Assigned roommates on a cruise?

FamilyCruiseDiva

I guess I am easy going.But I really wanted to do this long Asia, China, South Pacific,Aust./NZ, Polynesia, HA. all in one cruise on Oceania. Love their food.And I am not getting any younger. My cruisemate is also a Westerner, retired Realtor, in my age group. But she is not well traveled and not travel detail oriented.Told her 1 bag, all junk kept under bed, all cosmetics in cosmetic bag.I will not be her tour leader.We shall see. I have had great luck with cruisemates so far.

Edited by zoncom

I remember seeing the part about the single share program. I thought about doing it, but for whatever reason I ended up not- either I didn’t have the money or I was nervous about traveling alone, maybe a mix of both. I regret that I didn’t do it! I'm sure I would have had a blast.

Don't be so sure that it would have been a blast. In the 1970s and 1980s I went on a number of cruises with a singles travel group where people could save money by rooming with strangers. I always paid extra to have my own cabin. Anyway, I remember the problems that one woman had when her roommate constantly fell asleep while smoking (smoking in the cabins was allowed back then, at least on HAL), and when the smoker was awake, she would get very drunk, and the woman had to drag her back to the cabin.

And there was a guy who paid relatively little so that he could share a cabin with three strangers and found out that he didn't like rooming with three strangers. He kept hinting and hinting to another guy who had paid for a cabin all to himself that he would love to room with him, but the other guy just ignored him.

And there was a widow whose daughter paid for a cabin for herself who said that she wouldn't dream of infringing on her daughter's privacy, but when she went into the cabin she had arranged to share with three strangers, she took one look at the cabin and ran to her daughter and said, "I'm staying with you!"

So sharing a cabin with strangers on a cruise wasn't always great.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't be so sure that it would have been a blast. In the 1970s and 1980s I went on a number of cruises with a singles travel group where people could save money by rooming with strangers. I always paid extra to have my own cabin. Anyway, I remember the problems that one woman had when her roommate constantly fell asleep while smoking (smoking in the cabins was allowed back then, at least on HAL), and when the smoker was awake, she would get very drunk, and the woman had to drag her back to the cabin.

And there was a guy who paid relatively little so that he could share a cabin with three strangers and found out that he didn't like rooming with three strangers. He kept hinting and hinting to another guy who had paid for a cabin all to himself that he would love to room with him, but the other guy just ignored him.

And there was a widow whose daughter paid for a cabin for herself who said that she wouldn't dream of infringing on her daughter's privacy, but when she went into the cabin she had arranged to share with three strangers, she took one look at the cabin and ran to her daughter and said, "I'm staying with you!"

So sharing a cabin with strangers on a cruise wasn't always great.

I did one of those in the '80s, and it was fine. My cabin-mate was pretty quiet, and we got along. I don't remember the name of the singles group - but it was popular at the time.

That was my very first cruise, and I loved it.

Now, I generally travel with a partner, but I would easily travel with a singles group again - sharing a cabin - if the situation arose.

I would easily travel with a singles group again - sharing a cabin - if the situation arose.

At least you wouldn't have to worry about someone falling asleep with a lit cigarette nowadays, but there's other stuff to worry about when it comes to sharing living quarters with complete strangers. I have no idea why people would balk at opening their house or apartment to complete strangers for a week but would have no problem sharing a cabin with complete strangers for a week. I mean, you don't know anything about those people, other than the cruiseline has approved their documentation to allow them to board. If they stole your stuff out of your closet or drawers or out of the safe, how would you prove it? And what could you do about it? And how could you be sure that one or more of them wouldn't try to hurt you while you're sleeping?

I just think it's strange that some people won't hire a babysitter to sit in their house or apartment for a few hours unless they get to know him/her first, while other people have no problem sharing living quarters with complete strangers for days or even a week.

Maybe some of you think that I'm paranoid, but really, when was the last time you told some complete strangers that you saw at the grocery store or the post office or something that you would like them to stay with you at your home?

At least you wouldn't have to worry about someone falling asleep with a lit cigarette nowadays, but there's other stuff to worry about when it comes to sharing living quarters with complete strangers. I have no idea why people would balk at opening their house or apartment to complete strangers for a week but would have no problem sharing a cabin with complete strangers for a week. I mean, you don't know anything about those people, other than the cruiseline has approved their documentation to allow them to board. If they stole your stuff out of your closet or drawers or out of the safe, how would you prove it? And what could you do about it? And how could you be sure that one or more of them wouldn't try to hurt you while you're sleeping?

