Things people do that make it obvious they are cruise virgins

acesgame

I can't wait for people to spot me as a newbie!

I fully intend to buy the overpriced sailaway cocktail and ooooooooooh and ahhhhhhhhhh at everything.

I feel my newbie stuff has already begun. When we booked I invented my 'I'm going on a cruise' song and dance routine and now I regularly do the dance despite it being 339 days 18 hours and 7 minutes away! (sorry 6 minutes now!)

Oh and I've already planned my formal evening/ dinner outfits! My case would be packed apart from the fact I've got to wear the clothes in the next year... :p

ditto>>>!!!! :D:D:D

• 5 weeks later...
Ladies carrying a purse!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forums mobile app

I still don't get this one and I've seen it on this post before. I always carry a small shoulder or crossbody bag because lots of the time I don't have pockets for keycard, kleenex, lip balm, contact drops, etc. And I've been on 18 cruises so certainly not a newbie.

• 2 weeks later...

Going on my first cruise in 6 years so I thought I would refresh my memory. This thread will keep me on point....LOL

Some things mentioned here brought me some fond memories and downright laughter right out loud.

Remembering that first Life Jacket fiasco on the Triumph where it was so hot some people were passing out....those dang life vests were like Rubic Cubes trying to figure out!

The lanyards have to be worn if you have no pockets. Of course it is always a neat souvenir coming home to the pronounced tan line from it laying on your husbands chest all day at the pool!

Hearing people argue with the store folk because that T-Shirt they bought on the first day of the cruise is now 50% off on the last day and dang it, they want their discount!

Watching peoples faces when they get their final charges before debarking. That OMG....What have I done look or the much better....OMG, What did YOU do look to the husband!

Following EVERY SINGLE TIP ever given on EVERY SINGLE CRUISE BOARD and ending up with bungie cords, extension cords, medicine chests that will include a fix for every known illness to mankind, duct tape of various sizes, magnets, 25 clothes hangers, 10 pairs of shoes, double the underwear and that journal that you vow to record in every single night and enough batteries to change in your devices every single day, a backup hairdryer, flashlights and snacks to eat on excursions! The vast majority of these items will fill half of your suitcase or half of TWO suitcases because your travel companion has packed the SAME things! They will stay in your suitcase. They will not be needed, but will be happy you took them along for the ride. :D

I can't wait until it's time for me to go....

Now WHERE did I put those bungie cords???? :rolleyes:

Happy Sailing!

:D

I plan on making a door decoration warning my fellow passengers that we are cruise novices (thought virgin might be a problem for some travelers) and might be caught ...

Taking too many pictures

Hoarding towel animals

having too much luggage etc.

Please help me add to the list things that scream first cruise! Please keep it clean.

My wife and I have only done fourteen cruises, but (while I can't speak for her, or anybody else) I STILL feel that 'feeling' as I see that BIG white beautiful decked MOUNTAIN, hear that first 'ding' of my sign and sail card on the security kiosk as I step aboard, and hear that wonderful blast of the underway horn as I feel the ship moving away and watching the bright blue ocean begin to rush past. IF, these thing EVER stop giving me 'goosebumps', then I'll know, for sure, it's time to quit. I hope it'll never happen for me until my final sailaway. So, don't you ever feel like you've got to rush being jaded by one of the wonders of being able to cruise. ENJOY !!

Mac

When I did my first cruise 6 months ago, I embraced all those newbie behaviours. And while I still had phone coverage in the harbour i documented it all by way of video and photos and posted to facebook much to the amusement of my seasoned cruise loving friends following along at home. It was fun. The novelty glasses. Discovering the life jacket. Flirting with cute wait staff. Excited at the sight of land. We had a ball doing that, and while the same kind of things probably won't excite me as much on my upcoming christmas + new year cruise, i hope i see some obv first timers!!

