Naples city

Trixie21

We are stopping at Naples on our harmony of the seas cruise this summer. We have already done Pompeii a couple of times and have stayed in sorrento and toured the amalfi coast - and feel this is best done while staying in the area and not as a shore excursion. So I wondered about Naples city itself which I know very little about. Anyone any thoughts or suggestions?

There is lots to in Naples, most of it within walking distance of the cruise port. It's an excellent port for wandering on your own.

You might take a look at this booklet from the ArteCard folks. The card may or may not make sense for you but the booklet is great, like a small guide book on line: http://www.campaniartecard.it/pdf/Campania_artecard_Guida_Napoli.pdf

If you haven't visited the Naples Archeological Museum previously, I can highly recommend it. Most of the best pieces salvaged from Pompeii, Herculaneum and other nearby sites can be viewed there, including an incredible collection of frescoes and art from the Villa dei Papyri in Herculaneum.

It's definitely worth spending a couple of hours there.

Naples is great. Last summer, we walked across the square in front of the port and took the subway from Municipali to Garibaldi and walked up Via Tribunali, stopping at Pioneering Monte della Misericordiae http://www.napoliunplugged.com/location/pio-monte-della-misericordia to see a Caravaggio, then on to see the Veiled Christ at Museo Sansevero before completing the circuit down Via Toledo back to the port. We asked several people for directions and all were very helpful. Need to go back to complete the circuit 'cos the heat beat me in July.

I am on the Eurodam in May, do ships still dock near the centre of town within walking distance of the metro station ? If so what is the stop fore Herculaneum ? Thanks in advance Alan

Ships still dock in the same area. You would take the Circumvesuviana (local train line) to Herculaneum. (There is a metro station near the port now, but probably easier to take the tram to Porta Nolana station to catch the train. Porta Nolana is the origin point, so your odds of getting a seat are better.

The stop for Herculaneum is Ercolano Scavi.

There is lots to in Naples, most of it within walking distance of the cruise port. It's an excellent port for wandering on your own.

You might take a look at this booklet from the ArteCard folks. The card may or may not make sense for you but the booklet is great, like a small guide book on line: http://www.campaniartecard.it/pdf/Campania_artecard_Guida_Napoli.pdf

HELLO EURO CRUISER... This might seem like a strange request but I think back in 2010 I received some great advise from you regarding step by step (with pictures) of how to do Rome on your own....I need this info again for a friend and would love chatting with you...can you shoot me an email so we can chat again...ecillef@yahoo.com...thanks