I just think it's strange that some people won't hire a babysitter to sit in their house or apartment for a few hours unless they get to know him/her first, while other people have no problem sharing living quarters with complete strangers for days or even a week.

Maybe some of you think that I'm paranoid, but really, when was the last time you told some complete strangers that you saw at the grocery store or the post office or something that you would like them to stay with you at your home?

To me? I wouldn't do either......I saw your post on that other thread.

I would not say paranoid. I would tell you what is best for me. If you

are happy sharing a cabin, go for it:),,,,,I wasn't trying to tell you

what to do.

As for someone I don't know staying in my home? Not going to happen.

Leaving strangers with your CHILDREN in your HOME is NOT the same as sharing a cabin on a cruise ship with someone.

First of all, I don't have a huge amount of valuables with me - I bring jewelry that I wear. I bring very little cash. I don't believe that a cabin mate has any desire to steal my clothing.

The wonderful thing about this world is that there are many, MANY good people.

The other wonderful thing is that everyone can do what they enjoy and are comfortable doing without having the need to berate someone who doesn't feel the same way.

Respect is a two way street, and MOST people tend to show respect as a matter of civility.

To each their own.

Another person who has travelled extensively and shared rooms with strangers. A lot on land base tours as they don't offer it so much cruising.

But I wouldn't have had the opportunity of seeing so many places if I had to pay the single supplement.

I have meet some wonderful people during my travels. I am pretty easy going and haven't had a bad experience so far.

I am also a mid level public servant whose colleagues think I am mad to spend so much on travel, but its what I want to do. I am not really materialistic. I have no car, and I don't spend a lot on clothing, going out to dinner regularly, shows, etc.

I have made a lot of friends through travelling, some of which we have travelled together since and others who live in my home town that I have met we get together for lunch or dinner every couple of months.

The key to sharing is flexibility, respect and having an open mind well that is my thoughts on it.

Edited by icat2000

The other wonderful thing is that everyone can do what they enjoy and are comfortable doing without having the need to berate someone who doesn't feel the same way.

I wasn't berating anyone who wants to share a cabin on a cruiseship with strangers. I was merely wondering why they would do that if they weren't willing to open up their home to strangers.

Respect is a two way street, and MOST people tend to show respect as a matter of civility.

I'm not sure whom you're talking about. Are you saying that I didn't show respect to the person who wants to share a cabin with strangers? Are you saying that if someone shows respect to strangers in his/her cabin, those strangers will show respect to him/her? Regardless, I respect anyone who wants to room with strangers on a cruiseship. I just don't know why they would do that if they weren't willing to allow strangers from the grocery store or post office to move in with them.

Huh?:eek:.......we are all different people and what works for one person

doesn't necessarily work for someone else.

Different strokes for different folks:D

I wasn't berating anyone who wants to share a cabin on a cruiseship with strangers. I was merely wondering why they would do that if they weren't willing to open up their home to strangers.

I'm not sure whom you're talking about. Are you saying that I didn't show respect to the person who wants to share a cabin with strangers? Are you saying that if someone shows respect to strangers in his/her cabin, those strangers will show respect to him/her? Regardless, I respect anyone who wants to room with strangers on a cruiseship. I just don't know why they would do that if they weren't willing to allow strangers from the grocery store or post office to move in with them.

You are comparing two very different things, which I tried to point out in my last post.

Inviting a complete stranger to move into your home is NOT the same as sharing a cruise cabin with a complete stranger.

Your home has all of your belongings, you family, your valuables, your money, your personal items, etc.

Your cruise ship cabin has some basics needed for a week-long (more or less) cruise.

You also compared it to having a strange babysitter in your home.

That is about as far from a valid comparison as you can get.

Any mother who would trust a complete stranger to be home alone with her CHILD should be put in jail for neglect.

As you should be able to see by now, these circumstances, risks and other factors for your comparisons are COMPLETELY different.

The fact that YOU equated people who share a cabin with strangers to people who might allow a stranger in their home to babysit shows a bit of disrespect.

As I said before - to each their own.

Respect and civility are still traits that I find in most people I encounter, so I still trust people until and unless I have reason to do otherwise

And with this, I am done here.

Have a good weekend :)

Edited by DinaS

Any mother who would trust a complete stranger to be home alone with her CHILD should be put in jail for neglect.

