Need some help, planning for parents

CStorm

I'm not attending this trip but I've been to Hawaii twice. I chose POA for them to be able to see Hawaii without island hopping on a plane (which is what DH and I did). Both are in good shape. Mom won't get on a small boat. Below is a list of questions. All replies are greatly appreciated!

1. First stop, Maui, they are in port overnight. They want to do the Road to Hana. DH and I rented a car but they aren't comfortable with that. Any recommendation for a private tour so they aren't on a huge bus and can experience it on a smaller scale?

2. My mom doesn't swim but her husband loves snorkeling. She will sit on the shore and watch if there is a good place for them to do that. Any suggestions?

3. Hilo, they want to do Volcanoes National Park. Again, prefer a private tour if there is one.

4. Kona, I'm looking for suggestions.

5. Kauai, I have never been here but understand it's beautiful. They are here overnight as well. Thinking a luau and a helicopter ride. Anything they should do?

Again, all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Maui has a beach apparently that has snorkeling, Kannapali they could take a taxi.

Kauai , we did the Fern Grotto tour, here is a link, it is a boat, but goes slowly along a channel, we liked it . http://www.govisithawaii.com/2013/10/29/kauais-fern-grotto/

Kona, We are thinking of trying Kapaluu for snorkeling, there is also a hop on hop off trolly there and in Hilo...

http://www.clarkshawaiitours.com/ and http://www.hop-onhop-offhilobus.com/

We did the ship tour to VNP, it was good.

Hope this helps or someone else has more ideas:)

I think the Road to Hana is overrated, unless you have MANY days there. The drive isn't bad, but it does take ALL DAY LONG....so that's lots of time they could use to do other things. Most older folks don't give a fig about beaches, so I would never recommend a beach day for those over 70. If hubby likes to snorkel, and she doesn't mind sitting on a beach, then ALL beaches are public....get a guidebook to find the right snorkel spot! The surf in Hawaii can be rough...I did NOT find snorkeling to be fun there....too rough for me!

Get a guidebook and GIVE IT TO THEM! Let THEM plan their time!

I'm not attending this trip but I've been to Hawaii twice. I chose POA for them to be able to see Hawaii without island hopping on a plane (which is what DH and I did). Both are in good shape. Mom won't get on a small boat. Below is a list of questions. All replies are greatly appreciated!

1. First stop, Maui, they are in port overnight. They want to do the Road to Hana. DH and I rented a car but they aren't comfortable with that. Any recommendation for a private tour so they aren't on a huge bus and can experience it on a smaller scale?

2. My mom doesn't swim but her husband loves snorkeling. She will sit on the shore and watch if there is a good place for them to do that. Any suggestions?

3. Hilo, they want to do Volcanoes National Park. Again, prefer a private tour if there is one.

4. Kona, I'm looking for suggestions.

5. Kauai, I have never been here but understand it's beautiful. They are here overnight as well. Thinking a luau and a helicopter ride. Anything they should do?

Again, all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Re Hilo and Kona, there is an excellent private tour, Mary Lou's Big Island Tours, for Hilo, takes you into VNP, the Lava Tube, etc, Rainbow Falls and several other stops. Semi customizable depending on interests. About $75 when we took it a few years ago. Every tour is family conducted by Mary Lou, her husband Ken, or son Kyle. Each van takes only @ 6 passengers, so book early. Highly rated on Trip Advisor. We also enjoyed a land tour with son Kyle in Kona. Kona is an excellent place for snorkeling, and son Kyle offers a small group or private snorkeling tour off the shore which may offer some other stops as well, I'm not sure. He does go into the water with you. They seem pretty flexible and could probably put together something in Kona to keep Mom and hubby both happy.

I think the Road to Hana is overrated, unless you have MANY days there. The drive isn't bad, but it does take ALL DAY LONG....so that's lots of time they could use to do other things. Most older folks don't give a fig about beaches, so I would never recommend a beach day for those over 70. If hubby likes to snorkel, and she doesn't mind sitting on a beach, then ALL beaches are public....get a guidebook to find the right snorkel spot! The surf in Hawaii can be rough...I did NOT find snorkeling to be fun there....too rough for me!

