Rental cars with shuttles?

ssmea03

Hertz, Avis, and Budget have downtown Miami locations that are relatively close to the Port Of Miami. I have read many posts over the years that give conflicting reports of free transportation from the downtown locations. One thing I can confirm is the fact that the downtown locations are very small, very understaffed, and very busy on turnaround days. I personally drop off my rental vehicle at the Rental Car Center which is located directly across from Miami International Airport and take the free shuttle service to the Port Of Miami provided by either Alamo, National, Enterprise, Dollar, or Thifty.

Hertz, Avis, and Budget have downtown Miami locations that are relatively close to the Port Of Miami. I have read many posts over the years that give conflicting reports of free transportation from the downtown locations. One thing I can confirm is the fact that the downtown locations are very small, very understaffed, and very busy on turnaround days. I personally drop off my rental vehicle at the Rental Car Center which is located directly across from Miami International Airport and take the free shuttle service to the Port Of Miami provided by either Alamo, National, Enterprise, Dollar, or Thifty.

This is an excellent suggestion.

This just what I've been trying to find out, dollar are offering the best rates at the moment, but I can't find any info on the POA shuttles from MIA.

If you can provide more info on that shuttle service it would be great?

The shuttles go in both directions from the Port Of Miami to MIA. When dropping off a rental vehicle at the Rental Car Center you go up to the top floor, exit the building and the shuttles are parked to the right of the main entrance. When disembarking your ship at the conclusion of your cruise at the Port Of Miami the shuttles circle the terminal area and stop when you flag them down. When they are full they make the short fifteen minute trip back to MIA.

I have been researching car rentals for our upcoming cruise in late August. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason regarding rates. For Budget, Avis, Alamo and Enterprise, I notice that the rates are higher if you drop off at the downtown locations rather than at MIA. In some cases it was only a few dollars and others quite a bit. Do the reservation both ways and see if there is a difference.

As for one way rentals such as FLL and drop off at MIA and vice versa - this is what I found at Hertz.

For the same compact 27 hour rental:

FLL - MIA - $102

FLL - FLL - $169

MIA - MIA - $ 169

MIA - FLL - $90

Discount companies like EZ car rental charge a $250 drop off fee when renting from one airport and dropping off at another.

I plan to continue to monitor rental rates. Hopefully, the rental prices reduce a bit in the weeks prior to our trip.

Best advice - book something now that you can live with and then keep shopping. If you find a better deal, book it and cancel the first reservation. Rental car rates fluctuate even more than do airfares.

Dollar shares the shuttle with Thrifty from Port of Miami....

On Dollar's website, choose "MIAMI - CRUISE SHIP - SHUTTLE PROVIDED SEE POLICY" for the dropoff location if you need a shuttle to the port.

I have been researching car rentals for our upcoming cruise in late August. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason regarding rates. For Budget, Avis, Alamo and Enterprise, I notice that the rates are higher if you drop off at the downtown locations rather than at MIA. In some cases it was only a few dollars and others quite a bit. Do the reservation both ways and see if there is a difference.

As for one way rentals such as FLL and drop off at MIA and vice versa - this is what I found at Hertz.

For the same compact 27 hour rental:

FLL - MIA - $102

FLL - FLL - $169

MIA - MIA - $ 169

MIA - FLL - $90

Discount companies like EZ car rental charge a $250 drop off fee when renting from one airport and dropping off at another.

I plan to continue to monitor rental rates. Hopefully, the rental prices reduce a bit in the weeks prior to our trip.

Interesting, the best price I've seen so far is $66 for a standard SUV (4 of us) with dollar FLL - MIA. Budget were next with $78 FLL- downtown. Dates are for next November.

ssmea03

Go figure - We are going in the heat of summer - you would think the lowest season possible - and November is beautiful in Florida - maybe not high season, but beautiful weather.

As I said - no rhyme or reason......

ssmea03

Go figure - We are going in the heat of summer - you would think the lowest season possible - and November is beautiful in Florida - maybe not high season, but beautiful weather.

As I said - no rhyme or reason......

The summers peak season for European tourists, when their kids are out of school, And​ they always have a car.