Getting to Rome, but not by train?

potterduck

Any suggestions for an excursion into Rome, but not by train? We would prefer a coach/minibus.

As we only want to see the Vatican museums and the Coliseum (rest of the day will be spent meandering) a full guided tour seems unnecessary.

The ship transfer comes in at about £60, so for 5/6 works out too excessive

There are many recommendations for tour venders just down the board, including the wonderful Rome in Limo. If it can be done, Jany, the person you will likely be communicating with, with arrange it.

Regular train, not thru the cruise line, is something like 12 or 15 euros per person each way.

Edited by CruiserBruce

There are many recommendations for tour venders just down the board, including the wonderful Rome in Limo. If it can be done, Jany, the person you will likely be communicating with, with arrange it.

Regular train, not thru the cruise line, is something like 12 or 15 euros per person each way.

Even with 5/6 people, won't Rome in Limo cost more than the cruise transfer that the poster thinks is expensive?? Last time I saw prices listed, they were running 500-600 euro for a day in Rome....

They might do a half day if not so busy, which would be equivalent or close (with the convenience of a private vehicle).

RIL also offers taxi type service I think, so that might work.

Even with 5/6 people, won't Rome in Limo cost more than the cruise transfer that the poster thinks is expensive?? Last time I saw prices listed, they were running 500-600 euro for a day in Rome....

If they are doing a full day excursion, to Rome, and back to the ship, yes. If they want a ride into Rome, it will be cheaper with someone like Rome in Limo.

They need to talk to Rome in Limo about the concept of a ride in, and a latter pickup to return if that is all they want.

If they are doing a full day excursion, to Rome, and back to the ship, yes. If they want a ride into Rome, it will be cheaper with someone like Rome in Limo.

They need to talk to Rome in Limo about the concept of a ride in, and a latter pickup to return if that is all they want.

Well according to the RIL site, a one-way transfer for 6 people is still 190 euro. Roundtrip, that's ~63 euro per person. I think the poster is looking for something less pricey, like a non ship-sponsored motorcoach or bus transfer into Rome.

But....the OP can come back and clarify.

Edited by cruisemom42

like a non ship-sponsored motorcoach or bus transfer into Rome.

But....the OP can come back and clarify.

That is just the sort of thing I'm thinking of. I'm just a bit nervous about a train being cancelled and missing the ship :eek:

Frankly I'd be more concerned about a bus not making it back on time vs. the train, because there are more things that could go wrong and impact a road trip.

However, if you're more comfortable with a bus there is one run by Smart Cruise Tours: http://www.smartcruisetours.com/index.php/airport-transfers?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=12&product_id=103

It's only €20 per person but it takes a lot longer to get to Rome and back (it stops at the airport along the way).

Especially if you're not planning on staying in Rome the entire day, the train is a better choice. Even if one train is cancelled, there are several each hour so there would be plenty of fallback options.

If your concern is about strikes, they are planned and announced well in advance so you'd be able to make other plans.

The BIRG ticket for €12 per person is the best deal; it's a faster trip by train vs. the bus and it costs less. Plus, this is a round trip fare and mass transit in Rome is included in the fare.

Edited by euro cruiser

Frankly I'd be more concerned about a bus not making it back on time vs. the train, because there are more things that could go wrong and impact a road trip.

However, if you're more comfortable with a bus there is one run by Smart Cruise Tours: http://www.smartcruisetours.com/index.php/airport-transfers?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=12&product_id=103

It's only €20 per person but it takes a lot longer to get to Rome and back (it stops at the airport along the way).

Especially if you're not planning on staying in Rome the entire day, the train is a better choice. Even if one train is cancelled, there are several each hour so there would be plenty of fallback options.

If your concern is about strikes, they are planned and announced well in advance so you'd be able to make other plans.

The BIRG ticket for €12 per person is the best deal; it's a faster trip by train vs. the bus and it costs less. Plus, this is a round trip fare and mass transit in Rome is included in the fare.

Agree totally. It is not possible to remove all risks.

Yes, train strikes do happen, but they are almost always announced well in advance and would likely affect your morning train as well as an afternoon train. Most strikes are for the full day, so the odds of being stuck in Rome due to a strike is remote. If this happens, the Ole Plan B would be to grab a taxi from Rome back to the port. Driving into Rome in the morning (and back in the afternoon) means dealing with rush hour traffic. Trains might get a bit crowded, but they are not impacted by street traffic :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

You have to realize OP that Rome is quite a distance from Civitavecchia (even though it's called the Rome Port). Nothing is going to be cheap. I just checked Viator dot com and they do have a one way transfer for $33.17 pp, but then you'd have that same $33.17 pp back to the ship.

I live about 30 miles from Los Angeles International Airport and usually pay $50 for one way transfer to the airport in a small 7 passenger van, so was not terribly upset that our private transfer in Rome cost us 30 EUR pp. But again, that was just one way.

The train is really the only CHEAP method. Good luck and have a great trip!