Does Palancar allow outside food?

nikicole

I'm working on our budget and wondering if outside food is allowed inside Palacar Beach? If not, are there good spots to stop and enjoy the sand and surf with a picnic lunch, coming from Puerta Maya?

None of the beach clubs on Coz allow outside food/drinks -- that's their business! Would you think to bring outside foo/drinks to a restaurant in the US? :confused:

You cannot bring food off the ship - only bottled water - so your picnic lunch would require a separate trip to a local store for supplies. If you want to save $$ eat before you leave the ship, choose a place that is closer to the piers to minimize cab fare (the Money Bar is only a $10 cab ride away for up to 4 in the cab), and keep your purchases down to a few drinks and maybe some nachos.

None of the beach clubs on Coz allow outside food/drinks -- that's their business! Would you think to bring outside foo/drinks to a restaurant in the US? :confused:

You cannot bring food off the ship - only bottled water - so your picnic lunch would require a separate trip to a local store for supplies. If you want to save $$ eat before you leave the ship, choose a place that is closer to the piers to minimize cab fare (the Money Bar is only a $10 cab ride away for up to 4 in the cab), and keep your purchases down to a few drinks and maybe some nachos.

My thoughts exactly. Why bother going to the grocery store to plan a picnic? The Money Bar has the most fabulous nachos and one plate is a great snack (lunch) for two. There is no entrance fee and if you drink a beer or two you can use a lounge chair for free. Very easy on the budget.

My thoughts exactly. Why bother going to the grocery store to plan a picnic? The Money Bar has the most fabulous nachos and one plate is a great snack (lunch) for two. There is no entrance fee and if you drink a beer or two you can use a lounge chair for free. Very easy on the budget.

From another thread, the OP has three kids (9,7 and 3).

From another thread, the OP has three kids (9,7 and 3).

Well Money bar may not be the best idea for a family with young kids, but I still suggest the easiest way to save is to eat on the ship before heading to the beach. Paradise Beach or the non-AI side of Mr. Sanchos would be better options for families with young kids, although they will bug the OP to pay extra for the water toys.

Thanks, I didn't know exactly how the beaches in Cozumel worked. Never been there before. We have 3 children (ages 3, 7, and 9) so we'll just stick with Palancar and buy their food. Might stop by Money Bar for a quick snorkel.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, I didn't know exactly how the beaches in Cozumel worked. Never been there before. We have 3 children (ages 3, 7, and 9) so we'll just stick with Palancar and buy their food. Might stop by Money Bar for a quick snorkel.

You CAN take packaged food (cereal, muffins, etc) off the ship. We do it every time. Have been to Palancar a dozen times and have always brought in a few snacks as described above. No one has ever said anything to us. However we always buy a few drinks and either snacks or lunch depending on how hungry we are. The prices at Palancar are reasonable but the taxi ride from Puerta Maya pier was $25 each way last summer for 4 people.

We were there with our kids last week. We brought some outside food for snacks (cookies, fruit snacks). We ordered lunch, but be warned if you want a lounger with umbrellas they charge $10(we misunderstood them and thought it was $30 for 2 loungers and an umbrella). We paid the cab fare.... there were 10 of us and it cost us 140 roundtrip. We wished we had rented a car through hotwire. In the past with gas it has only cost us $35 for a compact car. Since we were traveling with kids we didn't want to mess with the car rental. I wish we had done it since it would have saved us $70. For your smaller kids we found it easier to use swim goggles since the snorkel masks were too big. Bring sand toys.

We were there with our kids last week. We brought some outside food for snacks (cookies, fruit snacks). We ordered lunch, but be warned if you want a lounger with umbrellas they charge $10(we misunderstood them and thought it was $30 for 2 loungers and an umbrella). We paid the cab fare.... there were 10 of us and it cost us 140 roundtrip. We wished we had rented a car through hotwire. In the past with gas it has only cost us $35 for a compact car. Since we were traveling with kids we didn't want to mess with the car rental. I wish we had done it since it would have saved us $70. For your smaller kids we found it easier to use swim goggles since the snorkel masks were too big. Bring sand toys.

$30 sounds rather a lot compared to most places in the Caribbean - how much did you actually pay for two loungers and an umbrella, if you don't mind me asking? We have only ever taken a table and chairs for free since we have never stayed for more than a couple if hours.

Edited by c-leg5

You CAN take packaged food (cereal, muffins, etc) off the ship. We do it every time. Have been to Palancar a dozen times and have always brought in a few snacks as described above. No one has ever said anything to us. However we always buy a few drinks and either snacks or lunch depending on how hungry we are. The prices at Palancar are reasonable but the taxi ride from Puerta Maya pier was $25 each way last summer for 4 people.

We just visited Cozumel and at the International terminal. There was a dog sniffing all bags. I also saw a huge bag full of food that was being thrown away.

You may have in the past, but I wouldn't count on it in the future.

The dogs are looking for fruit and open food such as sandwiches. Prepackaged-factory sealed food such as cereal, crackers, and chips are allowed.

They are looking for anything they can smell. It is then up to the handlers as to what they will allow.

$30 sounds rather a lot compared to most places in the Caribbean - how much did you actually pay for two loungers and an umbrella, if you don't mind me asking? We have only ever taken a table and chairs for free since we have never stayed for more than a couple if hours.

It was $10. We had misunderstood them and thought it was $30. When we figured that out all of the chairs and umbrellas were gone.

It was $10. We had misunderstood them and thought it was $30. When we figured that out all of the chairs and umbrellas were gone.

Thanks for the clarification.

Also, there seems to have been a lot of discussion recently about taxi fares to Palancar. Did you end up with two taxis each way for a group that size, or did one mini van hold that many people?