skarletohara

We'll be on the Sapphire southbound cruise, and then will spend two

nights in Vancouver, B.C.

My question is, where shall we get some Canadian dollars? Can we exchange

U.S. dollars while aboard the cruiseship just so that we have some Canadian

currency for a taxicab? I also read that we can get currency at Canada

place out of some vending machine?

We'll be arriving on Saturday, and it is also a holiday in Canada isn't it,

July 1? So I know the banks won't be open either.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me in this regard.

Or is the U.S. dollar widely accepted in B.C.? Oh, or do you think I should

just go to American Express or someplace down here in the states and

get a bit of CND currency?

Thanks

Just a question . . . would it be okay if we used Canadian $$ to pay a cab in the US? Not!! they would look at us like we were crazy.

That being said you could get money from the ATM or the cruise ship but wouldn't it just be as easy to get some money exchanged at home and have one less thing to worry about.

I always purchase Canadian currency at my main Wells Fargo bank. The exchange rate has actually been pretty good when I have checked. I usually feel better about getting the money before I leave for Canada.

I ordered both Canadian cash and Traveler's Checks from American Express. They overnighted it but the delivery man just dropped it beside the door, rang the bell and ran so if you do this, be sure and have someone at the delivery point or have it "must have signature" for delivery!

Unlike the US, Canada is a VERY friendly place and does not look at you as if you are handing over Monopoly money when you want to pay in USD!

So feel free to pay in any currency you like and not get strange looks!

So I can simply use my ATM card in Canada just as I would anyplace in

the U.S.? I never even thought about that!

You can use an ATM card almost anywhere in the world. Be aware that the amount you are withdrawing is in Canadian funds, so you won't know exactly how much money in US dollars you are withdrawing until you check your bank statement.

So I can simply use my ATM card in Canada just as I would anyplace in

the U.S.? I never even thought about that!

YEP. But some places only have numbers or letters for the pin which require a conversion- knowing where they are on the key pad. So verify this. In Europe this is a must, not sure about Canada.

Hey OldCodger73 - you are living up to your screen name as the Canadian Government changed the name of our July 1st holiday from Dominion Day to Canada Day years ago!

Thanks for the information. I don't know whether to blame my lack of knowledge of the correct name on a senior moment or the fact that Canadian news almost gets zero play in the media here in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

All banks now charge a certain percent of the amount charged for the conversion.

If you have an account at Wells Fargo, there's no charge for obraining foreign money. Just order it well ahead.

They DO take US money everywhere, especially in BC.

You can get CAD currency at AAA.com if you're a member....just go to their site and click 'Financial' and then 'Foreign Currency.'

The minimum amount you can get is $300, and there's a $7 charge for 2-day delivery. Orders over $500 get free 2-day delivery.

I just looked in the Sunday Travel section and $1.00 Canadian is only worth $1.01 American now so I'm not going to bother getting Canadian money at all.

They very readily accept American money............and there's just not that much differnce in value (darn) right now:mad: .........

My Canadian friends are very happy, though.

You can get CAD currency at AAA.com if you're a member....just go to their site and click 'Financial' and then 'Foreign Currency.'

The minimum amount you can get is $300, and there's a $7 charge for 2-day delivery. Orders over $500 get free 2-day delivery.

Definitely check the exchange rate at AAA. Our local AAA has one of the worst exchange rates out there. I always go to Wells Fargo - much better exchange rate.

Well, thanks for THAT change in percentage; that makes picking up some CA currency worthwhile! I was pretty amazed to see only one penny difference.;)

Just a note that even though the dollar changes every day - sometimes the US dollar will only be worth 1.08 one day, and 1.11 the next, a lot of stores don't change thier rate daily . I have latley been going into stores that do have signs that state that they are taking the us dollar as the same as the CND dollars. so it is better to go to a Bank or ATM to get out canadian money.

That being said you could get money from the ATM or the cruise ship but wouldn't it just be as easy to get some money exchanged at home and have one less thing to worry about.

Joanne has it right. Just go to your bank & exchange the money (and if they don't have them in the bank, they'll get them for you).

-Monte

Archived