Scottish Highlands

We're on a TA in May that ends in Southampton, and we'd like to visit Scotland for a few days before flying home to US. I've been advised that Glasgow is a good base for days trips, but I'm not sure the best way to get there from Southampton. I'd love to take a train if it would mean traveling through scenic countryside. What would you suggest?

There are a couple of ways to get to Scotland from Southampton. You can take a train to Birmingham and change there for your onward train to Glasgow or (what I would prefer) Edinburgh; otherwise, train to London Waterloo, change stations (either by underground or taxi) to Euston for Glasgow or Kings Cross for Edinburgh. Or, you can take the Caledonian Sleeper from Euston to Glasgow, Edinburgh or further north.

Thanks so much for your quick response about train service. Would you share with me why you recommend going to Edinburgh rather than Glasgow? We're still very open at this point and could do either. We are primarily interested in visiting castles and museums and seeing beautiful countryside.

I too would recommend Edinburgh over Glasgow. IMO Edinburgh, especially if you're staying city center, offers so much more to do. We usually do day trips outside the city, but then at night have the city to enjoy. The last two years we've rented apartments in old town, and can't wait to get back.

Even without taking day trips outside the city you'll stay busy - there's Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace, Royal Mile, Grass Market, the National Gallery of Scotland, National Museum of Scotland, and the list goes on and on.

Another favorite is Linlithgow where we've rented a house several times over the years. With a rental car it's really easy getting to Edinburgh, Stirling, Glasgow, etc.

Barbara

Edited by Girr

We're on a TA in May that ends in Southampton, and we'd like to visit Scotland for a few days before flying home to US. I've been advised that Glasgow is a good base for days trips, but I'm not sure the best way to get there from Southampton. I'd love to take a train if it would mean traveling through scenic countryside. What would you suggest?

If you would consider flying, it's a 70 min flight to Edinburgh or Glasgow with Flybe. It's a 20 min taxi to Southampton Airport and I have done this 3 times when staring a cruise from Southampton. The average cost is usually around £ 99 return including a 20kg bag, but you can book more. The train between Edinburgh and Glasgow takes approx. 50 mins and cost approx. £12 return. Glasgow and Edinburgh both have so much to see and most museums in Glasgow are free.

The title of this thread is Scottish Highlands so I wondered if it was particularly the Highlands you wanted to visit or just Scotland in general constantcruiser?

Glasgow and Edinburgh are both in the Central Lowlands and both have a great deal to offer but for me although Glasgow is an interesting city to visit there is no doubt that Edinburgh itself has much more to offer tourists. Also it would be very easy to visit Glasgow and St Andrews for the day from there.

However if it's the Highlands you want to see, then you might be better booking a tour. Someone on our roll call is doing a tour with Rabbie's. They offer small group tours from Edinburgh, anything from one day to 3 or 4 days up to 9. If a tour doesn't appeal, then for the Highlands you'd be better based further north, although you'd probably need a car for that.

We travel up and down to Southampton regularly and we think the best way to do it by train is to take the direct train at 9.45 a.m. from Southampton to Newcastle (Cross Country Trains) and change there for a train to Edinburgh on East Coast trains. It's best to book on the rail companies own websites and bookings open 12 weeks before departure. The scenery is absolutely beautiful between Newcastle and Edinburgh and other highlights on the way are Durham and York Cathedrals. If you do decide to travel by train be sure to sit on the right of the train nearer the coast for the best views

Edited by tartanexile81

I too would recommend Edinburgh over Glasgow. IMO Edinburgh, especially if you're staying city center, offers so much more to do. We usually do day trips outside the city, but then at night have the city to enjoy. The last two years we've rented apartments in old town, and can't wait to get back.

Even without taking day trips outside the city you'll stay busy - there's Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace, Royal Mile, Grass Market, the National Gallery of Scotland, National Museum of Scotland, and the list goes on and on.

Another favorite is Linlithgow where we've rented a house several times over the years. With a rental car it's really easy getting to Edinburgh, Stirling, Glasgow, etc.

