Specialty Dining with Toddlers

misseskb

Has anyone taken there little one in a specialty restaurant? I would like to dine in Chops on Freedom of the Seas on our anniversary. The plan is to have my 22 month old in the day care facility but I am not 100% sure she would stay so we may have to take her with us. What has your experiences been? TIA.

My grandson who is 6 currently, I started taking on cruises when he was just an infant of 22 months. Did specialty restaurants on Allure twice, Oasis once, Emerald Princess, Brilliance of the Seas, Oceania Riviera, and last Royal Princess. For a while RCCL had rule children only betwen 6pm and 7pm in specialty restaurants but I understand that is now gone. Bottom line, it always went very well and he enjoyed each specialty restaurant big time as well as behaved himself.

Bottom line, go for it!

I'm not so sure if RCI has in fact changed their policy on dining times with children under a certain age in their specialty restaurants.

We just returned from a family cruise (the first for our 17 month old grandson) on RCI Radiance..Their nursery and staff was "Amazing" we ended up using it more than we thought we would...he loved going there...I think you too might be very surprised at the care they offer...enjoy !!

RCI has recently introduced a kids menu at Chops. I believe the charge is $8 per child. Having said that, only you know whether your child can sit quietly through a 2 hour dinner. DGS, no problem, DGD, no freakin way. It would be a shame for someone to have to bail on a pricey dinner to take a fussy child back to the cabin.

RCI has recently introduced a kids menu at Chops. I believe the charge is $8 per child. Having said that, only you know whether your child can sit quietly through a 2 hour dinner. DGS, no problem, DGD, no freakin way. It would be a shame for someone to have to bail on a pricey dinner to take a fussy child back to the cabin.

I agree 100%. We've sailed twice with our first DGS, who is now 4, when he was 14 months and again when he was 26 months. He is always perfectly behaved during dinners of two and even three hours. Our second DGS will be 14 months on our cruise later this month and I cannot imagine him being confined at a table for anywhere near that amount of time. He would NOT be happy and would let you know at the top of his lungs.

• 2 months later...

I took my oldest daughter when she was a tot. We took her several times. Not a problem. My youngest, currently a tot.....not sure about her. She is not as consistent at meal time. I'll play it by ear. If she is having a good day, I may chance it. Otherwise I may have to pass.

RCI will generally let kids under 13 years old in at the very EARLIEST seating....so if that's the time you've booked, it should be no problem. The later dining times, they aren't so flexible...

Not true - there is no longer a time restriction for children in specialty restaurants.

If your child can SIT in a chair for a two hour dinner, it won't be a problem. But what generally happens for a lot of toddlers is they get antsy, they want to walk around the tables, sometimes all the tables, or they want to start crawling under the table. That's not really something that should happen in any specialty restaurant.