Stressed out! Port canaveral help please!

cruiser 1952

I have researched and it has stressed me out! We were going to drive from North Georgia to Port Canaveral but I made a decision yesterday to fly. My husband and I both have to work the day before we were planning on driving down for our cruise so......it would not be a good way for our vacation to begin! Of course I would like to get the best price that I can on transportation to and from MCO to Port Canaveral, hotel for the night before and transportation to cruise ship. Any suggestions from some of you that live close or have done this before? We are cruising on Enchantment at the end of August.

I have researched and it has stressed me out! We were going to drive from North Georgia to Port Canaveral but I made a decision yesterday to fly. My husband and I both have to work the day before we were planning on driving down for our cruise so......it would not be a good way for our vacation to begin! Of course I would like to get the best price that I can on transportation to and from MCO to Port Canaveral, hotel for the night before and transportation to cruise ship. Any suggestions from some of you that live close or have done this before? We are cruising on Enchantment at the end of August.

Check pricing to/from Melbourne, Fl airport. Delta and USAirways serves this airport. (MLB)

A one way car rental would probably the most cost efficient. If this is not something you want to do the three most popular shuttles are Cocoa Beach Shuttle, Executive VIP Limo or Travelynx. Do NOT take a taxi......it would cost you $$$.

I believe Radisson At The Port now does airport pick up, so you may want to check with them.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!

Since there are so many flights from ATL to MCO I would suggest skipping the hotel and fly in on the first flight the morning of your cruise.

Even if there are problems, you could always just take a later flight.

We like to rent a car from Budget. Once at the port, drop off luggage and any passengers, return the car, and take the shuttle back to port.

The Budget rental office is busy and the shuttle driver will appreciate not having to handle your luggage. Still throw him a few bucks though. Be sure to sign up for Budget's frequent renter program - it's free and will save you time and maybe some money.

On the way home, reverse the process. Try to take a later flight home, so you can visit Kennedy Space Center and the AWESOME Space Shuttle Atlantis exhibit before heading to MCO.

Edited by HUNKY

I know you stated that you don't want to drive, considering the airfare out of ATL to MCO is going to possibly be in the same price range as your cruise fare/cost. I would do the drive, and save the extra money for the cruise, or just bank it. Just checking Expedia and Southwest, the fares are going from the low-mid $300's and up per person, and the cruises for the end of August is around the same price for an interior guarantee. I have driven from Port Canaveral to Orlando, and then on to Washington County, GA, then back to the Northeast several times in both directions. It usually takes me 6-7 hours (Orlando to Sandersville, GA) depending on traffic, so using the city of Dalton, GA to Port Canaveral, its 8.5 hours or so. I would maybe leave out late at night, or early the next morning, after getting some rest to do the drive, or leave out after work, and get a room either in MCO or closer to the port that offered free parking for the week.

Edited by sjcruiser

We've driven from NC to Port Canaveral and worked the day before many times and never had any issues. ;) Besides, we always fly Delta and by the time we get up, drive to RDU, fly to ATL for our connecting flight, fly to FL and get to our hotel, we can literally drive it in that same time frame. Driving down on our own is much less stressful than flying sometimes. :)

Since you are now only about 30 days out, you won't find many good deals on airfare. What budget are you looking at paying? Including airfare, transportation to the port and back to the airport, you're talking some good bucks now......bucks that could be used onboard. We always drive and stay at a hotel that offers free parking, so we just pay for the taxi to and from the port and back to the hotel.

Remember any flight into MCO is taking people to "Mickey" land so there are not that many good deals on that route.

Since you have to work the day before maybe you could drive as far as Kingsland GA.....or even Jax after you get off from work and do the last 2 hrs the morning of the cruise.

We are 30 miles East of Atlanta and we make the drive to PC quite often because I won't fly.....LOL......:o

Edited by GTO-Girl

We drove from NC this past May to Cocoa Beach. Stayed at Comfort Suites with the drive and cruise package. Left out car there and got free shuttle to/from ship. Very easy, no stress.

Plus, we were not worried about having to pack for the airline on the way back and we could get a couple of things that were large that we would not have been able to get if we had flown.

Thanks everyone! I made reservations yesterday morning through Southwest. I had $100 credit with them so it made our flights somewhat reasonable. I would be fine with the drive but my husband is battling degenerative disc disease and he really needs a day of rest before a long road trip like that. All of you have given me some great ideas! I am going to check with Radisson. I am just stressing out about how to get us from Orlando to Port Canaveral at the best price! I want my husband to have a wonderful, stress free cruise! :p

Cruiser1952 ,

I stressed about not finding a really "great" deal near Port Canaveral with transportation to and from MCO and shuttle to the ship. I ended up booking with Comfort Inn Cocoa Beach the "fly, sleep, and cruise" package. I don't pay until I get there. The hotel gets mixed reviews and they use Travelynx to/ from MCO. We will be there the beginning of August. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruiser1952 ,

I stressed about not finding a really "great" deal near Port Canaveral with transportation to and from MCO and shuttle to the ship. I ended up booking with Comfort Inn Cocoa Beach the "fly, sleep, and cruise" package. I don't pay until I get there. The hotel gets mixed reviews and they use Travelynx to/ from MCO. We will be there the beginning of August. Good luck!

It looks like it is going to be around $200! That includes a room for the night and all transportation. I might as well just "bite the bullet" and make a reservation. Did you call the Comfort Inn or book it online?

We have it booked for 227.49. I booked the package online but also called the main desk. When you call the hotel directly you can't book with main desk so on-line was easy. The website tells you everything to include in your reservation. If I remember I will get back on and let you know how everything went!

Courtyard also does the fly snooze cruise package. I have it booked for October. At around the 220.00 price for the 2 of us. Also includes R/T transportation to hotel , then port on cruise day, and back to MCO after cruise.

And of course the 1 night stay.

They also use Travelnx for transportation.