And p.s. i don't get all these conversation about lanyards and purses. .. just wear and do what is comfortable for you! [emoji106]

06a20036a23b0bab8b2ae59be5f8297c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh...you know you are a newbie cruiser when you think page 11 is the end of the thread!

You have to have a lanyard otherwise why are you taking the magnetic hooks to hang it on by the door?

There are newbies and different cultures/sexes.... Brits will go lobster by day 2 because we dont get the sun you good folks in Florida get!

Americans WILL pile up plates at buffets because they can, and leave it because they can (yup i've been to Vegas)

Americans have purses but Brits have handbags. Men always rely of their women having their handbag to carry their stuff!

Only a man can brag about cruising with one small carry one.

Men can survive with max 4 pairs shoes black/brown/trainers/flip flops.

Americans have fanny packs but in UK f is the front bottom....hence Brits have bum bags but generally wear them in front!

Newbies might book ship excursions but will not spend all day checking their watch (although bad enough getting to meeting points/coach etc)

My only newbie fear is to stop myself quoting Titanic... 'i felt a shudder'...'will the boats be seated by class'...'smell ice can yah?'....'how is accommodation in 3rd class?..best i've seen hardly any rats' etc etc.

Newbie cruisers ask great questions:

1) What time is the Midnight Buffet?

2) What do you do with the ice sculptures after they melt?

3) Do these stairs go up or down?

4) Where is the elevator that goes to the front of the ship?

and my personal favorite- When do we get to turn our money into Alaskan money?

The great lanyard discussion.

Why don't the ladies out there assemble a cruise wardrobe that makes cruising simpler for them? Leave outfits that can't accommodate a key card at home. Consider buying a skirt or two that will compliment a number of different tops that have at least one pocket for your cruise card. Do the same with your choice of slacks or shorts you intend to pack. Not a big fan of shopping? You could also take a favorite dress or skirt you wanted on your cruise to a tailor and have them sew in a small side or rear pocket. Bye, bye lanyard.

What was supposed to be a humorous take on wearing a cow bell, I mean lanyard, around one's neck looks to have turned into a bit of an Andy Rooney rant. I apologize.

Hilarious, thank you!!! Like a lanyard or a beach bag is such an issue that I would buy special clothing (or add a weird pocket) juuuust for the cruise!!! Thanks for the giggle! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So many women on this cruise carrying huge purses everywhere.

Biggest first time cruiser sign? Wearing your swimsuit all over the ship. Pool to room, fine. In the Centrum? In the lounges?

Maybe they lost their luggage.

Oh, and a bikini top and micro mini skirt do not a formal outfit make.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Forums mobile app

• 5 weeks later...
:D

My wife and I have only done fourteen cruises, but (while I can't speak for her, or anybody else) I STILL feel that 'feeling' as I see that BIG white beautiful decked MOUNTAIN, hear that first 'ding' of my sign and sail card on the security kiosk as I step aboard, and hear that wonderful blast of the underway horn as I feel the ship moving away and watching the bright blue ocean begin to rush past. IF, these thing EVER stop giving me 'goosebumps', then I'll know, for sure, it's time to quit. I hope it'll never happen for me until my final sailaway. So, don't you ever feel like you've got to rush being jaded by one of the wonders of being able to cruise. ENJOY !!

Mac

You had me at 'ding' of the sail away card! Embark is the best lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
Women who carry their big purses around all day. You're at sea. You don't need anything in that bag.

I second the cruise card on a lanyard around the neck thing too. To me that's a sure sign someone is new to cruising.

So if you don't carry a bag about and dont have cruise card on a lanyard where do you carry it? Also where do you carry camera, pool gear etc?

Ok so as a pre newbie...first cruise in a few months, I totally get that newbies can stand out by their surprise and their habits and ignorance of cruise ships etc and give the seasoned cruisers a laugh. No problem with that. Part of how it goes.

