My Sapphire Beach Review and other highlights w/pics

pinkiesue

There are jet ski rentals at the Sapphire marina, can't help with prices but I'm sure they're typical. When we've sailed out of the marina I've seen about 6 jet skis parked there so not a big operation.

There is also an outfit at the Bolongo Bay Resort (about 4 miles before Sapphire) that is very popular, you can get their contact info at the resort site or search this forum using those key words (jet ski, Bolongo Bay) and also the St Thomas forum on tripadvisor.

OMG! I can't wait to go here!!!!

I bought my own snorkel set and I am so glad I found a place I can walk out and snorkel. I don't like super deep water so I am happy I can walk out to the point I am comfortable. I will probably rent anyway since I would want fins and the flotation device- the prices are super cheap!!

I am happy to hear they have jet skis. My husband HATES the beach and would have complained about going to Sapphire Beach, but he would be a happy camper if he was going to the beach to jet ski! I bought him a snorkel set as well- I hope he actually uses it- those pics a really beautiful. I am looking for a great underwater camera this weekend!

I REALLY hope a sea turtle comes by the say hello!:D

I am looking for a great underwater camera this weekend!

Check out the Olympus Tough point and shoot cameras. I love mine. If you click on any of the DREAM reviews in my signature, you will be able to see what kind of pictures it takes. I have pictures of snorkeling from using the camera in the Little French Key, and also the ones from Maya Key in the STAR review were done using that camera. :)

OMG! I can't wait to go here!!!!

I bought my own snorkel set and I am so glad I found a place I can walk out and snorkel. I don't like super deep water so I am happy I can walk out to the point I am comfortable. I will probably rent anyway since I would want fins and the flotation device- the prices are super cheap!!

I am happy to hear they have jet skis. My husband HATES the beach and would have complained about going to Sapphire Beach, but he would be a happy camper if he was going to the beach to jet ski! I bought him a snorkel set as well- I hope he actually uses it- those pics a really beautiful. I am looking for a great underwater camera this weekend!

My camera is also the Olympus tough. I had to get the new pink one that came out. This is my second Olympus.

The jet skis you have to walk to but not far. There are other water toys at the beach to rent as well. Like stand up paddle boards.

I hope you do get to see a turtle:) Let us know if you do.

You will enjoy your stay there. I did very much.

My camera is also the Olympus tough. I had to get the new pink one that came out. This is my second Olympus.

The jet skis you have to walk to but not far. There are other water toys at the beach to rent as well. Like stand up paddle boards.

I hope you do get to see a turtle:) Let us know if you do.

You will enjoy your stay there. I did very much.

well, we were at Sapphire in 2012 so we thought we'd do St John's but looking at your photos has changed my mind.

we had the time of our life there and even though we were there a couple of hours longer than you, it really wasn't long enough.

besides, we missed Paradise Point and getting bushwhacked !! so it's back to Sapphire but this time with an underwater camera to capture our memories!!

thank you so much for your review and photos. i will steer people from our Royal Princess rolecall to this thread.

well, we were at Sapphire in 2012 so we thought we'd do St John's but looking at your photos has changed my mind.

we had the time of our life there and even though we were there a couple of hours longer than you, it really wasn't long enough.

besides, we missed Paradise Point and getting bushwhacked !! so it's back to Sapphire but this time with an underwater camera to capture our memories!!

thank you so much for your review and photos. i will steer people from our Royal Princess rolecall to this thread.

Thank you for the kind words.

Yes definitely get a real underwater camera, then you don't have to worry about only taking 27 pics from a throw away one.There will be so much to take pictures of:).

Yes make sure you leave yourself time for Paradise Point so worth it. Also make sure you have something to eat to soak up all that alcohol:D If you're a light weight like me and almost didn't make it back to the ship standing up;). I definitely got Bushwhacked!!!

• 1 month later...
Is the tram to Paradise Point close to the cruise ship dock (we will be on the Allure)?

We were only planning to go to Sapphire Beach, but I think we will do Paradise Point as well.

The Allure docks at a different dock than the other cruise ships that are right in front of Paradise Point. So you will not be able to walk across the street to get to Paradise like you would if you were on a smaller ship.