Barbara

Edinburgh is awesome, don't miss it.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to visit the Highlands then why not take a flight from Gatwick to Inverness. As someone said Edinburgh and Glasgow are not the Highlands and are also both big and very different cities. For scenery Lochs castles and more I would venture further north but then I live at Loch Ness so I'm biased lol

...but then I live at Loch Ness so I'm biased lol

DebbieMacG,

Let me pick your brain then for a minute please. We will be spending 4 days in Benderloch at the end of August. While there we will have done a day outing to Glencoe and Ft. William. My question is:

The day we leave Benderloch our current plan is to drive to the Isle of Skye via the Ferry at Mallaig, out around the Trotternish Peninsula and back to Inverness via the bridge at Kyleakin. According to the on-line RAC route planner this is about a 7 hour drive and I'm assuming about 3 hrs for stopping & photos & Isle of Skye Life Museum. So that means this is an estimated 10 hour day. Assuming, we depart early enough to catch the 0930 ferry:rolleyes:, is this a reasonable trip? It is faster to take the bridge route both ways but then we retrace a lot of ground driving on to Inverness. Is this plan reasonable or have we bitten off way too much:o for one day?

Thanks,

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

Scotland is such a beautiful country with amazing places to see. Cruising friends we met used a private tour company to get the best use of their time while in Scotland, if you wish I can find details for you of who they used

You can get a high speed East Coast train all the way from London into the heart of the Highlands.

Use The Train Line starting out from Southampton and ending in Pitlochry (the southern most station on the edge of the national park).

You could also pick up this train in Newcastle if using the direct train from Southampton and so avoid crossing London. You could also break up your journey in Edinburgh.

If you wanted to go a more Westerly route, then head up to the area around Fort William. The journey is via Birmingham and Glasgow.

I think you will be quite shocked by the train fares, so it may be better time wise to fly from Southampton to Glasgow or Edinburgh and hire a car from there.

We booked our train journey to Edinburgh from London on East Coast site. If you book 3 months out they have some great deals.

• 2 weeks later...
DebbieMacG,

Let me pick your brain then for a minute please. We will be spending 4 days in Benderloch at the end of August. While there we will have done a day outing to Glencoe and Ft. William. My question is:

The day we leave Benderloch our current plan is to drive to the Isle of Skye via the Ferry at Mallaig, out around the Trotternish Peninsula and back to Inverness via the bridge at Kyleakin. According to the on-line RAC route planner this is about a 7 hour drive and I'm assuming about 3 hrs for stopping & photos & Isle of Skye Life Museum. So that means this is an estimated 10 hour day. Assuming, we depart early enough to catch the 0930 ferry:rolleyes:, is this a reasonable trip? It is faster to take the bridge route both ways but then we retrace a lot of ground driving on to Inverness. Is this plan reasonable or have we bitten off way too much:o for one day?

Thanks,

Greg

Sorry Greg I've only just seen this. You are better taking the ferry as you planned and not doing the bridge both ways as it's much further. I do however think the 7 hour driving estimate is low, the problem is that the RAC website uses speed limits as a guide and it's not possible to do the speed limit on the roads you will be travelling. The road to Mallaig is very twisty and it's easy to get behind a slow vehicle and end up doing 30mph instead of 60mph, the same applies to the Skye road from the bridge to Invermoriston and the A82 to Inverness, as well as Skye itself. I would add another 3 hours to the trip.

Having said that I don't think its unfeasible, leave in plenty of time for the ferry and the Mallaig road won't be as busy. Your trip follows a nice route and from just past Invermoriston to Lochend you will drive past most of Loch Ness passing through my village and The Loch Ness Centre & Exhibition were I am centre manager.

If it was me I would be tempted to add an extra night and spend some time near Loch Ness perhaps taking a cruise on the Loch the next day! But then I'm biased :D

• 2 months later...

We contacted Iain from Serenity Scotland and spent a week with him as driver, guide in the Highlands. He picked us up from our Edinburgh hotel & delivered us back to Glasgow for our flight home. Historian, folklorist, excellent communicator & now friend, we would recommend touring with him in a heartbeat. Sherri

We contacted Iain from Serenity Scotland and spent a week with him as driver, guide in the Highlands. He picked us up from our Edinburgh hotel & delivered us back to Glasgow for our flight home. Historian, folklorist, excellent communicator & now friend, we would recommend touring with him in a heartbeat. Sherri

I'm glad you had a great time :)