I am wondering if there is a big deal with having newbies on board and why are they desperate not to be noticed as newbies? Have to say I am laughing myself silly at some of the rookie comments here and hoping I won't come out with some of those classics but the bag thing is a thing I don't see me getting around. I will for sure make lots of mistakes that make me stand out but what about it? I hope seasoned cruisers will be friendly all the same.

Ok so as a pre newbie...first cruise in a few months, I totally get that newbies can stand out by their surprise and their habits and ignorance of cruise ships etc and give the seasoned cruisers a laugh. No problem with that. Part of how it goes.

I am wondering if there is a big deal with having newbies on board and why are they desperate not to be noticed as newbies? Have to say I am laughing myself silly at some of the rookie comments here and hoping I won't come out with some of those classics but the bag thing is a thing I don't see me getting around. I will for sure make lots of mistakes that make me stand out but what about it? I hope seasoned cruisers will be friendly all the same.

Calling you 'sea legs!. Believe me, WE all were new to cruising at one time although I'll admit SOME of these 'Old Salts' here must have had an cove balcony on Chris Columbus's ship in 1492 (Just kidding !! folks). But, seriously for the majority, 99.9% of the passenger on your cruises are wonderful, normal people but as in life you'll see OR worse.. Hear the chronic complainer. Just ignore them, do NOT let them ruin your cruise. Nothing in life is perfect, and sometimes this includes a cruise. SOME people are never happy unless they're EITHER complaining or looking for something, anything too complain about. BE proud of your new found cruise status. As I mentioned on Cruise Critic before, when I become SO jaded, that the thrill and goosebumps of hearing the 'ding' of the security kiosk on the boarding deck or the deep whistle of the 'underway horn' doesn't faze me, well then I'll know it's time to stop cruizin. Personally, I hope that time NEVER comes, till my final 'sailaway'. :) So, WLCOME to cruise critic, have a FANTASTIC cruise !! Hopefully, it won't be your last!

Mac

Having just got back from my first cruise, I certainly walked around with a big grin on my face way too much, and kept saying things like "I can't believe how big the ship is!" Or, "where's my cabin again? I thought it was right over here..." I'm pretty sure I seemed like a newbie when we barely made it back to the ship in Costa Maya - "you mean they really leave when they say they will?" What can I say - I got sidetracked by the Tequila Museum and Tasting room:D.

Perhaps that is a virgin mistake as well?

Brought a BIG grin to my face. It reminded me of me wife's astonished comment when, in 2007, she boarded her 1st cruise aboard the Carnival Holiday ( a small ship, by today's standards). She exclaimed, 'HOW does this thing stay afloat!!'. Now, after 10 years, we still chuckle at her wide-eyed innocence. But, she still, to this day is SOOO excited about a cruise. :)

Mac

Calling you 'sea legs!. Believe me, WE all were new to cruising at one time although I'll admit SOME of these 'Old Salts' here must have had an cove balcony on Chris Columbus's ship in 1492 (Just kidding !! folks). But, seriously for the majority, 99.9% of the passenger on your cruises are wonderful, normal people but as in life you'll see OR worse.. Hear the chronic complainer. Just ignore them, do NOT let them ruin your cruise. Nothing in life is perfect, and sometimes this includes a cruise. SOME people are never happy unless they're EITHER complaining or looking for something, anything too complain about. BE proud of your new found cruise status. As I mentioned on Cruise Critic before, when I become SO jaded, that the thrill and goosebumps of hearing the 'ding' of the security kiosk on the boarding deck or the deep whistle of the 'underway horn' doesn't faze me, well then I'll know it's time to stop cruizin. Personally, I hope that time NEVER comes, till my final 'sailaway'. :) So, WLCOME to cruise critic, have a FANTASTIC cruise !! Hopefully, it won't be your last!

Mac

Very true. Nobody has to validate their choice of where to eat, whether to use a lanyard or not, or anything else. They should, however, follow the rule of using common sense and common courtesy so that all on board can fully enjoy their cruise experience!

Tom