Has anyone done the cable car in Tromso independently?

Hello -

We were on HAL's Prinsendam in 2006, and visited Tromso. After the ship docked, it was announced that the town was offering an all day bus pass for a small amount (maybe $5). From the pier, we took a bus to the city center. We changed buses, and went to the tram. It was well worth the effort and small cost of the tram, as the views were incredible. Back on the bus, we stopped at the Arctic Cathedral. They charge a small admission charge. I think it was more impressive from the outside. After another short bus ride, we stopped at Polaria - http://www.polaria.no/en/

Tromso was a very colorful town, and we enjoyed our day there.

Steve.

Hi

I live in Tromsø, and has done so for 11 years. But I am almost ashamed to say that I have never used the cable cars :o

It is extremely easy to do this by your self, absolutely no need to pay your cruise line for an expensive excursion.

My guess is that you will be docked in Breivika harbour (almost every ship docks there, only small ships can dock right by the city center), and this is about 3 km, outside the city center. First walk to the road and use the walkway under the road to get on the side where the buss-stop is. Use the city buss 42 to get to the city center (about a 10 minute ride, and this buss starts 5 in the morning and latest run at 00:30, and during the day it drives past Breivika 4-6 times pr hour). Get of at Stortorget (it is the first stop after you drive through 2 sets of traffic lights), walk across the road (towards the ocean) and turn right, after 20 meters you are where you will catch citybuss number 26. Take the buss to "Fjellheisen", and you are right by the cable cars.

When you have been to the top of the cable cars, jump back on route 26 (it runs in a loop, so it is headed back to the city center from where you got off it). To catch route 42 back to the ship you walk about 200 meters further south from where you got off at Stortorget, and catch it northbound from Urmaker Jørgensen (it will be driving in the opposite direction from when you got off it) and get off at Breivika.

Of course you can also get a taxi from the harbour to the cable cars, it will be a little bit faster, but also more expensive. The cost one way will be around 150 NOK ($23), and you can be up to 4 people for that price.

Some links you can look at:

http://www.vitaminw.no/kunde/cominor/Filvedlegg/Byrutekart_050109-1.pdf map of all the city routs

http://www.vitaminw.no/kunde/cominor/Filvedlegg/KART_GB_Sentrum_050109.pdf Where the busses starts at the city center. You should get of rout 42 from Breivika where it says Stortorget, catch buss 26 from S1 and catch route 42 back to the ship at S3 (S4 that says route 42/34 goes in the opposite direction and terminates far out at Kvaløya, thats across the bridge on the opposite side of the island)

http://www.fjellheisen.no/ the webpage of the cable car company.

I hope this helps! I can of course help you if you have any other questions.

Arlendius

Hi

I live in Tromsø, and has done so for 11 years. But I am almost ashamed to say that I have never used the cable cars :o

It is extremely easy to do this by your self, absolutely no need to pay your cruise line for an expensive excursion.

My guess is that you will be docked in Breivika harbour (almost every ship docks there, only small ships can dock right by the city center), and this is about 3 km, outside the city center.

Some links you can look at:

http://www.vitaminw.no/kunde/cominor/Filvedlegg/Byrutekart_050109-1.pdf map of all the city routs

http://www.vitaminw.no/kunde/cominor/Filvedlegg/KART_GB_Sentrum_050109.pdf Where the busses starts at the city center. You should get of rout 42 from Breivika where it says Stortorget, catch buss 26 from S1 and catch route 42 back to the ship at S3 (S4 that says route 42/34 goes in the opposite direction and terminates far out at Kvaløya, thats across the bridge on the opposite side of the island)

http://www.fjellheisen.no/ the webpage of the cable car company.

I hope this helps! I can of course help you if you have any other questions.

Arlendius

Hi, you are the person I am looking for. We have a SilverSeas cruise departing from Tromso in less than two weeks and are arriving the night before. We are in good shape so plan to walk around.

I am trying to find out exactly who will not take credit cards etc. because I need to order some NOK on Monday.

1) Is the cable car cash NOK only?

