Help me - kinda freaking out - just booked my 1st solo! :)

TurnLeftKasey

I just booked my 4th solo for next month. You will have a great time. People on a cruise are so friendly. Try a set dining time to meet the same people every night. I hung out a few times with people from my table after dinner. Get out there and have fun and don't worry what anyone else thinks. You'll never see them again anyway.

I just booked my second solo cruise, it has three stops and I only plan to get off at one of them.

I never sailed NCL before, and The Epic is so large I think I probably will not explore the entire ship in just the week I have. I am not even worried about being alone in a foreign country since I expect to be busy just learning the ship and it's features.

Remember, if you are feeling nervous about some location, there is no law saying you must get off the ship (at-least before the end of the cruise), enjoy the ship, maybe your next trip you will feel more adventurous.

Edited by Earl Colby Pottinger

I am a very independent person who feels very comfortable traveling within the US alone, but something about a being alone at sea in a foreign country is making me anxious! I know "I've got this" but any advice is appreciated! I'm soooo excited!

A cruise ship is a really safe place. If you get off the ship in a foreign country, they're keeping track. They will NOTICE if you are missing.

I find it a safer-feeling than flying out to a foreign country where no one will notice I am gone until I fail to check out of my hotel.

I just booked my second solo cruise, it has three stops and I only plan to get off at one of them.

I never sailed NCL before, and The Epic is so large I think I probably will not explore the entire ship in just the week I have. I am not even worried about being alone in a foreign country since I expect to be busy just learning the ship and it's features.

Remember, if you are feeling nervous about some location, there is no law saying you must get off the ship (at-least before the end of the cruise), enjoy the ship, maybe your next trip you will feel more adventurous.

Sounds like we booked the same cruise, what date are you sailing!?

I have been sailing solo since 2003.......have you checked the roll

call for your cruise? It is a nice way to meet other folks:)....and

I always feel comfortable and safe on the ship. Are you asking if the ship

keeps track of you?..I don't think so......after 40 something

cruises (solo).....I am pretty self sufficient and really don't want

them keeping track of me.

I have been sailing solo since 2003.......have you checked the roll

call for your cruise? It is a nice way to meet other folks:)....and

I always feel comfortable and safe on the ship. Are you asking if the ship

keeps track of you?..I don't think so......after 40 something

cruises (solo).....I am pretty self sufficient and really don't want

them keeping track of me.

I never checked the Roll Calls before because I was always with other people or on ships I already knew. This time I think I will check it out.

As for them checking on you, remember they want to keep you safe so you can spend more money in the future on cruises. Consider it self-interest that is to your benefit.

I think the ships "keep track" of all their passengers. That's why they have crew members swiping your sign and sail cards when you get off the ship, and when you get back on. I'm sure it's nothing sinister or intrusive aimed at solos.

:cool:

Very good points about safety - that's probably my main concern. I'm a single female. I didn't know if they keep track of solo guests more...

I tend to book cruise shore excursions for this very reason. They will know, at least when I'm on the excursion, where I am and when I would be coming back to the ship. At least I'm with a group from the same ship and not out in some port trying to negotiate a tour with folks who may or may not be connected to the ship. You end up paying more for the ship excursions but it does help with peace of mind. As a solo female traveller this is well worth the extra cost.

I love to travel solo but I am also careful about wandering off on my own in ports. You just need to have a level head and a bit of street smarts when you venture out.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Edited by cpcanuck

I tend to book cruise shore excursions for this very reason. They will know, at least when I'm on the excursion, where I am and when I would be coming back to the ship. At least I'm with a group from the same ship and not out in some port trying to negotiate a tour with folks who may or may not be connected to the ship. You end up paying more for the ship excursions but it does help with peace of mind. As a solo female traveller this is well worth the extra cost.

I love to travel solo but I am also careful about wandering off on my own in ports. You just need to have a level head and a bit of street smarts when you venture out.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Hi, I agree about using common sense for things:)....depending on the

port and what the tour is.....I book both, ship tours and private ones.