Well, I don't know about that. If a babysitter had to cancel at the last minute, and the parents really needed to go somewhere, and if their mother or sister or best friend recommended their own babysitter, who had worked for them for years, and the couple had that babysitter come over into their home, I wouldn't put them in jail.

I think it would be worse to leave a child all alone in a house than with a babysitter used for years by people the child's parents trust, but maybe that's just me.

Someone mentioned Club Med early on in this thread.

The Windstar Wind Surf was originally owned by Club Med. There are two small safes in each cabin--large enough to hold a wallet, small camera, jewelry bag, and that's about it. It allowed each of the people in the cabin their own safe place to store valuables where their cabin mate wouldn't have access.

I believe as part of the overhaul they have been removing them and replacing them with a larger safe.

• 3 weeks later...
You are comparing two very different things, which I tried to point out in my last post.

Inviting a complete stranger to move into your home is NOT the same as sharing a cruise cabin with a complete stranger.

Your home has all of your belongings, you family, your valuables, your money, your personal items, etc.

Your cruise ship cabin has some basics needed for a week-long (more or less) cruise.

You also compared it to having a strange babysitter in your home.

That is about as far from a valid comparison as you can get.

As you should be able to see by now, these circumstances, risks and other factors for your comparisons are COMPLETELY different.

The fact that YOU equated people who share a cabin with strangers to people who might allow a stranger in their home to babysit shows a bit of disrespect.

As I said before - to each their own.

Respect and civility are still traits that I find in most people I encounter, so I still trust people until and unless I have reason to do otherwise

And with this, I am done here.

Have a good weekend :)

I have been in Antarctica for a month and missed the continuation on this topic.

Agree with Dina above - they were ridiculous comparisons to make. And re inviting strangers into your home - well about 30 million people now do that via AirB&B and make a tidy profit out of it.

This ship I was just on with 84 passengers consisted of:

16 couples sharing cabins.

17 solos who got the same deal as me - cabin to myself with no supplement.

The remaining 35 - most of them unfathomably wealthy and who can take these types of trips multiple times per year - were sharing with strangers in twin and triple cabins. Almost all didn't even speak the same language as each other. And all have done so on all of their voyages.

On my first 3 polar trips I shared with strangers in twin cabins (I am not tolerant enough to go for a triple!). And over the years I have also shared hotel rooms with strangers on land tours.

And for the super paranoid folks - it will no doubt completely freak you out that there are no safes and no locks on cabin doors when expeditioning !

Everyone has thousands of dollars worth of camera gear and laptops and iPads etc etc all laying out on desks in cabins and we even leave them laying around on tables in the bar or lounge for much of the day or evening.

Guess what - never heard of a theft on an expedition ship - ever ! As previously said - it comes down to mutual respect. Pretty sure the guy with the $10,000 canon lens isn't interested in my $500 camera anyway!

Agree perfectly. Lois has her view.I have mine. Lois does 7N Caribbeans.Affordable as solos. I prefer longer more exotics. Booked a 71N Oceania with an online cruisemate. Unaffordable without her. I no longer keep a car. Decided to use car money on vacations.Its worked well. Only time I had poor cabin mate experience was with my best friend. She just was not a traveler.She was more interested in Maitre D.Had 3 assigned roomies, all interesting.

Your trip sounds awesome !!!

I walk to work. Saves a fortune in vehicle ownership and public transport costs.

Zoncom- you must be a very easygoing person. I don't think there's anyone on the planet I could stand to be in a cabin with for 71 days! [emoji15]

Me either:eek:....

Seems the topic has veered off into "regular life"......I agree there

are many companies who come into people's homes......the Plumber,

Electrician, etc......I guess everyone does things differently.....vetting

as they say.....I have used the same A/C company for years and years.

I make my appointments for them to come when I am home. That is

not having someone I don't know "staying in my home"....that is a person

who does a job.

Not sure what that has to do with me sharing a cabin with a stranger.

Maybe I am just slow and don't get the comparison:confused:

Oh, I did want to say I went back and re-read this thread and I try to

do more than just "Caribbean Cruises"....actually next month I am going

to Alaska:)......Solo of course:)

Edited by Lois R

Another person who has travelled extensively and shared rooms with strangers. A lot on land base tours as they don't offer it so much cruising.

But I wouldn't have had the opportunity of seeing so many places if I had to pay the single supplement.

I have meet some wonderful people during my travels. I am pretty easy going and haven't had a bad experience so far.