2) Midnight Sun concert at the Cathedral (We are hoping they have something on the 3rd). How far is the walk from the Clarion to the Cathedral or how much for a taxi?

3) Cost of taxi from airport to Clarion (I think our ship is scheduled to dock right around there, maybe by the Radisson. They gave me the name of the port. If you post it I will remember.)

4) Any museums that will require cash NOK (no credit cards)?

5) Does the Burger King take credit cards and if so is there a minimum? (not that we are planning on eating there, but who knows).

Hi, you are the person I am looking for. We have a SilverSeas cruise departing from Tromso in less than two weeks and are arriving the night before. We are in good shape so plan to walk around.

I am trying to find out exactly who will not take credit cards etc. because I need to order some NOK on Monday.

1) Is the cable car cash NOK only?

2) Midnight Sun concert at the Cathedral (We are hoping they have something on the 3rd). How far is the walk from the Clarion to the Cathedral or how much for a taxi?

3) Cost of taxi from airport to Clarion (I think our ship is scheduled to dock right around there, maybe by the Radisson. They gave me the name of the port. If you post it I will remember.)

4) Any museums that will require cash NOK (no credit cards)?

5) Does the Burger King take credit cards and if so is there a minimum? (not that we are planning on eating there, but who knows).

Hi I will be happy to try and help!

1: I cant imagine they don't take credit cards. They have a restaurant at the top, and a lot of tourist and locals using the cable cars. And here in Norway you cant do business without accepting plastic (I cant remember the last time I actually had money in my pockets, no kidding).

2.There are two Clarion hotels in Tromsø, With and Bryggen (me and my wife actualy stayed at Clarion Hotel With for our wedding night, and we really liked the hotel), but they are just across from each other. The walk from your hotel to the Arctic Cathedral is not that long. You just walk across the Tromsø Bridge, and the cathedral is right on the other side. It should take you around 15-20 minutes in a moderate tempo. A taxi would cost you around 100 NOK. If you have a room with ocean view on either of the Clarion hotels you can see the Arctic cathedral from your room. You might be happy to know that there is a concert on the 3. of July, and it will be performed by a man named Steffen Walther.

3. The cost would be approximately 150 NOK for a taxi from the airport to the city center (and you can of course pay with your credit card). You can also use the airport bus, it runs every 20 minute from the airport and to every hotel in the city, and the cost for a one way ticket is 55 NOK. If you are docked in the city you are docked right by Hurtigrute kaia (where the Norwegian costal express docks, not sure what the actual name is, but it is just called that), and that is just a short walk along the ocean from your hotel.

4. Most of the museums in Norway are free, but those who are not will accept credit cards. Might be some exceptions out side of city's, but I cant imagine where from the top of my head.

5. Yes you can pay with a credit card on Burger King.

I really wouldn't feel the need to feel the need to pre-order a lot of NOK before I came here. There are ATM's everywhere, and just about anybody accepts credit cards. In a squeeze you can even pay with Euros or Dollars if you ask nice (especially places they are used to tourists).

If you are planing to use American Express of Diners you might find that a few places wont accept your card, but that is mostly small independent stores. Any national or international brand store will accept just about anything. Every store will accept Visa and Mastercard happily.

Please feel free to ask if there is something more I can help you with.

Arlendius

Arlendius:Of course you can also get a taxi from the harbour to the cable cars, it will be a little bit faster, but also more expensive. The cost one way will be around 150 NOK ($23), and you can be up to 4 people for that price.

Thank you so much. Now I have a clear picture of how to get to and from cable car. Do you know if they accept cash only for cable car or may we pay by credit card. I'm pretty certain that taxis and buses have to be paid in cash. From what you explained I gather that there will be taxis where the ship docks, right?

Arlendius:Of course you can also get a taxi from the harbour to the cable cars, it will be a little bit faster, but also more expensive. The cost one way will be around 150 NOK ($23), and you can be up to 4 people for that price.

Thank you so much. Now I have a clear picture of how to get to and from cable car. Do you know if they accept cash only for cable car or may we pay by credit card. I'm pretty certain that taxis and buses have to be paid in cash. From what you explained I gather that there will be taxis where the ship docks, right?

