Livorno to Florence to Pisa Bus & Train Information

TeamAguilar

Even though you buy a Livorno/Florence train ticket, you can break your journey at Pisa using that same ticket.

JB :)

Thank you so much for this detailed travel itinerary! I have spend numerous hours searching and stressing how to fit in Pisa and Florence in the same day, so thank you!

With the above, do you mean, that when we buy the train ticket from Florence to Livorno, we can just stop off in Pisa and then get back on train after visit and continue to Livorno?

Also, I was going to pre-book/pay for tickets to the tower, will we have time to walk up?

Is there an express train from Livorno to Florence that only takes 45 minutes?

Thank you

Michele

Thank you so much for this detailed travel itinerary! I have spend numerous hours searching and stressing how to fit in Pisa and Florence in the same day, so thank you!

With the above, do you mean, that when we buy the train ticket from Florence to Livorno, we can just stop off in Pisa and then get back on train after visit and continue to Livorno?

Also, I was going to pre-book/pay for tickets to the tower, will we have time to walk up?

Thank you

Michele

Yes, you can break a journey with just the one ticket, provided that you complete the journey within x-number of hours from when it started (x = plenty more than you'll need ;))

We didn't go up the tower, so I can't say. Though with a timed ticket I don't suppose it's cost you more than 30 minutes? But best to wait 'til someone more knowledgeable comes along.

I believe there are express trains, but can't help with details - hopefully others can.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

It takes only 20 - 30 minutes to walk up the tower, look around, and come back down.

There are no express trains between Livorno and Florence, they are all regionals. Some are faster than others, with the fastest taking 1:08 and the longest requiring 1:41.

• 1 year later...

I apologize if this is a really stupid question. If I buy a round trip ticket from Livorno to Florence and stop over at Pisa on the return, how does that work if you have to purchase tickets for a specific time? I won't have a specific ticket for the return piece from Pisa to Livorno.

I've never been to Europe before and am just learning on this board about the public transit options.

If I buy a round trip ticket from Livorno to Florence and stop over at Pisa on the return, how does that work if you have to purchase tickets for a specific time? I won't have a specific ticket for the return piece from Pisa to Livorno.
For this trip, Livorno to Florence (or the return) you will be on a regional train. The rules and conditions for regional train travel are different than for the high speed and express trains.

It is possible to "break" a regional train trip on the same ticket if the ticket is purchased in Italy, not on-line. The rules for on-line tickets are different.

With the locally purchased ticket, for a trip of under 200 km (Livorno - Florence is approximately 100 km) you have up to six hours to complete the trip. The time starts when you validate the ticket before starting the trip. You can make an unlimited number of stops (or breaks) within the time limit.

Regional tickets purchased locally are not for a specific train but are good for any regional train on that route. There are no seat assignments and it is possible for a train to have more passengers than seats. It is critical that you validate, or stamp, your ticket in the machines on the track prior to boarding the train.

The rules for regional train tickets are here: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms-file/allegati/trenitalia_2014/area_clienti/4_Utilizzo_convalida_e_validita_dei_titoli_di_viaggio_tcom2014.pdf

Edited by euro cruiser

Yes, there is only one regional route from Livorno to Florence and they all stop at Pisa Centrale.

You can use on free on-line translator like translate.google.com to get a sense of what the document says. They don't translate precisely but generally close enough to get the information you need.

Yes, there is only one regional route from Livorno to Florence and they all stop at Pisa Centrale.

You can use on free on-line translator like translate.google.com to get a sense of what the document says. They don't translate precisely but generally close enough to get the information you need.

Thanks, Euro!

We were in Italy last June and took train from Florence to Rome with a three and half hour stop in Pisa. We spent a few days in Florence and were SO GLAD we took a tour. The leader was just awesome. It was like a fun History class.

In Pisa, we didn't hire a tour, we just visited the Leaning Tower, which is AWESOME by the way. We stored our luggage at the train station, took a bus directly to the Tower and back. Easy peasy...Stored our luggage for about 10 euros and bus was about 12 euros, round trip. These are estimates, I don't remember exacts but it wasn't expensive at all.