Struggling to make Trans Atlantic crossing arrangements.

Catho

This is slightly unrelated to cruises but...

Have you ever sought treatment for your fear of flying? Whether it be a course, clinical hypnotherapy or a support group?

Lots exist in our neck of the woods and it seems there are great some success stories. I am considering doing one myself so I do get the nervousness before and grand holiday I want to take (Desperate to go to Aus).

I am not sure why your "blood pressure is through the roof". Sometimes, we just can't find what we want.

If there was a profit for a cruise line in this type of cruise, they would do it. Obviously, there isn't.

Perhaps your family could come visit you. Or, you could try seeing a therapist to see if they could help you with this fear of flying problem? It couldn't hurt to give that a go.

Edited by 6rugrats

There are people who hate flying (like me). Maybe 20%. There are people who hate flying that much that they simply won't fly. Maybe 5%. There are people who hate flying that much but wouldn't mind sailing. 2% left.

I find it strange that literally millions of people would need to book an expensive luxury cruise to see their grandchildren, to visit Europe, whatever. In a former thread I asked about this and was told that I was simply born in the wrong age. I'm quite sure a lot of people are missing out on seeing the other side because they won't pay thousands of dollars just to get there.

Cunard apparently can offer really expensive, luxury "cruises" that have just one objective: to cross the Atlantic by ship, and also have a concierge, a butler, a spa, live music, sparkling wine, flowers, you name it. I really don't understand why there isn't a line that opens up a hamburger joint next to this 3 star restaurant, for people who are just hungry but can't or won't pay for flowers or a nightly turn-down service.

This is a bit off topic but we have a tale of woe to share about the QM2. A wealthy friend of ours took a longer cruise (over 40 days) on her last year. They booked the 2nd largest suite on the entire ship. My friend is a teetotaler and bought a soda card on the first day of the cruise. There were later sitting on their private suite deck when she went to the bar to get a coke. The bar tender (and a deck steward) told her that the soda card was no good on that private deck and she would have to go to one of the regular bars to get her free sodas. The steward also said that he was not permitted to get her the free sodas. Our friend was quite angry and immediately cancelled an even longer future QM2 cruise where they had again booked a very large suite. They will no longer cruise on the QM2...although they still cruise on the other Cunard ships.

This type of awful treatment is a far cry from the original "Queen" where the stewards never said no. In fact, there is a tale of a first class passenger deciding to test the staff and so he ordered an "Elephant Steak" as kind of a joke. But the waiter quickly responded, "would that be Indian or African!"

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

...Cunard apparently can offer really expensive, luxury "cruises" that have just one objective: to cross the Atlantic by ship, and also have a concierge, a butler, a spa, live music, sparkling wine, flowers, you name it. I really don't understand why there isn't a line that opens up a hamburger joint next to this 3 star restaurant, for people who are just hungry but can't or won't pay for flowers or a nightly turn-down service.

If the market is there somebody will service it.

Look up "Project Orient Limited" that is trying to get investors to build two new ships to operate 30-day service between the UK and Australia. One would think that plenty of people don't care to fly and would welcome this service. In the two years since it's been announced nothing has happened except for some basic concept drawings. As for Clive Palmer's retro transatlantic liner...I'll believe it if his actions match his words. (None of the Titanic II official media sites have been updated in almost a year.)

Edited by BlueRiband

This is a bit off topic but we have a tale of woe to share about the QM2. A wealthy friend of ours took a longer cruise (over 40 days) on her last year. They booked the 2nd largest suite on the entire ship. My friend is a teetotaler and bought a soda card on the first day of the cruise. There were later sitting on their private suite deck when she went to the bar to get a coke. The bar tender (and a deck steward) told her that the soda card was no good on that private deck and she would have to go to one of the regular bars to get her free sodas. The steward also said that he was not permitted to get her the free sodas. Our friend was quite angry and immediately cancelled an even longer future QM2 cruise where they had again booked a very large suite. They will no longer cruise on the QM2...although they still cruise on the other Cunard ships.
Since the "2nd largest suite" would have a bar stocked with complimentary liquor and soft drinks I have to wonder about this story.

Catho- there's also a Fred Olsen ship- Boudicca- leaving Liverpool for a round trip to Canada and back on Sept 6th, 16 nights, which I've just seen advertised for £1849 pp. That's the lowest price inside. Perhaps that can be combined with a QM2 TA? Or being met at the first Canadian stop, then catching the ship before she returns across the ocean?

All this would have to be agreed with Fred O before booking, and would only give you a few nights on Canadian soil, but it's another to think about.