Hi again!

As I said, I have never actually used the cable cars my selv, but I cant imagine they not accepting credit cards (so I am only 99.5% sure :D)! You can also send them a message here to find out: http://fjellheisen.no/?side=kontakt

Busses will have to be paid in cash, unless the ship has the tourist day passes on board and you can charge it to your onboar account (If i remember correct the price is 50 NOK for a 24 hour pass, and you can ride all the city buses as many times as you want to). Taxis will accept all major credit cards.

If you happen to dock in Tromsø with out any local currency on you, it is not a problem. You will probably dock in Breivika as I stated, and only 2-300 meters from the dock there is a gas station (Statoil) with a ATM machine, just keep left (walk towards the city senter/the bridge) and do not cross the road where the bus stop is and you really cant miss it!

As I have never been cruising to Tromsø my self, I cant say for sure that there will be taxies lined up at the dock, but I will be shocked if there is not (they are always looking for rides, and a cruise ship with a ton of passengers on should be a easy fit..)! If there isn't taxis lined up, walk to the Statoil station, taxis use this as a rest-place, if there are non present, just ask the gas station to call one for you (they will do it for free), and it will be there within minutes.

Arlendius

Hi I will be happy to try and help!

1: I cant imagine they don't take credit cards. They have a restaurant at the top, and a lot of tourist and locals using the cable cars. And here in Norway you cant do business without accepting plastic (I cant remember the last time I actually had money in my pockets, no kidding).

2.There are two Clarion hotels in Tromsø, With and Bryggen (me and my wife actualy stayed at Clarion Hotel With for our wedding night, and we really liked the hotel), but they are just across from each other. The walk from your hotel to the Arctic Cathedral is not that long. You just walk across the Tromsø Bridge, and the cathedral is right on the other side. It should take you around 15-20 minutes in a moderate tempo. A taxi would cost you around 100 NOK. If you have a room with ocean view on either of the Clarion hotels you can see the Arctic cathedral from your room. You might be happy to know that there is a concert on the 3. of July, and it will be performed by a man named Steffen Walther.

3. The cost would be approximately 150 NOK for a taxi from the airport to the city center (and you can of course pay with your credit card). You can also use the airport bus, it runs every 20 minute from the airport and to every hotel in the city, and the cost for a one way ticket is 55 NOK. If you are docked in the city you are docked right by Hurtigrute kaia (where the Norwegian costal express docks, not sure what the actual name is, but it is just called that), and that is just a short walk along the ocean from your hotel.

4. Most of the museums in Norway are free, but those who are not will accept credit cards. Might be some exceptions out side of city's, but I cant imagine where from the top of my head.

5. Yes you can pay with a credit card on Burger King.

I really wouldn't feel the need to feel the need to pre-order a lot of NOK before I came here. There are ATM's everywhere, and just about anybody accepts credit cards. In a squeeze you can even pay with Euros or Dollars if you ask nice (especially places they are used to tourists).

If you are planing to use American Express of Diners you might find that a few places wont accept your card, but that is mostly small independent stores. Any national or international brand store will accept just about anything. Every store will accept Visa and Mastercard happily.

Please feel free to ask if there is something more I can help you with.

Arlendius

Arlendius, thanks for the great information.

Any idea what type of music Steffen Walther is playing on 7/13 (and on the organ or some other instrument)? Any idea of the cost and if it is something you can just walk-in and pay (with a Visa)? I thought I read the concerts were at 11:30pm, so do you have to be there at 11:00pm?

Also, I guess we don't have as much time on Saturday as I thought if the museums do not open until 10:00am and we can board our ship at 2 or 3, so maybe 4 hours. What is the difference in all the museums, and which do you recommend? I found the web site for Polaria.

Also, I know what you mean about the credit cards. My DH's Visa was just sold off to another company so he just applied for an Am Ex but was concerned about it not being accepted everywhere.

Arlendius, thanks for the great information.

Any idea what type of music Steffen Walther is playing on 7/13 (and on the organ or some other instrument)? Any idea of the cost and if it is something you can just walk-in and pay (with a Visa)? I thought I read the concerts were at 11:30pm, so do you have to be there at 11:00pm?

