My Sapphire Beach Review and other highlights w/pics

pinkiesue

We were in St. Thomas April 16 8-6. We were planning on going to Sapphire Beach first then do shopping and paradise point. Well it didn't work that way. My DH decided we should do the shopping first because we were looking for a ring I found our first time there in 2004. Been looking ever since everywhere. So glad we did cause I found my perfect pink sapphire and diamond ring!! :)

Ok so back to the boat to drop stuff off and grab towels we made our way back to the taxis. Told the main guy and pointed us to our taxi where a couple was waiting for more people to fill the taxi so they were very excited to see us. We waited a few more mins and then another 2 people came and off we went.

The other people were going to Secret Harbour. Dropped them off and another 5 mins we at Sapphire Beach:). By then it was after 12. Ivan our driver asked when we wanted to be picked back up we said around the same time the other folks wanted too was fine with us. They said 3 so our pick up time was 2:45

Now for my review on Sapphire beach.

I read so many good things about it that's where we decided to go. Thank you Blue Water and Mitsugirly. The hostess lady met us when we walked thur the entrance and told us where to snorkel and where the turtles would be found(bingo that's what I wanted to hear)

Walked thru and the first sight was amazing

P4160330_zpscfe1e51d.jpg

I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to finish tomorrow

well that was a tease if I ever saw one! We're planning on going to sapphire beach in 2 weeks - can't wait! :D

Sorry it took longer than I thought it would!:)

Having trouble with downloading

Ok so where was I?!

As you can see it was windy and a choppy out there. I didn't care I was there to snorkel and find some cool fish and coral and of course turtles.

When we entered the beach the place to rent snorkel gear was right there to the right. $5 for 1 hour, $8 for 2 hours and $10 for all day. We had snorkels and 1 mask so we just needed everything else. So do you think they gave us discount? nope. No matter what you need you still have to pay full amount. Oh well. I didn't care I only had 2-2 1/2 hours. So 3 sets at $8 and 1 chair for $7, total $31.

We park our chair and towels and stuff and got on our gear and away we went. We went in straight where the sand was and made our way to the grassy areas on the left where the turtles were suppose to be. No luck but saw fish and coral I was happy. Here are some pics of that area

bth_P4160166_zps7990c525.jpg

bth_P4160173_zps6719d283.jpg

Went close to shore and then this lady said that someone saw turtles further out. Ok lets try that.

We went a good ways out. Saw nothing then I spotted this

bth_P4160208_zps837a37b4.jpg

I found my DD and showed her then I found my DH and at the same time he saw a stingray!. Well I couldn't be in 2 places at once with the camera so he came to us. He said the ray was leaving anyways.

My vacation was complete after the first port!!

So we watched him for awhile eating and then he went to get air

bth_P4160197_zps22c121cf.jpg

This was so awesome. So after watching him for a while we headed back to shore then I saw this

P4160210_zps01bed395.jpg

The big colorful fish is my DD15

Here's a better look at this young guy

bth_P4160213_zpsa60141e6.jpg

This is all for now.

I'll try to come back later, I have more to share.

I was trying to download my video of the turtle on here but wasn't working. Maybe later.

So after we watched the turtles eat for awhile we went back to shore and my DD & DH I think had enough so they went back to the chair. I still had about an hour or so to explore more. So off to the right side where all the rocks and coral are I went.

Amazing! Close to where you enter the water there was fish.

bth_P4160249_zpsb6f5f761.jpg

bth_P4160240_zps7345827e.jpg

bth_P4160275_zpsf4c18473.jpg

bth_P4160285_zps99a145a4.jpg

bth_P4160257_zps2d137680.jpg

If it was a sunnier and less windy day the pictures would have come out better.

I came out of the water to tell my DD & DH about all the fish I've seen but I guess they saw enough already. When I was out we did see a duck walking around (sorry no pic of him). Back into the water I went. Here are some more fish I saw

This guy, I did see a few of them

P4160263_zpsef975c13.jpg

notice that the water wasn't too deep where I saw the fish. So if you have little ones they will see fish not that far out.

