Luau Recommendations ....

ajtraveler66

Will be with a party of four on Norwegian Hawaiian cruise this July. We will be staying overnight on both Kauai and Maui. And, of course, we will have access to Oahu coming and going.

Only one of us has never been on a Luau and this person wants the experience. I have been on two--both on Oahu--and one was far superior to the other (not going to mention names...don't want to influence your responses).

That being said...what Luau would you recommend on either of these three islands?

I've only been to one luau, but it was so good, I can't imagine a better one.

We went to the Chief's Luau in Sea Life Park when we were staying in Waikiki, pre-cruise. Drinks were good, food was great, entertainment was fabulous. For sure there were less than 200 people there. There were some pre-dinner activities as well. The Chief welcomed us all at the beginning and personally said goodbye to everyone as they were leaving. We felt like we'd been invited to a family party. It was so much fun.

They also offer transportation, so we walked to a nearby hotel to be picked up and dropped off.

We've lived on Oahu and spent significant time on Maui and Kauai. Our favorite luau is Smith's Family Luau on Kauai. It has a lovely tropical garden setting, is fairly priced and a superb luau experience.

https://www.smithskauai.com/garden-luau/

(A cultural note for you: Families traditionally celebrate a child's first birthday with a big luau. The parents will save for months in order to put on this special party. Often children are not formally named until their first birthday, at their luau. The "baby luau" combines the best of Hawaiian tradition and family.)

Edited by PNW Traveler

You said you will be going to Oahu.

We booked Germaine's Luau and it was fantastic. It was a ship's tour. They picked us up at the pier and brought us back to the pier.

It was outstanding in all ways. We booked seats in the front--can't remember what it's called.

I was Face Timing my 3 year old granddaughter who was very upset we were gone so long, and the Maori dancers talked to her on my phone.

That is my only experience with a luau. I also had thought about Smith's luau on Kauai.

Patti

Germaine's was one of the two that I have been to on Oahu. I concur. It was WONDERFUL. The other one I went to on Oahu...not so much. [Won't give the name of the one I didn't like].

I would do Germaine's again....but since we will be overnight in Kauai and Maui, I was wondering if there were equally good ones there.

You said you will be going to Oahu.

We booked Germaine's Luau and it was fantastic. It was a ship's tour. They picked us up at the pier and brought us back to the pier.

It was outstanding in all ways. We booked seats in the front--can't remember what it's called.

I was Face Timing my 3 year old granddaughter who was very upset we were gone so long, and the Maori dancers talked to her on my phone.

That is my only experience with a luau. I also had thought about Smith's luau on Kauai.

Patti

Yes......Germaine's is fantastic. I would do it again...... But since we are overnight in Kauai and Maui....was wondering if there was one equally as good there.

I have the same Q about which one to book.

We want to go to one in Oahu before we board the cruise. Too much to do on the other islands & hate paying for food twice.

Anyway, on TripAdvisor everyone recommends the luau at Polynesian Cultural Center. But they have so many different packages I am having a hard time narrowing it down. Does anybody here have an insight?

I have the same Q about which one to book.

We want to go to one in Oahu before we board the cruise. Too much to do on the other islands & hate paying for food twice.

Anyway, on TripAdvisor everyone recommends the luau at Polynesian Cultural Center. But they have so many different packages I am having a hard time narrowing it down. Does anybody here have an insight?

We are looking at going to the Paradise Cove Luau in Waikiki and they have pretty good recent reviews on Trip Advisor.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g60654-d617345-Reviews-Paradise_Cove_Luau-Kapolei_Oahu_Hawaii.html

For those who suggest Germaines... is it accessable for someone who uses a walker??

The ship's Germaine's tour starts with a bus ride from the street right outside the cruise area.

The bus has several steps.

At the luau site you get off in a dirt driveway, but I would say it is walker friendly.

The seating is in sand. That may be a problem if someone cannot let loose of their walker to lift/push through the sand.

There is a shop, drink area, and restrooms, which have steps.

I would Google the Germaine's website. They have photos. I am not good at trying to put photos here. Sorry. :o

Patti

Will be with a party of four on Norwegian Hawaiian cruise this July. We will be staying overnight on both Kauai and Maui. And, of course, we will have access to Oahu coming and going.

Only one of us has never been on a Luau and this person wants the experience. I have been on two--both on Oahu--and one was far superior to the other (not going to mention names...don't want to influence your responses).

That being said...what Luau would you recommend on either of these three islands?

Did you see the movie "The Descendants" with George Clooney? He hangs out at the Tahiti Nui bar up north on Kauai. Don't know if it's still happening but they used to do a family luau - terrific. Also try to find local high school fundraiser luaus. On the tourist side of this: try Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu, Hilton on Hawaii, Smith's of Hyatt Regency on Kauai.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums