Livorno to Florence to Pisa Bus & Train Information

TeamAguilar

We did a Mediterranean cruise last year which was an amazing 24 days in Europe. One of our stops was Livorno / Florence / Pisa. Do we go at it alone and run the risk of missing the ship or spend a boatload of money to do a ship excursion or less money arranging a shore side excursion???

I did some research and it ended up being a very manageable day.

We took a bunch of video and I'm finally getting around to posting. This was our day in Florence & Pisa. We went on our own and had a great time. If you do some research you can do it on your own with plenty of time to spare.

Below are some photos of the tickets we purchased, etc which may help you figure out your way. Also there is a link to view our video we took covering our day.

Hope this info helps you! Had a great day exploring Pisa & Florence!

Start by exiting the cruise ship as early as possible. Since you are not on a cruise excursion you won't get off as quickly but we were up early and off the ship within 30 minutes of it being cleared.

When you exit the ship and walk out of the port, look for a booth selling the tickets below. This is a round trip ticket to be used when you return as well. They will drop you off in town.

20140330_003804.jpg

Then, you will hop on the city bus looking like this, take it to Livorno's Piazza Grande - You will see a McDonald's - You can also spend a little more money and take a cab to the train station - we took the bus - we did start off going in the wrong direction and had to hop off and grab the bus in the correct direction - just ask the bus driver or a passenger if the bus is going to the centrale station to catch the train to Firenze (Florence). If we did this again I think I would just spend a little more money and take a cab instead of the city bus. As you will see below we took a cab for our return. This is a good option to take the bus once in the morning to meet the locals. :D

IMG_1656.JPG

Here is the Livorno Piazza, see the McDonald's? Damn things are in every town in this World!!! :eek: Anyways, when you see the McDonald's you know you need to catch the bus to the train station. If you're facing the McDonald's take the bus that is moving from your left to right or heading East. This is the direction to get to the train station.

IMG_1657.JPG

Here is another quick drawing I just worked up, it's a little rough but should help you understand the logistics. The key is getting to the train station, once you're there we felt like everything else was pretty smooth.

LIVORNO.jpg

SEE NEXT POST

Once you arrive at the train station purchase a ticket to Firenze. Round trip is an option. Here is a copy of the ticket we purchased to get to Firenze (Florence)

20140330_005415.jpg

After a wonderful morning in Florence we purchased this ticket below and headed to Pisa. Copy of the ticket

20140330_005440.jpg

In Pisa we purchased this bus ticket and asked the locals which stop was best to get off for Piazza dei Miracoli (Square of Miracles) or Piazza del Duomo (Cathedral Square) which seems to be the old name.

IMG_1609.JPG

After our great adventure in Pisa we headed back to the train station in Pisa to catch the train back to the Livorno train station. Here is a copy of that ticket,

20140330_005454.jpg

At this point we were pretty tired, didn't feel like taking the city bus so we took a taxi back to the port. If done again, may skip the city bus option and just purchase a taxi from the Port to the Livorno Centrale train station.

IMPORTANT - Just make sure you check the times and the platforms as I mention in the video because they use old school TIMETABLES and do not use digital boards like we are use to. Well they do use digital boards but the platforms were never updated. Don't be afraid to walk up to someone who looks like a local and ask. We even walked up to the front of the train and asked the conductor where the train was going only to realize we were on the wrong platform. Just ask people and check the printed timetables.

Here is a summary of our day via our youtube video,

Video of our time in Florence

Video of our time in Pisa

Hope the info helps! Feel free to ask any questions. :D

Alex&Erika,

Do you remember the cost of the cab from the train station to the port?

Thanks

Last summer a standard rate of 25 euros one-way, either direction. But they hold up to 8. You shouldn't have any problem finding sharers on the pier to go to the station, more problematic for the return.

Takes 10-15 mins.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Once you arrive at the train station purchase a ticket to Firenze. Round trip is an option. Here is a copy of the ticket we purchased to get to Firenze (Florence)

20140330_005415.jpg

After a wonderful morning in Florence we purchased this ticket below and headed to Pisa. Copy of the ticket

20140330_005440.jpg

In Pisa we purchased this bus ticket and asked the locals which stop was best to get off for Piazza dei Miracoli (Square of Miracles) or Piazza del Duomo (Cathedral Square) which seems to be the old name.

IMG_1609.JPG

After our great adventure in Pisa we headed back to the train station in Pisa to catch the train back to the Livorno train station. Here is a copy of that ticket,

20140330_005454.jpg

At this point we were pretty tired, didn't feel like taking the city bus so we took a taxi back to the port. If done again, may skip the city bus option and just purchase a taxi from the Port to the Livorno Centrale train station.

IMPORTANT - Just make sure you check the times and the platforms as I mention in the video because they use old school TIMETABLES and do not use digital boards like we are use to. Well they do use digital boards but the platforms were never updated. Don't be afraid to walk up to someone who looks like a local and ask. We even walked up to the front of the train and asked the conductor where the train was going only to realize we were on the wrong platform. Just ask people and check the printed timetables.

Here is a summary of our day via our youtube video,

Video of our time in Florence

Video of our time in Pisa

Hope the info helps! Feel free to ask any questions. :D

This was so helpful. I was not sure that we would have time for Pisa.

Thanks so much

Thank you so so so much for the post!!! We we're hesitate to do it on our own, your post gives us an idea on what to expect!!

Quick question,

1. how did you know which station to get off? Do they have signs at the station?

2. Do u need to take any transportation once u reached Florence? Or did you guys do the tour through walking?

3. once u got off from Pisa station, was it difficult to catch a bus to the tower? Can it be done via walking?

Sorry for all the questions, it will be our 1st cruise to Livorno and just the thinking of all the different transits... gives us a headache and we also worry about getting lost... :(

Many thanks!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

There are signs at each station, but you'll also know by the time. If your train is supposed to be at Firenze Santa Maria Novella at 9:32, start paying attention at 9:30. You could also print out the list of station stops for your train and follow along, for example:

Pisa Centrale

Pontedera-Casciana Terme

Empoli

Lastra a Signa

Firenze Rifredi

Firenze S. M. Novella

Once you are at S.M.Novella in Florence, you are walking distance to pretty much everything.

If you plan to stop at Pisa on your way back from Florence, you won't have much time. I wouldn't waste time waiting for a bus in this situation, spend the 10 - 15 Euro for a cab. It's only a mile from Pisa Centrale to the Piazza dei Miracoli (where you'll find the tower, the Duomo, and the baptistry) so you could walk it unless you're already wiped out from your time in Florence.

Thank you so so so much for the post!!! We we're hesitate to do it on our own, your post gives us an idea on what to expect!!

Quick question,

1. how did you know which station to get off? Do they have signs at the station?

2. Do u need to take any transportation once u reached Florence? Or did you guys do the tour through walking?

3. once u got off from Pisa station, was it difficult to catch a bus to the tower? Can it be done via walking?

Sorry for all the questions, it will be our 1st cruise to Livorno and just the thinking of all the different transits... gives us a headache and we also worry about getting lost... :(

Many thanks!!

Your Florence (Firenze) station is Santa Maria Novella, always abbreviated to S M Novella as Euro-cruiser's post. It's where our train terminated, though judging from E/C's post that's not always the case. It's very close to all the major sights other than the Statue of David, which is quite a long hike - the last part up a steep hill, though excellent city view from there.

Pisa centrale (all trains to Florence stop there) to the Field of Miracles is a level 20 minute walk, quite pleasant, just follow the herd.

Pisa best fitted our schedule on the way back from Florence, there are more-frequent trains from Pisa to Livorno, and its always best on a shore day to visit the furthest place first.

Even though you buy a Livorno/Florence train ticket, you can break your journey at Pisa using that same ticket.

Your Florence (Firenze) station is Santa Maria Novella, always abbreviated to S M Novella as Euro-cruiser's post. It's where our train terminated, though judging from E/C's post that's not always the case. It's very close to all the major sights other than the Statue of David, which is quite a long hike - the last part up a steep hill, though excellent city view from there.

Pisa centrale (all trains to Florence stop there) to the Field of Miracles is a level 20 minute walk, quite pleasant, just follow the herd.

Pisa best fitted our schedule on the way back from Florence, there are more-frequent trains from Pisa to Livorno, and its always best on a shore day to visit the furthest place first.