Also, I guess we don't have as much time on Saturday as I thought if the museums do not open until 10:00am and we can board our ship at 2 or 3, so maybe 4 hours. What is the difference in all the museums, and which do you recommend? I found the web site for Polaria.

Also, I know what you mean about the credit cards. My DH's Visa was just sold off to another company so he just applied for an Am Ex but was concerned about it not being accepted everywhere.

Hi again!

I double checked the homepage of the church, and I misread it a little bit! Steffen Walther will be playing a short organ concert at 2 PM on the 3. of July (there is a short organ concert every day during the summer at 2 PM). The midnight concert is a varied affair with song, organ, trumpet, saxophone, etc. It starts at 11:30 PM and the cost is 100 NOK, and as long as you are there a few minutes before you should be fine. But if you want to have a look at the church it will be advisable to get there a bit early before the crowd from the Norwegian Coastal Express arrives.

You don't have to pre-order, and I would bring cash just to be sure, as I do not believe they will accept credit cards.

I am not sure that Polaria will be something you will like, it is mostly for a younger crowd (feeding of seal's, penguin's, information about Polar bears, a fly by film of Svalbard etc). At least that is my personal opinion, you might of course find it extremely interesting if you have never seen it before. But after all, you are headed to Svalbard on your cruise!

You have a few museums to choose from, and most of them in a walking distance from your hotel.

Perspektivet Museum (http://www.perspektivet.no)

It's located in the old house (1830) of a famours writer from Tromsø, and is a photomuseum about Tromsø and famous people from here. Entrace is free (at least it was last time I was there a few months ago).

Perspektivet also has a open air museum on the southern part of the Tromsø island. It is about a 3km walk, and you can stop in Telegrafbukta (right on the southern tip of the island), wich is a recreational are used by a lot of people in the weekends when the weather is nice. Tromsø Museum (http://www.tmu.uit.no) is located right by Telegrafbukta and the open air museum.

The Art Museum (http://www.museumsnett/nordnorsk-kunstmuseum.no)

Famous Norwegian artists, paintings, etc, that has something to do with Northern Norway. Also free and located right outside the city center.

Arctic Botanical Garden (http://www.uit.no/botanisk)

Located about 3 km from your hotel and north on the island.

You also have options like the Polar Museum, or a brewery tour at the worlds most norther brewery. Both located in short walking distance from your hotel.

I am sure I have forgotten a few of the options you will have also!

Arlendius

Hi again!

I double checked the homepage of the church, and I misread it a little bit! Steffen Walther will be playing a short organ concert at 2 PM on the 3. of July (there is a short organ concert every day during the summer at 2 PM). The midnight concert is a varied affair with song, organ, trumpet, saxophone, etc. It starts at 11:30 PM and the cost is 100 NOK, and as long as you are there a few minutes before you should be fine. But if you want to have a look at the church it will be advisable to get there a bit early before the crowd from the Norwegian Coastal Express arrives.

Arlendius

Perfect, thanks for this information along with the info on the museums!

• 10 months later...
Hi again!

You don't have to pre-order, and I would bring cash just to be sure, as I do not believe they will accept credit cards.

I am not sure that Polaria will be something you will like, it is mostly for a younger crowd (feeding of seal's, penguin's, information about Polar bears, a fly by film of Svalbard etc). At least that is my personal opinion, you might of course find it extremely interesting if you have never seen it before. But after all, you are headed to Svalbard on your cruise!

You have a few museums to choose from, and most of them in a walking distance from your hotel.

Perspektivet Museum (www.perspektivet.no)

It's located in the old house (1830) of a famours writer from Tromsø, and is a photomuseum about Tromsø and famous people from here. Entrace is free (at least it was last time I was there a few months ago).

Perspektivet also has a open air museum on the southern part of the Tromsø island. It is about a 3km walk, and you can stop in Telegrafbukta (right on the southern tip of the island), wich is a recreational are used by a lot of people in the weekends when the weather is nice. Tromsø Museum (www.tmu.uit.no) is located right by Telegrafbukta and the open air museum.