I am also a mid level public servant whose colleagues think I am mad to spend so much on travel, but its what I want to do. I am not really materialistic. I have no car, and I don't spend a lot on clothing, going out to dinner regularly, shows, etc.

I have made a lot of friends through travelling, some of which we have travelled together since and others who live in my home town that I have met we get together for lunch or dinner every couple of months.

The key to sharing is flexibility, respect and having an open mind well that is my thoughts on it.

I've never shared a room with someone but would be open to it. I'm actually researching a land tour to Italy for spring of 2016 but I seem to have a big question about it. Maybe you could clear it up for me?

How did you handle the room safe issue? If I have money,travelers, passport etc I like to lock them in the room if I go out for a while. With two strangers sharing a room, how do you handle both of us needing to use it?

On the $ safety thing, have stayed in hostels, both US and abroad, no safes anywhere. Even co ed dorms. Sleep with your money belt on. Nice thing about cruise travel is not much cash required.Hopefully from your OBC act, small amounts at a time.. Tell your cabinmate you know to the penny how much $ you are stashing in room safe. I find a nice class of people cruise on the nicer mid range or above cruise ships. More danger on shore. Most of these are just glad to be able to do a cruise without that singles supplement and respect the OP for allowing a share.I am talking Seniors here.

I've never shared a room with someone but would be open to it. I'm actually researching a land tour to Italy for spring of 2016 but I seem to have a big question about it. Maybe you could clear it up for me?

How did you handle the room safe issue? If I have money,travelers, passport etc I like to lock them in the room if I go out for a while. With two strangers sharing a room, how do you handle both of us needing to use it?

If you are really "that" paranoid - ask the hotel if one of you can use the reception desk safe and the other use the room safe.

Or ask the desk for two large envelopes and place your stuff in one of them in the safe and your room mate can do the same. If even more paranoid - write on the outside of the envelope exactly what you are putting in there and take a photo of the contents on your phone as "evidence".

Or - just as easy - place your items in your carry on bag or suitcase under the bed with a padlock on it.

No real need to be carrying so much cash that there is a risk if you lose it. Stick with credit and debit cards - or travel cards if you really feel like paying more for useage. I rarely have more than $50 in small notes on me or in my purse at any given time.

At the end of the day - the people who are travelling on the same trip as you have paid the same amount for their holiday as you, are likely carrying similar amounts of cash and camera/computer gear as you, and have similar travels needs as you. They have also provided all their personal details to the travel company. So if you genuinely felt you had been robbed by a room mate - it would take about 4 minutes for the travel director to sort it out.

If you head over to forums for escorted touring such as many polar forums and ones for like Cosmos and Trafalgar - you will basically never see a forum topic saying "room mate stole my wallet" - because seriously - it would be "that" rare !

The "worst" I had was my first cabin mate on my first polar voyage. She was richer than sin but felt the need to sign my name on her drinks chits. On the final night of the voyage I was presented a bar bill (I dont drink on ships!) and I showed them my signature and they confirmed none were signed by me and moved the charges over to her account. On later voyages when I mentioned it I found others who had encountered her on many trips where she did the same thing and rarely got away with it. She was a loopy old loon.

She would be the exception to the general rule with cabin mates.

Thanks all,

As I said in my OP, this is a land vacation and not a cruise so I thought of putting things in my luggage and locking it. Wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not.

It's not a case of me being 'paranoid' as one person put it. It's just common sense of what happens in the real world and being ready for it.

I was thinking more of travelers checks vs. using my credit card but didn't know which exchange rate would be better?? After reading some of your responses it sounds like a credit card may be the way to go...

This is why I'm still researching my trip.. appreciate all the good advice, its nice to hear from those who've gone before me..:)

Travellers cheques went out with the dodo! Last used them in 1988! Could not name anyone (bar a few Americans) who still dig them out.

You "may" find some international banks who will cash them for you at a very high charge - you will not find any retailers any more who will touch them and the majority will look at you like you are from outer space. As I said - dodo!

Credit and debit cards are far more practical and used the world over. Ive been using credit cards all over the world since late 80s without any issues.

Have a spare wallet/purse that you lock in a zipped inner section of your luggage with a hundred in US or local currency and one spare credit card (Thats where I also hide my home house key - in carryon not checked bag). Rest of cash and the other credit card is the one you keep on you for daily useage.

In your smartphone create a list of useful numbers - specifically the banks for each card - the numbers to call them from foreign countries including any country and area codes etc. Include your full card numbers and any pin numbers you need to identify yourself over the phone.