Sorry cannot find a recent thread—Hotel for pre-cruise stay in Barcelona for 2 nights

ken_nyc

I am booking the Catalonia Catedral pre-cruise one night and Catalonia Barcelona Plaza post-cruise one night. I have stayed in Catalonia hotels on previous visits to Spain (first time in Barcelona) and have found them to be clean and very convenient and all around nice hotels. The do run upwards from $100/night and are 4 star.

• 3 weeks later...

Booked a Harmony for September 2016, really excited! Lots of suggestions of hotels and after reviewing a few, got stupid-excited!! But I was curious, I have heard some who have rented apartments in Barcelona for 1 and 2 nights and the rates are cheaper then a hotel, not to mention as close to the port as one. However, I couldn't seem to find a website or information from those posters. Does anyone know of a website which they have used to inquire of one? Thx much!

Booked a Harmony for September 2016, really excited! Lots of suggestions of hotels and after reviewing a few, got stupid-excited!! But I was curious, I have heard some who have rented apartments in Barcelona for 1 and 2 nights and the rates are cheaper then a hotel, not to mention as close to the port as one. However, I couldn't seem to find a website or information from those posters. Does anyone know of a website which they have used to inquire of one? Thx much!

As tourism has exploded in Barcelona the past 15 years, it has pretty much been a buyers market with new options popping up almost daily. Barcelona has a new mayor who has really started looking at how these tourist apartments are effecting the locals. I only point this out as booking any apartment this far out for Barcelona might involve the risk that the practice or legality of this type of rental might change prior to your stay.

The website Air BNB has really been the fastest growth site for secure apartment rentals. Tripadvisor has a vacation rentals section on their website and used to have 'alternative accommodation' reviews but I have not seen them recently.

Then, you have a form of hotel called 'Apart-hotels' in Spain that book through many of the same channels as hotels.

Market conditions have actually seemed to me that often these apartment options, while providing convenience, are not always such great value either in Barcelona depending on date of stay.

We stayed at the Renaissance Barcelona for 2 nights precruise and one night post cruise in July. It was a great location and the room was very nice. They also have a buffet breakfast, which wasn't all that good but plentiful. We used our Marriott points so it was really a great deal!

We booked a 1/2 day tour with Barcelona Day Tours on our arrival in Barcelona. The driver picked us up at the airport in a very nice BMW and took us around the city to all the pertinent sites. It helped us get acclimated to the time change. I definitely recommend them!

Edited by vplsh

Three blocks from Placa de Catalunya; Vasanta Hotel Boutique. A small and hidden gem.

32644222.jpg

33938364.jpg

We had the room (#6 I think) below, rooms at the side and back of the hotel have a small terrace. Despite being at the inside of the block a nice place to sit with a Spanish wine and some bought tapas after a long day.

vasanta-hotel-boutique.jpg

You can walk to Placa de Catalunya in a few minutes, walk down the Ramblas towards the Port buses for your cruise in under 20-25 minutes. Or cab it. :)

Does anyone know about the MARGOT HOUSE to stay at?

That property just opened in May of 2015 I think. That is an excellent location in my favorite neighborhood of Barcelona, the Eixample.

I have not had the pleasure of staying with them yet, but have stayed often in the area and the location comes highly recommended.

While they only have 11 reviews on trip advisor right now, they have had 75 really good booking dot com reviews where they are running at a 9.2 'wonderful' rating at the moment.

The only negatives seem to be that this is only part of the building where they are housed and you have to ring to enter the hotel and the fact that not many of the rooms have exterior windows. This is very common in Spain though as most rooms face small interior courtyards.

Have stayed at the Acta Atrium, Meridien, etc.

This year after recommendations from friends we are staying at Hotel Colon, across from the Cathedral, steps away from Las Ramblas but away from the noise there. In the Barri Gottic, which always appeals to me because of the numerous restaurants (less pricey than las Ramblas) and unique stores, winding streets, etc.

The rates were really reasonable when we booked well in advance.

There are so many nice places to stay in Barcelona. I'd focus on the neighbourhood that appeals to you and then choose from there.

Have stayed at the Acta Atrium, Meridien, etc.

This year after recommendations from friends we are staying at Hotel Colon, across from the Cathedral, steps away from Las Ramblas but away from the noise there. In the Barri Gottic, which always appeals to me because of the numerous restaurants (less pricey than las Ramblas) and unique stores, winding streets, etc.

The rates were really reasonable when we booked well in advance.

There are so many nice places to stay in Barcelona. I'd focus on the neighbourhood that appeals to you and then choose from there.

I stayed there..can not beat the view of the cathedral if u got a balcony room...stunning.

Hotel1898 I have heard is fabulous and I would definitely stay there if I had the budget

Hotel jazz is probably one of the most popular for cruisers although I noticed their prices have increased.

That Vasanta Boutique hotel looks great..I'm going to check it out!!

El jardi ( rick steeves ) is good if you are looking for a very basic room but amazing area and low price.