The Art Museum (www.museumsnett/nordnorsk-kunstmuseum.no)

Famous Norwegian artists, paintings, etc, that has something to do with Northern Norway. Also free and located right outside the city center.

Arctic Botanical Garden (www.uit.no/botanisk)

Located about 3 km from your hotel and north on the island.

You also have options like the Polar Museum, or a brewery tour at the worlds most norther brewery. Both located in short walking distance from your hotel.

I am sure I have forgotten a few of the options you will have also!

Arlendius

What is the price of a single bus ticket into city center from the cruise ship pier? I don't think I need a 24 hour ticket unless the distance is very far from one sight to another.

The Botanical web site does not translate to Eng. If you click English there is limited info pertaining to the Univ. What bus would I take to get to the Botanical gardens?

Thanks for your very helpful information.

What is the price of a single bus ticket into city center from the cruise ship pier? I don't think I need a 24 hour ticket unless the distance is very far from one sight to another. The Botanical web site does not translate to Eng. If you click English there is limited info pertaining to the Univ. What bus would I take to get to the Botanical gardens? Thanks for your very helpful information.

It looks like travelite has been good at doing the searches on past postings on Cruise Critics. Great effort and work! Here are my notes on Tromso. If the weather is decent, the cable car rides does seem fairly interesting. We're going to do this city on our own.

We will visit Tromsø July 8, Thursday, 8 am-5 pm and be docked near town center.

With 63,500 people, it is the seventh largest city in Norway and the largest in its northern area. It is known as the “Paris of the North”, is 186 miles north of the Arctic Circle and is located on an island. The city center of Tromsø contains the highest number of old wooden houses in northern Norway, the oldest house dating from 1789. The Arctic Cathedral, a modern church from 1965, is probably the most famous landmark in Tromsø. Its east wall is composed entirely of stained glass. The Polar Museum is situated in a wharf house from 1837, presents Tromsø's past as a center for Arctic hunting and starting point for many major Arctic expeditions. You are standing on a forest-covered island in a narrow sound, hemmed in by soaring mountains. A cable car travels up to the top of Mt. Storsteinen at 1,260 feet for views of the town, islands, mountains and water. The Polaria Arctic Center has sea life displays, an aquarium of marine life and trained seals. Its main street is Storgata with the town square opening onto the harbor. There is a daily open-air market selling flowers and crafts. Its two best dining places are Arctandria and Compagniet. Emm’a Drommekjokken get super high markets and is across from Tromso’s cathedral. For July 8, average high of 57 and low of 47; record high of 69 and record low of 42 on this date. Twenty-four hours of daylight. Latitude: 69.7° N.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Perfect, thanks for this information along with the info on the museums!

The link for the Art Museum shows page not found.

Once in city center, is it necessary to take a bus to it?

What is admission fee and hours?

It looks like travelite has been good at doing the searches on past postings on Cruise Critics. Great effort and work! Here are my notes on Tromso. If the weather is decent, the cable car rides does seem fairly interesting. We're going to do this city on our own.

We will visit Tromsø July 8, Thursday, 8 am-5 pm and be docked near town center.

With 63,500 people, it is the seventh largest city in Norway and the largest in its northern area. It is known as the “Paris of the North”, is 186 miles north of the Arctic Circle and is located on an island. The city center of Tromsø contains the highest number of old wooden houses in northern Norway, the oldest house dating from 1789. The Arctic Cathedral, a modern church from 1965, is probably the most famous landmark in Tromsø. Its east wall is composed entirely of stained glass. The Polar Museum is situated in a wharf house from 1837, presents Tromsø's past as a center for Arctic hunting and starting point for many major Arctic expeditions. You are standing on a forest-covered island in a narrow sound, hemmed in by soaring mountains. A cable car travels up to the top of Mt. Storsteinen at 1,260 feet for views of the town, islands, mountains and water. The Polaria Arctic Center has sea life displays, an aquarium of marine life and trained seals. Its main street is Storgata with the town square opening onto the harbor. There is a daily open-air market selling flowers and crafts. Its two best dining places are Arctandria and Compagniet. Emm’a Drommekjokken get super high markets and is across from Tromso’s cathedral. For July 8, average high of 57 and low of 47; record high of 69 and record low of 42 on this date. Twenty-four hours of daylight. Latitude: 69.7° N.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Terry, Your research is great also. Thanks for sharing.