A whole school of minnows?

P4160270_zpsc078e93b.jpg

The beach did have a little crowd but not too many in the water for it to be crowded.

P4160279_zps02ffc647.jpg

I could have stayed in here all day:)

P4160265_zpsbb23445c.jpg

So I didn't see just fish

Here is some coral

P4160168_zpse9e84eaf.jpg

P4160163_zpsc6dff914.jpg

Fan coral

P4160157_zpsa1675fe3.jpg

On this next one notice the Christmas tree worms on the brain coral.

Mitsugirly I remember reading that you would like to see one someday. I didn't notice them til I looked at the pictures. They are kinda cool

P4160321_zps7ec66633.jpg

Here are some other cool things I found

If anyone knows what they are that would be great. Anemone?

P4160317_zpsfcaa0da6.jpg

P4160297_zps7f83e702.jpg

Sea urchin and love this yellow sea anemone

P4160295_zpsd4cc58ea.jpg

And this sea urchin trying to hide himself!

P4160288_zps0383ad6a.jpg

Well my 2 hours was just about up so I decided to get out and dry off some before the taxi came.

We asked some people that were under the trees where our chair was if they saw any iguanas today and they said no :(. But my DH took the camera and walked the rest of the trees to see if he could find any. No luck. We handed in our snorkel gear and they handed back my ID I forgot they took from me. oops. So if you rent gear and they take your ID or ship card remember to turn it back in;).

We had a bit of time before the taxi so I decided to call my dad since it was his birthday and wish him Happy Birthday on the webcam. it was cool he did see us since no one else was on the volleyball court he couldn't miss us. This nice colorful man joined us

P4160329_zps34ae95d3.jpg?t=1367462239

Blue Water you might know him, I think he was the cook from the resort. We saw him at the grill at the resort.

So if you were looking at the webcam around 2:35 on april 16th you might have seen us we were waving!!

After this it was time to get packed up. It was a great day there, saw turtles which was awesome. It was windy so you bobbed up and down some when snorkeling but not to bad I did swallow some water but that's because I'm not a coordinated snorkeler!!

Like I said there was a crowd but remember this was later in the day maybe some of the ship excursion was there. It didn't seem crowded and we did get a spot under the trees for shade.

I would go back there again and spend more time there and enjoy everything else they had to offer. Beautiful beach

I guess this is more like a snorkel review of the beach. Sorry.

We got packed up and washed our feet with the spikket(sp) in front of the rental place.

Ivan our driver was there and off we went to get the other group at Secret Harbour.

Here are some pictures of the beach

The rental place is to the left of the white canopy (looking at pic) and we set up to the left of that under the trees

P4160184_zps3a69828f.jpg

P4160325-Copy_zps36b5e754.jpg

Let's go look for those turtles

P4160130_zps29037321.jpg

If I had more time I would float on those. not sure how much $

P4160322_zps54962e55.jpg

Sorry for the water dot

P4160324_zps00021ad6.jpg

After we left Sapphire we went to pick the other at Secret harbor. We were a few mins early and didn't see the others so Ivan our driver said we could get out and look around til 3. Went down to the beach, this was also a nice beach. A little calmer water. We got back to the taxi and still no sign of the others. Remember they're the ones that wanted to be picked up at 3, so not sure if they left earlier or what. No problem the were 4 others that needed a ride back to port so we took them. We talked alittle about their snorkeling and they didn't see any turtles there but it was nice.

We hit traffic when we were coming down the hill towards town. Didn't take long. We were in no hurry we didn't have to be back on the boat til 5:30. Ivan dropped us off $30 plus tip.

