Air Canada sale to London

Cruise Junky

That is an excellent price. Have just been reading the terrible PR on WestJet flights to London. They bought 23-25 year old 767's from Qantas and have had many problems. Cancelled flights, late flights.

News to me. If a flight in the EU is delayed by more than 3 hours the airline apparently has to give the delayed passenger 600e. On one London flight alone WestJet's delay cost them $225K!.

Edited by iancal

I read the westjet article too. It's not doing them any favours both with delays and the lack of service onboard. We jumped on the AC Sale as there's no where in Europe you can't get to from London. Haven't seen it that low on a regular carrier in years.

We have been doing open jaws on Transat and it has worked well for us. We cherry pick. Last summer/fall it was Toronto-Athens and then back home Paris-Calgary. Our son did Transat to London last week and will return home to Calgary from Glasgow. Good fares. It is less expensive to book an open jaw return with Transat than it is to book 2 separate one ways with them.

Just picked up a great fare on WestJet Halifax-St. Johns-Dublin-Halifax since we will be in the Maritimes in August. Fortunately they use 737 for the 4.5hr flight to Dublin and not problem aircraft.

I found the fare on matrix it and on expedia. Called Westjet directly because their website does not accommodate multi stop tickets. The WestJet book direct price was just under 20 percent higher per person ($140) than the expedia price. No difference in fare class/conditions that we could see. This has happened to us before on WestJet, and on our A/C flight to Bangok. In the latter case Orbitz was 30 percent less expensive than AC direct....same routing, same fare class, same flights, with pricing comparisons within 10 minutes of each other.

Edited by iancal

We have been doing open jaws on Transat and it has worked well for us.
It was Air Transat that delayed a family member for 24 hours a few weeks back, on her way back to Toronto. A rolling delay, of course, so it was a long time hanging around at the airport before they finally admitted defeat and sent them all to hotels for the night. Some savvy passengers rapidly spread the news amongst everyone about the entitlement to €600 per person.

There's nothing magical about open jaws on Air Transat, nor about that airline's pricing of them. It's pretty standard stuff.

News to me. If a flight in the EU is delayed by more than 3 hours the airline apparently has to give the delayed passenger 600e. On one London flight alone WestJet's delay cost them $225K!.

Just to clarify - if it's a non-EU based airline, such as Westjet, compensation is only due for delays departing from the EU. So, for example, Westjet could have every flight to and from the EU delayed, but they only owe on the flights leaving the EU. If they were an EU-based airline, it would be due in both directions.

Example: Westjet flies Toronto to London and arrives four hours late = no EU compensation due. Westjet flies London to Toronto and arrives four hours late = EU compensation due. But an airline like British Airways could fly the same route with the same delay and compensation would be due in both cases.

The amount of compensation also depends on the length of the delay, and it isn't due for things outside of the airlines fault (such as weather).

Just to clarify - if it's a non-EU based airline, such as Westjet, compensation is only due for delays departing from the EU. So, for example, Westjet could have every flight to and from the EU delayed, but they only owe on the flights leaving the EU. If they were an EU-based airline, it would be due in both directions.
To be pedantic, if it's an EU airline, compensation would be due whether the flight is from the EU or to the EU. However, the compensation obligation does not extend to any flight by an EU airline which is neither from the EU nor to the EU.

In addition, AIUI, "EU" for these purposes actually includes EEA as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Fares are low, especially for this year. Combination of less expensive fuel, less traffic or increased capacity perhaps?

Son #2 and GF booked Vancouver-Paris three days ago for a mid August (2016) flight. $680 CAD return on Transat.

Edited by iancal

Fares are low, especially for this year. Combination of less expensive fuel, less traffic or increased capacity perhaps?

Airlines are going to sell the most they can get for seats regardless of their cost base.

Put it this way if you own an income property that has a mortgage on it, would you reduce the rent once that mortgage is paid off?

Airlines are going to sell the most they can get for seats regardless of their cost base.

Put it this way if you own an income property that has a mortgage on it, would you reduce the rent once that mortgage is paid off?

To mirror the thinking of many here....of course you should. You should give me a place to live at the absolute lowest price with no business consideration for yourself.

:)

Well look it AC 767 leaving Glasgow it was 2 days before they left or AT leaving London a day late because of suspicion of drinking

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not sure what Air Transit has to do with AC and I believe the AC flight you are referring to was in Manchester, not Glasgow. I have 100s of thousands of miles on AC and quite like them.

I have flown AC for years-business and pleasure. Sure we have had the odd less than perfect flight but on balance we like them. Certainly more than we do WestJet or any of the US carriers. For Europe we like Lufthansa, for SE Asia we like ANA.

I think with AC, what irritates us is when we live in TBay and they would charge like 800 RT to Toronto which is like 90 minutes long and the FA we're rude, lost baggage

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think with AC, what irritates us is when we live in TBay and they would charge like 800 RT to Toronto which is like 90 minutes long and the FA we're rude, lost baggage

Airline pricing is NOT a direct function of distance, but rather the supply/demand curves for a particular city-pair with market-share positioning tossed into the mix.

Rude FA. Lost bags. Yep, time to boycott AC and switch to WestJet. Of course, if they have a rude FA you may be taking an Uber to Toronto - which is mileage based.