Get a guidebook and GIVE IT TO THEM! Let THEM plan their time!

I guess I should have been more specific. They have read a guidebook. They want to do the Road to Hana. I'm looking for some help booking them with private tours instead of through the cruise ship.

I guess I should have been more specific. They have read a guidebook. They want to do the Road to Hana. I'm looking for some help booking them with private tours instead of through the cruise ship.

Take a look at Valley Isle. It's a bus but they limit it to 12 passengers.

https://www.tourmaui.com/tours/cruise-ship-excursion/

What time of year is the cruise? Ocean conditions can vary widely. Their best bet for snorkeling would be a boat tour because the operators know the best locations/conditions on a given day. Maui has great shore snorkeling when the conditions are right but you will not know those conditions. Also the best snorkeling beaches are a far drive from the port.

Black rock at Kaanapali Beach is a popular snorkeling spot but not for beginners and can be crowded. However, it is a nice beach to spend the day at if they want a beach day.

http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com/kaanapali_beach.html

Edited by Beachiekeen

For snorkeling, I do enjoy Kapalua beach in Kailua-Kona. It's a small cove with a pebble beach. It has some covered picnic tables if you want shade. Not pretty for coral, but always good fish viewing and I have always seen at least one turtle swimming around. It's where I go my first day on the Big Island to get my snorkel groove back; then I head up to Hapuna or Mauna Kea to stay and snorkel. Those two place do have tides and will pull, so you do have to be mindful of that.

For snorkeling, I do enjoy Kapalua beach in Kailua-Kona. It's a small cove with a pebble beach. It has some covered picnic tables if you want shade. Not pretty for coral, but always good fish viewing and I have always seen at least one turtle swimming around. It's where I go my first day on the Big Island to get my snorkel groove back; then I head up to Hapuna or Mauna Kea to stay and snorkel. Those two place do have tides and will pull, so you do have to be mindful of that.

Believe you mean Kapalu'u beach. Kapalua is on Maui.

• 2 weeks later...

Best spot to snorkel on The Big Island is Captain Cook's but you would need to take a small boat to get there (you can hike but it's brutal). There are a lot of private cruises that go there.

There is also a lovely spot call Place of Refuge. It has a great cultural center and then around the corner is a fantastic snorkeling spot call Two Step. There isn't a true beach but smooth black lava rock that is lovely to just sit on and watch the bay. Have seen dolphins, turtles and a myriad of fish and coral here.

Best spot to snorkel on The Big Island is Captain Cook's but you would need to take a small boat to get there (you can hike but it's brutal). There are a lot of private cruises that go there.

There is also a lovely spot call Place of Refuge. It has a great cultural center and then around the corner is a fantastic snorkeling spot call Two Step. There isn't a true beach but smooth black lava rock that is lovely to just sit on and watch the bay. Have seen dolphins, turtles and a myriad of fish and coral here.

The "two step" spot is the one I referenced in my post above which Mary Lou's Big Island Tours now offers as a private excursion out of Kona through son Kyle.

We did the bay snorkel by Captain Cook's Monument ( Kealakekua Bay ) with Fair Winds. They have two different boats, be sure to book the one which goes to Kealakekua. We were on the POA, took a taxi from near the tender dock, and it was about a 20 min ride. @$30 each way as I recall. Got there in plenty of time and returned with enough time to do a bit of shopping. Had the taxi drop us at the Farmers Market, and we shopped our way back to the ship. I'd ask the taxi for their card, and ask them to meet you back in the tours parking lot at the return time. There are supposed to be nearby hotels with taxi stands if any issues after the tour.

The Fair Winds is a double decker, shaded and very comfortable for someone who does not want to snorkel, and they cook a great lunch on board. The water is crystal and shallow, they provide noodles and those glass viewing boards if you don't want to use a snorkel and mask and just enjoy the water.

Edited by punkincc