We walked to the Skyride to Paradise Point. Already had our tickets that I bought on board. They were cheaper saved $2 per person. Traded them in got wristband walked up to tram and hoped right on. Up we went. Nice view on the way up. Dark clouds were coming. Once we got to the top where to gazebo was it started to sprinkle. We could see the rain coming across the bay

bth_P4160351_zpsc06ea068.jpg

That's the Liberty and the Breeze(which was our ship)

We started to walk down to the restaurant. time we got down there this is what it looked like

bth_P4160355-Copy_zpsf33c6d11.jpg

rain was here. We grab a table under the canopy to wait it out and to try the famous Bushwacker

bth_P4160357-Copy2_zps8cea631c.jpg

Here's the recipe if anyone wants it (Sorry it's gonna be a big pic)

9c576009-c97a-4fb0-be70-cdaa2a08bcd0_zps99d2cef9.jpg?t=1367516853

We enjoyed those while my DD got connected with everyone back at home

bth_P4160358-Copy2_zps52f9f735.jpg

She also got a cheeseburger. We haven't eaten all day so she was hungry.

I haven't eaten either and i'm not a big drinker so I was sure feeling this when I got off the tram ride down. Yes I got Bushwacked :).

Gettin' bushwhacked is a good thing! :p

We renewed our vows at the gazebo for our 25th while on a cruise with 6 other friends and then spent a week on Provo after. Glad you took the time to enjoy PP, and I hope you have much nicer skies next visit! Thanks for sharing all of the pics.

Gettin' bushwhacked is a good thing! :p

We renewed our vows at the gazebo for our 25th while on a cruise with 6 other friends and then spent a week on Provo after. Glad you took the time to enjoy PP, and I hope you have much nicer skies next visit! Thanks for sharing all of the pics.

That's such a beautiful view. Congrats on your 25th. Maybe we should do that for ours in 6 years!

After we drank our bushwackers and she ate her cheeseburger the rain let up enough to head back down. The view was a little better

bth_P4160361_zpse7f4a84a.jpg

We couldn't stay any longer to see it really clear up because my DD wanted to do some shopping at the port. We waited only a few mins for the tram. When we got to the bottom the rain had stopped. Like I said I was feeling the drink by then, it didn't help that my DH added what was left of his to mine to take with us.

We made it to the shops did some shopping and I needed to get back to the ship to get some food to soak up all this alcohol ;).

After getting some food I looked up and this was a great way to end a great day on ST. Thomas

bth_DSC_0111-2_zps81620437.jpg

It looked like it ended at this house

bth_DSC_0123-1_zpsc6a32fe3.jpg

I hope they got a pot of gold!

Can't wait to go back.

Hopefully this helped somebody decide to go to Sapphire Beach. It was wonderful and I would definitely go there again. :)

That's such a beautiful view. Congrats on your 25th. Maybe we should do that for ours in 6 years!

Thanks for the review and pictures. They were great. Question for you, what type of camera were you using. Trying to find a good underwater for my cruise in July. I think I might have missed it, but were you at a resort? If so, how much was the day pass and what was the name of the resort. Thanks

Joe.....

Thanks for the review and pictures. They were great. Question for you, what type of camera were you using. Trying to find a good underwater for my cruise in July. I think I might have missed it, but were you at a resort? If so, how much was the day pass and what was the name of the resort. Thanks

Joe.....

My camera is the Olympus tough TG-620. I got it for x-mas and it was pink! :). I have an older model so since they finally had a pink one it was time to upgrade!

We were on the Carnival Breeze. There is no fee for the beach just the stuff you rent.

My camera is the Olympus tough TG-620. I got it for x-mas and it was pink! :). I have an older model so since they finally had a pink one it was time to upgrade!

We were on the Carnival Breeze. There is no fee for the beach just the stuff you rent.

Thanks for the info. I will look it up except I probably won't be getting a pink one. :D

Joe.....

Loved your review and pictures. We'll be there this Monday and our plans are to go to Sapphire since we went to St. John the last time. We're taking our own snorkel gear and would love to see a turtle. Our plan after that was to ride the Skyride to Paradise Point, but it sounds like that may be up in the air - unless there's a way cabs can get up there. Would love to see the view and I've been dying to try a Bushwacker. In case we can't, thank you for sharing the recipe and thank you also for taking the time to do a detailed review of Sapphire Beach.

Archived