I'm a research nut and truly enjoy exploring and learning.

What is the price of a single bus ticket into city center from the cruise ship pier? I don't think I need a 24 hour ticket unless the distance is very far from one sight to another.

The Botanical web site does not translate to Eng. If you click English there is limited info pertaining to the Univ. What bus would I take to get to the Botanical gardens?

Thanks for your very helpful information.

Hi

A single bus ticket is 26 NOK ($4.50) at the moment, and if you make your return journey within 1 hour you can use the same ticket.

To get to the botanical garden from the city center you can take bus number 20 and get of at the university. Just ask the bus driver to let you know when you are there. You can also take the bus back to the ship (number 42), and get of at the same place as for the ship (Breivika), and then cross the road and walk to the botanical garden.

The botanical garden is within walking distance from where the ships doc in Breivika, it is just a 5-10 minute walk.

I have created a map on Google with this information, and I can ad more information if needed. The map can be found here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=69.669376,18.980255&spn=0.070854,0.283241&t=h&z=12&msid=102713108091196768666.000485ae966532f238686

Arlendius

The link for the Art Museum shows page not found.

Once in city center, is it necessary to take a bus to it?

What is admission fee and hours?

Sorry, there was an error in the link to the art museum.

Here is the correct one! http://www.museumsnett.no/nordnorsk-kunstmuseum/english.htm Admission is free, and the opening hours are 10 AM to 5 PM Tuesday to Friday (closed on Mondays) and noon to 5 PM Saturday and Sunday.

It is right across the road from where you can get of route 42. I have added it to the map I mentioned in the post above this one.

Regarding the arrival of Silver Cloud on 8 July: according to the SS web site the ship docks "within walking distance of town center." While the 2km walk from town to the Breivika docks is certainly doable, I don't think they'd adverstise it as "walking distance." So, I'm hopeful we'll dock right downtown.

Arlendius, since the Silver Cloud is a relatively small ship (just under 17,000 tonnes and 514ft long) do you think she'll "fit" at city center? Is there a harbor schedule for 8 Jul? And thank you so much for all your great insight.

Greg

Regarding the arrival of Silver Cloud on 8 July: according to the SS web site the ship docks "within walking distance of town center." While the 2km walk from town to the Breivika docks is certainly doable, I don't think they'd adverstise it as "walking distance." So, I'm hopeful we'll dock right downtown.

Arlendius, since the Silver Cloud is a relatively small ship (just under 17,000 tonnes and 514ft long) do you think she'll "fit" at city center? Is there a harbor schedule for 8 Jul? And thank you so much for all your great insight.

Greg

Smaller expedition type ships can doc right by the city center (they often use the same doc as the Norwegian coastal express, just a bit closer to the bridge), so if they say they will doc there, I am sure they will. I have added where smaller cruise ships doc by the city center to the Google map mentioned in previous posts.

For a look at the ships schedule, you can look at the Tromsø Harbor's web-page (http://www.tromso.havn.no/en/). I could not get the list to work to see all the expected cruise-arrivals, but maybe you have more luck than me.

Arlendius

Terry, Your research is great also. Thanks for sharing. I'm a research nut and truly enjoy exploring and learning.

THANKS for the nice comments on the research! Let us know the other ports your cruise will visit. I'm happy to share notes and info from those ports where your cruise and ours will visit the same areas/towns. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Hi

A single bus ticket is 26 NOK ($4.50) at the moment, and if you make your return journey within 1 hour you can use the same ticket.

To get to the botanical garden from the city center you can take bus number 20 and get of at the university. Just ask the bus driver to let you know when you are there. You can also take the bus back to the ship (number 42), and get of at the same place as for the ship (Breivika), and then cross the road and walk to the botanical garden.