Even though you buy a Livorno/Florence train ticket, you can break your journey at Pisa using that same ticket.

Did you find Pisa to be really crowded since you did after Florence? I have read where people say to do Pisa first to beat the crowds.

Were you able to go into the tower in Pisa?

How long did you stay in Florence?

I want to do both Florence and Pisa but I don't want to stress the whole time hoping we don't miss the ship. I think that is my biggest fear.

Thank again for all the information.

Did you find Pisa to be really crowded since you did after Florence? I have read where people say to do Pisa first to beat the crowds.

I want to do both Florence and Pisa but I don't want to stress the whole time hoping we don't miss the ship. I think that is my biggest fear.

Hi Shannon,

IIRC, we'd arrived Florence about 10am, had plenty of time to look round before catching the train back to Pisa about 2.30pm (wouldn't be the case if you wanted to go into museums) & got to Pisa about 3.30pm.

And no, it wasn't at all crowded. In fact there were a lot more folk leaving the Field of Miracles than arriving.

We didn't go up the Tower. We hadn't planned to, I seem to recall that's best done by pre-booking but we didn't know in advance whether we'd stay in Florence & miss Pisa altogether.

Spent about an hour at the Field of Miracles, could have had a decent look round in just half-an-hour if necessary.

We're not in-depth tourists, we don't spend as long at places as many others do.

Best to keep things flexible - take along a note of train times back, both the mid-afternoon trains Florence-Livorno and earlyafternoon trains to Pisa & onward trains to Livorno.

I suggest you give yourselves at least 30 mins from Livorno station to ship, and aim to catch the last-but-one train.

Here's the Trenitalia website, your stations are Livorno Centrale, Firenze S M Novella & Pisa Centrale. If the website doesn't give you information for your date, pick a random date (same day of the week) in the up-coming week or two.

http://www.trenitalia.com/

Edited by John Bull

Quick question,

Many thanks!!

Looks like you both received great answers to your questions.

Hope you're squared away and have a great trip. :)

Edited by TeamAguilar
spelling

Hi Shannon,

IIRC, we'd arrived Florence about 10am, had plenty of time to look round before catching the train back to Pisa about 2.30pm (wouldn't be the case if you wanted to go into museums) & got to Pisa about 3.30pm.

And no, it wasn't at all crowded. In fact there were a lot more folk leaving the Field of Miracles than arriving.

We didn't go up the Tower. We hadn't planned to, I seem to recall that's best done by pre-booking but we didn't know in advance whether we'd stay in Florence & miss Pisa altogether.

Spent about an hour at the Field of Miracles, could have had a decent look round in just half-an-hour if necessary.

We're not in-depth tourists, we don't spend as long at places as many others do.

Best to keep things flexible - take along a note of train times back, both the mid-afternoon trains Florence-Livorno and earlyafternoon trains to Pisa & onward trains to Livorno.

I suggest you give yourselves at least 30 mins from Livorno station to ship, and aim to catch the last-but-one train.

Here's the Trenitalia website, your stations are Livorno Centrale, Firenze S M Novella & Pisa Centrale. If the website doesn't give you information for your date, pick a random date (same day of the week) in the up-coming week or two.

http://www.trenitalia.com/

John,

When I read your post, it was like I wrote it word for word. Our June cruise will take us to Florence and after tons of research - this is the exact plan we've made to follow. In fact, I just reviewed the train schedules the other day to verify times. Thanks for the reassurance.

Steve

We are a group of 4 who need to arrive in Florence no later than 9:30 for a moped tour. The tour will be over by 3:30 which is too late to use the ship shuttle. We don't want to worry about getting off the ship in time to catch a train or a bus to Florence. Would you recommend any sort of taxi or shuttle service?

Also, what is the best way to see if there are any others who may want to share a shuttle/ taxi to help cut cost?

Thanks,

Laurie

• 2 weeks later...
This is just what I was looking for. Since the cost of the ship's excursion is over $150, I knew it could be done by ourselves. Thanks for this info.

Have a great trip! I'm SO ready for another cruise!

What a treasure trove this post has been. I am in Livorno in July and will definitely follow this advice- except I want to go to Lucca and Pisa. My husband and I will have already visited Florence a week before as we wanted longer than a few hours. Did you see Lucca on the railway map? It looks really interesting.