Here's a picture of the port across the street from Paradise and if you look in the distance (in the cove area facing toward the picture) you will see the Oasis docked over at the other area. You will have to take a taxi there. This was taken from Paradise Point:

IMG_2017-L.jpg

Here's one zoomed in over on the Oasis and it was turning around to dock when she pulled in:

IMG_1697-M.jpg

Great choice of beaches, and yes you will need to taxi back to Havensight (the other port) and either have the driver drop you at the tram or drive up to PP (short drive from the main street).

Per the owner tram repair parts are enroute from Austria and they're hoping to be open Oct 27 so they will certainly be open when you are there. You can usually buy refundable tram tickets through your excursions desk. PP is a great spot to end your day, but you will need to taxi from there or from the tram back to Crown Bay.

Enjoy!

You will enjoy it. We did. Wish we were there right now!

pinkiesue,

Did you find the snorkel equipment to be in good condition?

Did they seem to have plenty of equipment to rent?

We are very excited about Sapphire. My concerns are the condition of the equipment and whether it will be available.

Thanks!

The snorkel gear is in decent shape, not like having your own but most folks are pleased with what they rent. You need to make sure the fit is good of course and any problems just let them know, they're very easy to work with. During our stays at the resort we've never seen enough ppl at the beach on a given day to worry about not having enough snorkel gear.

So you should be fine, just head there early and grab a great, shaded spot along the beach! ;)

The snorkel gear is in decent shape, not like having your own but most folks are pleased with what they rent. You need to make sure the fit is good of course and any problems just let them know, they're very easy to work with. During our stays at the resort we've never seen enough ppl at the beach on a given day to worry about not having enough snorkel gear.

So you should be fine, just head there early and grab a great, shaded spot along the beach! ;)

Thank you! Our ship doesn't dock until 10:00. We are hoping to get off the ship and head straight to the beach. Don't have any idea how long it will take to disembark with a few thousand other passengers.:confused:

You should be fine, just look for a taxi that's already close to filled and enjoy the ride there. Even if Sapphire is more crowded than normal there is still alot of room to spread out. They have a lot of gear as well so I think you will be OK! ;)

pinkiesue,

We are very excited about Sapphire. My concerns are the condition of the equipment and whether it will be available.

Thanks!

When we were there in 2012 we docked an hour earlier, but I agree with blue_water, you will be fine for time. The taxi will fill up fast because a lot of people go to Coki beach too plus there are other major stops along the way to Sapphire.

There's plenty of equipment and my husband had to change out his first mask. There was no problem doing this and the second one fit much better.

Honestly, your biggest concern should be a good underwater camera so you have "trophy's", as well as bragging rights, to the amazing time you're going to have !

We will be on the Royal Princess and stopping in St Thomas again, this time in March 2014. We will be going back to Sapphire by unanimous vote !

pinkiesue,

Thanks!

We didn't get there til after 12pm because we went shopping real quick first, there was still plenty of equipment left and had no problems with them.

I agree with Axelmom having a good underwater camera is great. I asked for my new one for Christmas for our cruise. You never know what you might see out there. I'm glad I had one since we saw turtles.

• 3 weeks later...

We have stuff booked for Nassau, and for Tortolla. I think we're gonna do an all inclusive at the Grand pineapple resort on Antigua, and maybe just take a taxi to a beach in St. Thomas, we wanna see the Ice bar and do the ski lift also. Anyone have any insight on the beaches, is Sapphire bay good, or Magans bay. Just don't like Carnivals excursions on those two islands.

We're looking at Grand Pineapple god a land vacation, a bit away from the port for a day visit but a nice spot. We also enjoyed the Excellenca cat sail (see Antigua by sea) and a tour with Lawrence that includes a beach stop. Antigua is gorgeous.

Our fab beach on STT is Sapphire, most folks who go there never go back to Magens. But Jst depends on what you like really.

We stay on Tortola, that's my favorite destination. What do you have planned there?

We have stuff booked for Nassau, and for Tortolla. I think we're gonna do an all inclusive at the Grand pineapple resort on Antigua, and maybe just take a taxi to a beach in St. Thomas, we wanna see the Ice bar and do the ski lift also. Anyone have any insight on the beaches, is Sapphire bay good, or Magans bay. Just don't like Carnivals excursions on those two islands.

blue_water is spot on about Sapphire Beach. We are going back in March but plan on ending our day with a run up to Paradise Point on the tram to get "bushwhacked", something we neglected to do last time.

Beautiful beach, abundant sea life, birds eye view of the island and a coconutty concoction containing at least 7 different liquors and liqueurs. Yup. Should be a perfect ending to a perfect day.

Archived