Tipping the driver for private shuttle service

JudithLynne

We have booked a private car (sedan) for two from LAX to San Pedro for our next cruise. We have not done this previously, but rather have used Super Shuttle. I booked with ExecuCar based on recommendations from CC. I could have added the tip of 18-20% on the reservation form but chose not to do that. I think that sounds high, but I admit that I am not knowledgeable in this area.

I am hoping to hear from others that have used private shuttles, autos, etc. on what is the recommended amount to tip? We will have two pieces of luggage.

Thanks for any info.....

Judith

Edited by JudithLynne

I agree on Execucar or any "limo" type service.

Shared van tipping sort of frosts me. If you pay in advance online, the websites gently press you to prepay tip. Once on board, the drivers almost always try to collect tips in the first 10 minutes. I see tips as being a post-service gratuity that I can vary based on the experience, and I reduce the tip for drivers who are aggressive about tip prepayment.

Uber is in a state of flux....the official corporate position is no tipping. However the individual drivers increasingly expect tips (which I don't mind). I had one excellent driver who asked to *not* be tipped, but to provide a review instead, which I did.

At least in SoCal, I see shared vans being replaced by other types of service unless they really change their attitudes and fares.

Edited by kenish

So it looks like your rate is $91.00, using the rate finder on their website. Is this correct? If so, then an appropriate tip at 15% would be $13.65, 18% is $16.38, 20% is 18.20. Tipping is purely personal and at your discretion but I wouldn't say you need to be overly concerned about this. Personally, we would round up and probably tip the driver $20.00 cash.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Edited by Langley Cruisers

You think it's a great service, and you think 15-20% is too much of a tip?

No, she actually said this:

...I could have added the tip of 18-20% on the reservation form but chose not to do that. I think that sounds high, but I admit that I am not knowledgeable in this area.

I am hoping to hear from others that have used private shuttles, autos, etc. on what is the recommended amount to tip?...

I read OP's question to ask how much, not that it was "too much".

OP, in light of the amount you were quoted, perhaps $15.00 cash tip would be in order but like I said previously, it is up to you. :)

I use excexucar often.

I would do as CruiserBruce said; 15% to 20%.

But just as I do in a restaurant I don't make the decision until the end of the ride. If driver is late, rude, etc. I will tip less and if driver is good I will tip around 15% and if great then 20%.

Don't overthink this.

Keith

I use excexucar often.

I would do as CruiserBruce said; 15% to 20%.

But just as I do in a restaurant I don't make the decision until the end of the ride. If driver is late, rude, etc. I will tip less and if driver is good I will tip around 15% and if great then 20%.

Don't overthink this.

Keith

We use ExecuCar Business Express, which is a private SUV service for $62. I put part of the tip on when I reserve the car and then, like Keith says, I give a cash tip depending on the service. The total tip is never less than 18%.