Heathrow to Southampton

raysig

We are arriving a day early on BA for our Sea Princess trip to Barbados from Southampton. Our original plan was to stay at Heathrow in the Hilton at Terminal 4. We've used that hotel in the past; it's pricey but it COULD be convenient for catching the Princess transfer bus. I say COULD be because I made an assumption that is proving not to be the case: that Princess would pickup pax at terminal 4. My TA has gotten 3 responses from Princess, all saying basically the same thing: The transfer bus will pickup at the AA arrival area. We must be there between 930 and 945AM, find the PCL representative and hangout there for the bus. Otherwise we risk not getting the transfer.

I am really not looking forward to schlepping my bags from one terminal to another and looking for the right person in the worlds busiest airport with a fifteen minute time window.

I have just begun to explore alternatives. Among the things I am considering is finding our way to Southampton on the afternoon of our arrival, either by bus or taxi (limo?). We would stay in a hotel or B&B and have time for a day tour early in the morning, embarking after noon.

What I am looking for are comments about (1) the transportation options to Southampton (2) information about B&Bs in Southamption and (3) ideas for half day tours of the sights or cultural venues in the Southampton area. Cost is not necessarily a factor in our choices.

Any input from those who have been there recently is very appreciated.

We have used a private transfer company, Woodford Chauffeur Cars, to get from London to Southampton and back a couple of times now, and I think it's the best option. It's actually quite cost effective if you are traveling with others who can agree to split the cost. They have comfortable vans with room for all your luggage and cars if there are just two of you. The best thing is that you can tailor your itinerary as you wish - direct to your hotel, or do some touring in the countryside. The drivers know some great spots for lunch, too. Highly recommended.

I'm using the National Express bus next week, did this once before and worked out pretty well. Here is the link:http://www.nationalexpress.com/

Staying at the Hotel Ibis but someone almost got me to switch to a good looking B&B, but didn't have the room I wanted available. Check it out, it seems like a nice place. http://www.hunterslodgehotel.net/index.html

Doug

I would suggest National Coach /bus to Southampton and stay in a hotel or B&B there

Theres a large Shopping centre/Mall almost opposite the cruise terminal if you need to kill time much more pleasant than anything around Heathrow

I'm hoping that someone who'se been there will comment on the B&Bs or area sights.

Is there anyone out there?

:)

We too took Woodford Chauferred Cars last summer, but from Gatwick to Southampton. At the end of the cruise they picked us up and drove us to London for a post cruise stay...price was about $135 GBP each way.

In Southampton we stayed at the Devere. Very nice hotel, about $125 GBP. They had a free shuttle to take us to the pier the next day. We ate dinner and breakfast in their dining room.

We were so exhausted after our flight and drive that we just walked over to the shopping mall, had lunch then walked around the town...

Have a great trip.

We used: http://www.london-transfers.com/ They do all kinds of transfers and tours all over England.

Ray was wonderful to work with while we were in London. We hired him to take us to the airport one day and then another day, we did a 5 hr. London tour. Both times he was early and patiently waiting for us when we arrived at the agreed upon times. He is an amazing, interesting person and knows so much about the history of England. I highly recommend him & his service. :)

We used: http://www.london-transfers.com/ They do all kinds of transfers and tours all over England.

Ray was wonderful to work with while we were in London. We hired him to take us to the airport one day and then another day, we did a 5 hr. London tour. Both times he was early and patiently waiting for us when we arrived at the agreed upon times. He is an amazing, interesting person and knows so much about the history of England. I highly recommend him & his service. :)

I agree. I've used Ray before also and we are using him for our transfers from London to Southampton next week. After a long flight, it is wonderful to have someone there to greet you with your name on a sign!

We have used a private transfer company, Woodford Chauffeur Cars, to get from London to Southampton and back a couple of times now, and I think it's the best option. It's actually quite cost effective if you are traveling with others who can agree to split the cost. They have comfortable vans with room for all your luggage and cars if there are just two of you. The best thing is that you can tailor your itinerary as you wish - direct to your hotel, or do some touring in the countryside. The drivers know some great spots for lunch, too. Highly recommended.

Thanks spongerob. I have contacting them for availability. You are the second one top recommend them.

What I am looking for are comments about (1) the transportation options to Southampton (2) information about B&Bs in Southamption and (3) ideas for half day tours of the sights or cultural venues in the Southampton area.

1) The national express bus takes about 1:45 h and costs somethink like GBP 12.

2) The main area for B&Bs in Southampton is north of the city center, maybe 30 minutes to walk or more. For a one night stay you might prefer to stay right on High Street. Here the Star Hotel and the Dolphin, two old coaching inns, are located. Close to the port but outside the historic walls are some modern hotels, the De Vere as most luxurious one, a Holiday Inn.

3) Southampton has much to offer. For example there are the Maritime Museum, the medieval merchant home, the Tudor House museum, the Museum of archeology and the City Gallery which was National Fine Art Museum of the Year and has one of the most renown collections of contemporary British art. All over the city you can see various Titanic Memorials. Also interesting are the city walls which can be visited on your own or by a free tour starting at the Bargate.

1) The national express bus takes about 1:45 h and costs somethink like GBP 12.

2) The main area for B&Bs in Southampton is north of the city center, maybe 30 minutes to walk or more. For a one night stay you might prefer to stay right on High Street. Here the Star Hotel and the Dolphin, two old coaching inns, are located. Close to the port but outside the historic walls are some modern hotels, the De Vere as most luxurious one, a Holiday Inn.

3) Southampton has much to offer. For example there are the Maritime Museum, the medieval merchant home, the Tudor House museum, the Museum of archeology and the City Gallery which was National Fine Art Museum of the Year and has one of the most renown collections of contemporary British art. All over the city you can see various Titanic Memorials. Also interesting are the city walls which can be visited on your own or by a free tour starting at the Bargate.

Thank you for your input. I'll look into your hotels over the weekend.

• 1 year later...
Does anyone have experience using the bus to return to Heathrow from the ship? Is the bus station swamped with cruisers? Any chance of missing the bus due to the crowds? The price is very tempting

Best option is to purchase an e-ticket from the National Express web site so you have a reserved seat. Its only a small bus station, at most there is two coaches in at a time.

If you purchase well in advance of the web site you might get much cheaper promotional fares too as little as 2 GBP - only available on the web site.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived