400 return today.

In 1958 it was £340 return (about £7000 in today's money). And the average UK salary then was about £650 a year. So about half an average worker's annual salary.

So I see massive "progress" in the travel industry. You can fly NY-London return for less than a week's wages. In 1958 it was 6 months wages.

It's amazing what you can find with a bit of Googling !

Edited by ToadOfToadHall

Yes, but NY to London is around £400 return today.

In 1958 it was £340 return (about £7000 in today's money). And the average UK salary then was about £650 a year. So about half an average worker's annual salary.

So I see massive "progress" in the travel industry. You can fly NY-London return for less than a week's wages. In 1958 it was 6 months wages.

It's amazing what you can find with a bit of Googling !

Right you are. We could not afford a jet flight in 1958 either. But we could (and did) afford 5 day or less crossings on Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth. Again, no 8 day plods for me.:eek::D

Hi,

In the summer of 1984, I did a five-day crossing on the QE2 (with my parents) from Southampton to New York. The crossing included a stop in Cherbourg to pick up additional passengers. I remember that the ship was late leaving Southampton. Also, we encountered some very rough weather. I don't recall the average speed of the ship, but we arrived in New York at the scheduled time despite the delays. We must have been traveling at or near the ship's top speed for at least part of the crossing.

Chuck

Digressing slightly, but still talking about the wonderful QE2 - we went on a cruise voyage in her last season in 2008. Due to the French port strikes we were unable to go to La Rochelle and Bordeaux as planned. so the itinerary was changed meaning that we had a need to get from one port to Bilbao fairly quickly ( forgive me I can't remember the fine detail without looking it up). The Captain announced that he would give us a demonstration of her speed capabilities and we had a few hours of bombing along at around 28 - 29 knots. It was a memorable experience as none of the ships go that fast these days, mores the pity. Those were the days.....

Edited by Mysticalmother