Hilton Marina - Ft. Lauderdale

I've made reservations that can be cancelled w/ no penalty for a two night pre-cruise stay. I've heard the towers are best for viewing the ships & the Water Taxi has a stop. Two good things. I've also heard that the rooms are somewhat outdated or blah but the staff is above average. All things equalled it doesn't sound to0 bad of a place. Is there more to consider though?

To have the best adntage of viewing the Cruise Ships, can anyone offer me the best floor, side of hotel, or perhaps even a room number?

We stayed for two nights in a tower room on floor 12 and had great views of the port terminal.

On talking to some people on the same cruise as us they did not pay for the tower rooms and were disappointed in the standard of room quality in the other part of the builing. Best to avoid these .

Still not a standard Hilton in my opinion but not bad at all.

Scotslizzy

We have stayed there twice in the last year. It is true, the place needs a make-over especially in the lobby area. The rooms are OK....but it's obviously an older hotel. I booked through Expedia and we were upgraded to a tower room as we were there for four days last April (could not get a flight home from a cruise sooner) on the waterway side. Was initially disappointed that we were not on the port side, but there are no cruise ships to view except weekends, really. The waterway side overlooks the pool, marina and constant boating activitiy; when we went back this past November, I asked for the tower overlooking the waterway again. I checked the price on Expedia and then phoned the hotel directly; I paid prices that matched Expedia for a basic room. The pool area is really good; large pool, and a waterside bar area with food service. Definitely a water taxi stop.

We ate at places other than the hotel, (there are a number close to the hotel). There is a quick breakfast spot in the lobby area which is OK. The next hotel up 17th Street has a decent restaurant for full breakfast; there are other places like Edelstein's bakery and a Starbucks a couple of blocks further. For about $20 there is a van outside the door which will take you to the airport. There is no shuttle and a taxi from the port (which is really close) is about $10.

We will absolutely stay there again if the price is OK.

Nope that this helps.

Bill

Edited by spearmint

We did not stay but visited friends during their stay there. The lobby was busy and hectic with cruisers. Their room was so so. Nothing bad, nothing impressive. If you got it for a price you like, then it's ok.

If you booked on a site that didn't charge more for an upgraded room, you will get a standard room. You can offer to upgrade via phone or when you check in. Then see what the add-on might be. Too I'd make sure to join the Hilton Honors club if you haven't already. That might help in getting that upgrade.

I'd call the hotel and ask them to add a request for a port view on your reservation, if that's what you want. it's a request only.

I will be staying there the day before my cruise on the 23rd. We booked a balcony room in the tower. Not sure which room they will give us but we requested a room that has a good view of the ships

Everything looks new in the pictures on their website. I dont know if the people that are saying that its out dated haven't been there recently or if the pictures are very deceiving.

We shall see...

I stayed there precruise for 1 night last September. I had 1 of the jr suite with balcony. The room was fine and I had a view of the Marina. It was still way to hot and humid to enjoy the balcony. Even at 10pm. It just seemed like the AC just wasn't keeping up to well throughout the hotel. You had to walk outside to get to the resturant for meals. It was in fine shape but I am sure it could be updated a bit. Lot of basic sand walls.

I have to find a place for precruise and I may end up back here but they are charging you $20.00 for self parking.

Thanks for the replies and comments. I called the Hotel direct today and set up, breakfast, shuttle to port, and a tower room on the 12th floor or higher. I was already a member of the Hilton Honors. So we're good to go... at least I hope!

Thanks again everyone!