Gijon

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Gijon in 2012. We just wandered around town. As I remember it was quite a nice city. My wife and a friend did the Hop on Hop off bus so they got a nice tour. Gijon is famous for cider. It was cheap and when served had a very unique way of pouring it (at least where we went). But I will tell you it is definitely an acquired taste. Very bitter but it sort of grows on you. However if you drink, at least worth a try just to say you've had it. :)

We had a port call in Gijón a couple of years ago during a TA on Celebrity. We did as much research as we could (not much to find) and decided to take a ship's excursion to the nearby town of Oviedo, which has an interesting cathedral and a pedestrian-only old town. It was fine for a few hours, not sure whether Gijón would have been better or not.

Whatever you do, it's not likely to be the most exciting day of your trip, which I hope is a good one.

OviedoCathedral1024x678_zpsbce13cb1.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Was on Anthem in June and opted to do the ship tour to Aviles and Luanco. Well organised and inexpensive, it was a good way to pass a few hours. Luanco is a fishing village and was a short stop and then a longer guided walking tour in historic centre of Aviles with some free time.