I will be sailing to Alaska in May:D and will be doing a private floatplane

tour in Ketchikan with a company called ISLAND WINGS. I have used

them before and feel totally comfortable booking with them again. They

are located within walking distance of the ship's dock and in this case,

a couple of other folks from the roll call are on the same trip. We didn't

book at the same time but turned out we are on the same tour;)

good ideas everyone! I think the anxiety has passed since hitting the "COMPLETE BOOKING" button and I am 100% excited now. I've chatted w/ a few on the roll call and couldn't be more happy! :)

AWESOME:D.......glad to read this and hope you have a fantastic

cruise:)

I am a very independent person who feels very comfortable traveling within the US alone, but something about a being alone at sea in a foreign country is making me anxious! I know "I've got this" but any advice is appreciated! I'm soooo excited!

What ports are you stopping at? Maybe we can reassure you.

The total population of many of these islands is smaller than most American cities. Living in the inner city area of a major metro area, I can say that I have a greater sense of safety walking four or five miles out in the islands than I do walking a mile from my own front door. (In fact last year somebody got shot twenty feet from my front door. Freak occurrence, but if it happened on an island everybody would be saying "the cruise ships should pull out").

The total population of many of these islands is smaller than most American cities.

Well, the population of Grand Turk is less than 5,000 people and there are already single ships carrying more people (including crew).

It is getting to the point that for the smaller islands that the new mega-ships (if a couple of them come in at the same time) can bring in enough people that there are more ship people around than the locals themselves.

Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Caribbean_island_countries_by_population

Anywhere below 100,000 will have to notice the effects of a mega ship coming in to dock.

good ideas everyone! I think the anxiety has passed since hitting the "COMPLETE BOOKING" button and I am 100% excited now. I've chatted w/ a few on the roll call and couldn't be more happy! :)

Good for you! I am quite sure you will have an awesome time!

Glad you are over your anxiety about going solo.

I've done two solo trips already and loved them both. Just joined the roll call for another upcoming one in April, introduced myself, said I was (happily) traveling solo, and the next time I logged in I had several offers from people to join them for dinner the night before the cruise leaves, and two different excursions in Cozumel.

I've found people are more than willing to extend and invitation for a drink or dinner if you are solo, usually its that 'more the merrier' mentality. :D

Coming from someone a little bit more on the shy side, just put yourself out there and you will be pleasantly surprised what happens.

Happy sails

• 3 weeks later...

I know one person mentioned eating with the same table each night. I cruise solo and disagree. I find that when I get to the dining room I request to be alone or state that I will happily sit with other singles/solos. Works out much better than having to sit with couples or others that are traveling together. Mix it up. Your chances of meeting more people are better.

Do not be afraid, but do not wander off either. I would be very cautious of doing things alone in certain countries. Stick with excursions or if you find others to do shore things with for sure.

I was in Greece and saw purse snatching. I would not want to wander around Greece by myself. Yet, I felt very comfortable in Turkey. Turkey was wonderful!

• 2 weeks later...

just booked my 1st cruise and 1st solo cruise...SOOOOO excited. I'm not the most outgoing person in large groups so dining might be a challenge but I'm up for the task!

11/28-12/7 Celebrity Constellation Eastern Caribbean

You'll be fine! Just remember that you're by yourself and that means you set the tone of what you want to do on your time.:) Same advice regarding traveling in the US, also applies to cruising as well - its not big difference between the two except mode of transport (cruise ship).

Since you're on the Epic, it'll be even more easier to find dinner or show mates since there's also other solo travelers on the ship as well. If you can't find people on the CC roll call to you join, you'll definitely find them at NCL solo meet which they hosted every night. Look at dailies on board regarding when it is scheduled, it usually at around 5-7pm. Have on your cruise!!:D

just booked my 1st cruise and 1st solo cruise...SOOOOO excited. I'm not the most outgoing person in large groups so dining might be a challenge but I'm up for the task!

11/28-12/7 Celebrity Constellation Eastern Caribbean

You'll be fine :) Just remember you can be as social or not social as you choose! Do the things you want to do, and you'll invariably be with people that like doing the same. (Same goes with the roll call - check it out and participate as much or as little as you want.)

Enjoy!

Ive booked my first solo cruise for 4/19... I have been on tons of cruises but this is the first time going it alone. Its just a little getaway for 4days but I am a wife and mom of 2, the idea of not having to worry about anyone but me and do what I want, when sounds like heaven! 40 days till serenity!!!!

You'll be fine :) Just remember you can be as social or not social as you choose! Do the things you want to do, and you'll invariably be with people that like doing the same. (Same goes with the roll call - check it out and participate as much or as little as you want.)

Enjoy!

good advice :)