Celebrity Solstice 2D Obstructed Balcony Question

wendycook22

I just booked a cruise with an obstructed balcony on deck 6, mid ship.

Any idea what is obstructing these balconies?

Thanks in advance.

The life boats are on deck 5 .Looking down from the balcony is the obstruction ;but ,there is no obstruction looking straight out , We usually book a 2D & get upgraded to a 2C .However ,I do get multiple bids from TAs on a special web site (can not post that name because of CC rules) .When we get the bids many times the TA has a group booking special & would have higher balcony cabin availability at even a lower price than a 2D booking .I have seen getting prices lower on a 1C & even 1Bs category balcony cabins .We alos get OBCs with these quotes & at times free trip insurance:D

Generally if you book a 2D & have sailed with Celebrity before you would get a upgrade to a 2C .

The life boats are on deck 5 .Looking down from the balcony is the obstruction ;but ,there is no obstruction looking straight out , We usually book a 2D & get upgraded to a 2C .However ,I do get multiple bids from TAs on a special web site (can not post that name because of CC rules) .When we get the bids many times the TA has a group booking special & would have higher balcony cabin availability at even a lower price than a 2D booking .I have seen getting prices lower on a 1C & even 1Bs category balcony cabins .We alos get OBCs with these quotes & at times free trip insurance:D

Generally if you book a 2D & have sailed with Celebrity before you would get a upgrade to a 2C .

Bear in mind it's harder to get the cabins with larger balconies in the 2c category as opposed to 2D. On one of my cruises I turned down the upgrade from 2d to 2c as there were no off the hump, on the slant, balconies available in that category, but there were in the 2D.

I have sailed with celebrity once, have an upcoming trip in November and this particular sailing I am speaking about in April 2016.

I booked through a second party site not directly with Celebrity, not sure if I would still get the upgrade, but it is registered on Celebrities site. How would i know if I end up with an upgrade?

I have sailed with celebrity once, have an upcoming trip in November and this particular sailing I am speaking about in April 2016.

I booked through a second party site not directly with Celebrity, not sure if I would still get the upgrade, but it is registered on Celebrities site. How would i know if I end up with an upgrade?

The Captain's Club upgrade you need to ask for when you make the booking. Did the travel agent ask you if you had a Captain's Club #? It's not automatic.

The Captain's Club upgrade you need to ask for when you make the booking. Did the travel agent ask you if you had a Captain's Club #? It's not automatic.

Yes she did ask me if I had the CC#. Maybe I will touch base with her as I did just book it.

Yes she did ask me if I had the CC#. Maybe I will touch base with her as I did just book it.

Keep in mind that the upgrade is only one category and the rooms are identical. The only real benefit, other than possibly a better location, is if you can upgrade to a room in that category that would have a larger balcony. If you post what cruise you are on I'd be happy to let you know if any of the larger balconies are available.

Keep in mind that the upgrade is only one category and the rooms are identical. The only real benefit, other than possibly a better location, is if you can upgrade to a room in that category that would have a larger balcony. If you post what cruise you are on I'd be happy to let you know if any of the larger balconies are available.

I am on the Celebrity Solstice leaving April 26 2016, out of Honolulu. We are on a middle ship 2D category. so the mid ship may be nice :)

I am on the Celebrity Solstice leaving April 26 2016, out of Honolulu. We are on a middle ship 2D category. so the mid ship may be nice :)

There are 4 2d's with larger balconies on that deck. They are 6207, 6209, 6208, 6210,. 6207 & 6208 are both available on your sailing. Unless you are in 09 or 10 I would move to one of the open ones.

There are no larger 2c's open on your sailing. I personally would take the larger balcony as opposed to the supposedly better location of the 2c.

We had a 2D cabin on our recent sailing 6206. The partial obstruction was a tender that came up to just below the balcony railing. It was not an issue and we were on board for 35 days. If your cabin is adjacent to a tender be aware of what you are wearing if the crew are carrying out maintenance on the boat and on tender days when the crew are likely to be crawling over the tender getting it ready.

I have yet to hear of anyone who complained about the "obstructed view".

There is a clip on You tube of cabin 6204 and balcony you may like to check out

Thanks everyone I have changed cabins to 6208 :)

Thanks for the advice!

That is the best choice. I forgot to mention that 6207 would be back & over from a smoking area.

I think you'll like your location and balcony.

There are 4 2d's with larger balconies on that deck. They are 6207, 6209, 6208, 6210,. 6207 & 6208 are both available on your sailing. Unless you are in 09 or 10 I would move to one of the open ones.

There are no larger 2c's open on your sailing. I personally would take the larger balcony as opposed to the supposedly better location of the 2c.

Bummer, we are in 6205 on Solstice from Sydney in March 2016, don't think we are allowed to change within the category in Australia. Would love 6207 if it has a larger balcony.

Bummer, we are in 6205 on Solstice from Sydney in March 2016, don't think we are allowed to change within the category in Australia. Would love 6207 if it has a larger balcony.

The difference in size from 6206 is not really significant enough to make a fuss over, that said its a good cabin to be in. Regarding an earlier comment about smoking, we never experienced any cigarette smoke at all coming up from Deck 5. Because we were at the aft end away from the doors most people probably stayed away from our part of the ship in fact I cant recall seeing any smokers on the outside landings on Deck 5. Most were either beside the pool on Deck 12 or beside the Sunset Bar on the Starboard side

The difference in size from 6206 is not really significant enough to make a fuss over, that said its a good cabin to be in. Regarding an earlier comment about smoking, we never experienced any cigarette smoke at all coming up from Deck 5. Because we were at the aft end away from the doors most people probably stayed away from our part of the ship in fact I cant recall seeing any smokers on the outside landings on Deck 5. Most were either beside the pool on Deck 12 or beside the Sunset Bar on the Starboard side

Where exactly on Deck 5 is the smoking area? Which side? Same side as 6206 or 6207? :confused:

Where exactly on Deck 5 is the smoking area? Which side? Same side as 6206 or 6207? :confused:

Well now you have me confused. I thought both sides were but if I am wrong then that probably explains why we were never troubled by smokers

Smoking section is Deck 5 port side.

Isn't it also basically midship. I don't think I've ever been to that area on the S Class as it's cigarette only.

I just booked a cruise with an obstructed balcony on deck 6, mid ship.

Any idea what is obstructing these balconies?

Thanks in advance.

Nothing is really blocking the view. The top of the life boat is in the way if you want to see the water brush up aginst the side of the ship when looking downward.

1775086016_cabin2.jpg.155e68ecbcac5625df520042472d3da3.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

• 7 months later...
I'm thinking of booking a 2D - the description says "Fully Obstructed" on deck 6. How fully obstructed would that be?

Here are two You tube clips of an obstructed balcony on a S class ship

We spent 35 days on the next door cabin on the SOlstice and it wasn't an issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYmXS1ovOWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYWRQw7FUXM

Edited by Beanb41