How long will the UK Red Dust Storm Last?

Surprised it made the news that far away, even though it's affected a large part of Europe. Mebbe it's a quiet news week.;)

Woke up to find my car needing a damned-good clean, but that's about it.

The grass is still green, the rooftops are fine, you'd not notice it unless you'd left your car outside.

Came down with the rain, so places that saw no rain were unaffected & others mebbe affected a little more than me.

No fun for asthmatics, but I don't entirely understand weather forecasters' references to "pollution".

We get this sort of very quirky weather mebbe once every few years. And in the past it's included fishes & frogs coming down from the sky (I'm not making this up)

This time it's sand from the Sahara - about 1500 miles away.

No frogs. No fishes.

And hopefully won't last for forty days and forty nights.

JB :)

... the photos looked awful ...
Looking at the London photos (including that one of the car outside 10 Downing Street), I found it hard to tell the difference. Looking out of my window here, it just looks like a dull day like many others. I'd never have known that we were having unusual atmospheric conditions if I hadn't heard it on the news.

The reason for the publicity is that the Met Office has just taken over the job of publishing weather warnings (it used to be a private company), and the Met Office likes to feel important. And some people still think the Met Office says things that make sense! :)

The reason for the publicity is that the Met Office has just taken over the job of publishing weather warnings (it used to be a private company), and the Met Office likes to feel important. And some people still think the Met Office says things that make sense! :)

We really need a "Like" button! :)

The reason for the publicity is that the Met Office has just taken over the job of publishing weather warnings (it used to be a private company), and the Met Office likes to feel important.
Well, I hope they feel good about having caused the ambulance service a lot of extra work today. A large part of the reported spike in "breathing difficulties" callouts will have been psychological reaction to the news of unbreathable air, rather than genuine breathing difficulties caused by the pollution.

Surprised it made the news that far away, even though it's affected a large part of Europe. Mebbe it's a quiet news week.;)

JB :)

We live in Alaska, and this story has made the news here. Actually, in Fairbanks (which is in the middle of Alaska) we occasionally will have ash in the upper atmosphere from forrest fires in Siberia. The sky turns an interesting light pink in color.

We live in Alaska, and this story has made the news here.
A little snippet from the news today: yesterday's "record worst" day in London was at the same level of pollution as a pretty normal day in Peking.

As usual, it was more a case of Severe Loss Of Perspective Syndrome.

I live in central London and all I have noticed is dust on my car. I used to live in the Canaries where you get the hot winds (Sirocco) from the Sahara blowing up a sandstorm and both day and night temperatures over 40C. I agree with Globaliser it has just been another dull day in London, quite normal for this time of year.