LOS arrives Barcelona 6am - enough time to make 10am flight to JFK ?

trump

Hi, We will be on LOS in July 2014. I am booking the flights now. We will stay 2 days prior to the cruise in Barcelona. Post cruise I would prefer to fly directly home and not stay extra time in Barcelona. The cruise ends in Barcelona on a Sunday and shows an arrival time of 6am. The cheapest direct flights from Barcelona to JFK are at 10am. The RCI web-site shows the earliest time a flight should be booked is 10am. Any opinions ? I'm not sure how early we can disembark when the ship arrives at 6am. Is it too risky to book a 10am flight ?

Hi, We will be on LOS in July 2014. I am booking the flights now. We will stay 2 days prior to the cruise in Barcelona. Post cruise I would prefer to fly directly home and not stay extra time in Barcelona. The cruise ends in Barcelona on a Sunday and shows an arrival time of 6am. The cheapest direct flights from Barcelona to JFK are at 10am. The RCI web-site shows the earliest time a flight should be booked is 10am. Any opinions ? I'm not sure how early we can disembark when the ship arrives at 6am. Is it too risky to book a 10am flight ?

It is always risky to book a 10 a.m. flight. Even though they list the arrival time as 6 a.m. a variety of reasons could delay the ship docking or the passengers getting off the ship once it has docked.

We never book a flight before noon. Since I have been on a ship that was suppose to dock at 6 a.m. and didn't dock until 11 a.m. :eek: (Fog prevented ship from going into port.), I don't want to have to go through the hassle of rebooking flights ever again if I can help it.

So, IMHO, I would spend a little more money and book a later flight.

Happy cruising,

Mary

Edited by Travelingclerk

IME, having done this twice from BCN, 10am is plenty of time. There is always some risk, but provided you realize that, and barring anything unforeseen, you'd have plenty of time to debark, get to the airport, and then clear customs / immigration. If it was me, I wouldn't hesitate, especially when internatl flight options are limited.

We were on the serenade in August/September. We disembarked at about 0830 and I believe we were at the airport by 0930 for an 1140 flight. No problem at all. RCCL always gives the option of walking off the ship with your luggage at your own pace if you want to leave as soon as you are in port. But as everyone else has said, that's if everything goes smooth. For us, it did. We wanted a 1030 flight but were talked out of it from this board, but we would have made it just fine.

Tooooooo Risky, you might make it but, any delay in arrival or Customs Clearance, could create a problem.
The majority of cruises terminating in Barcelona have never been outside of the Schengen zone. Do cruisers on those cruises have to go through immigration and/or customs?

Thom