The botanical garden is within walking distance from where the ships doc in Breivika, it is just a 5-10 minute walk.

I have created a map on Google with this information, and I can ad more information if needed. The map can be found here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=69.669376,18.980255&spn=0.070854,0.283241&t=h&z=12&msid=102713108091196768666.000485ae966532f238686

Arlendius

Arlendius,

You have been so very kind and helpful with all your postings and replies. Thank you for the map link and information provided.

Travelite

Smaller expedition type ships can doc right by the city center (they often use the same doc as the Norwegian coastal express, just a bit closer to the bridge), so if they say they will doc there, I am sure they will. I have added where smaller cruise ships doc by the city center to the Google map mentioned in previous posts. For a look at the ships schedule, you can look at the Tromsø Harbor's web-page (http://www.tromso.havn.no/en/). I could not get the list to work to see all the expected cruise-arrivals, but maybe you have more luck than me. Arlendius

From Greg: Regarding the arrival of Silver Cloud on 8 July: according to the SS web site the ship docks "within walking distance of town center." While the 2km walk from town to the Breivika docks is certainly doable, I don't think they'd adverstise it as "walking distance." So, I'm hopeful we'll dock right downtown.

THANKS to Arlendius for the info and confirmation that our Silver Cloud visit will mostly likely be at the close and most handy docking point.

For Greg, my research says that on July 8 that the Silver Cloud will be the only cruise ship in port in Tromso. Nothing else is scheduled that day or the day before or after. That makes things much easier than when there are one or two large 2500-passenger ships in port at the same time. I'm re-checking that info with their port officials through their website.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

THANKS to Arlendius for the info and confirmation that our Silver Cloud visit will mostly likely be at the close and most handy docking point.

For Greg, my research says that on July 8 that the Silver Cloud will be the only cruise ship in port in Tromso. Nothing else is scheduled that day or the day before or after. That makes things much easier than when there are one or two large 2500-passenger ships in port at the same time. I'm re-checking that info with their port officials through their website.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Terry you are a wealth of information. Do you happen to have an email addresses for the ports of: Amsterdam; Copenhagen; Alesund, Norway; Bergen, Norway.

If not, is there a web site where I can locate the specific pier/docking location of the Prinsendam in these ports in June.

Thanks.

• 2 years later...

I'm resurrecting an old thread here that had good info. However, when I went to the suggested website for the cable car it said it was closed throughout the rest year of the year for maintenance. Wasn't sure if that meant just 2012 or if that also means summer 2013. Anyone with information on that?

We will be the Olympic ship in town (abt 680 passengers), is that small enough to be at the town center dock?

Thanks in advance.

I'm resurrecting an old thread here that had good info. However, when I went to the suggested website for the cable car it said it was closed throughout the rest year of the year for maintenance. Wasn't sure if that meant just 2012 or if that also means summer 2013. Anyone with information on that?

We will be the Olympic ship in town (abt 680 passengers), is that small enough to be at the town center dock?

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Even in Norwegian all they say on their webpage is that they are closed for the rest of the year due to maintenance (I used to live in Tromsø, but I havent for the past 2 1/2 years, so I don't know how long it will be closed). Even in the local newspaper (on the web) for Tromsø they have no mention of how long it will be closed. All they have written bout for the past 6 months is that they can't launch the new years fireworks from the top of the mountain due to the maintenance this year (they have no way of getting all the equipment up the mountain).

They do have a Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/Fjellheisen So you could try and ask there. Or you can try and send a e-mail to booking@fjellheisen.no and ask them. When all this is said, I do not think the cable car will be closed next summer, they simply can't afford being closed for a full tourist season.

Your ship is small enough to dock downtown, but there is no guarantee for it to do so. That depends on what other ships have booked space for that day. Often large fishing vessels, research vessels etc are docked downtown. There simply is no way of knowing unless you have the harbor schedule for Tromsø that day. The cruse line might know what quay they have booked at, so you can try and ask them.

I am sorry I couldn't give you any straight answers, but I hope I have helped you a little bit anyway.

Arlendius

Archived