Straight guy with a question.

schlot

Hi everyone. My wife and I went on our honeymoon cruise this past January and wanted to ask a question.

I saw in the Princess Patter each day that there was a LGBT get together each day, so obviously the cruise line was making a specific time and place for LGBT people to meet and greet. Conversely, I have a good friend that only goes on LGBT only cruises.

I was wondering if people who go on non-LGBT cruises feel (in general) that there is openess on board to feel comfortable in attending the LGBT meeting or do you feel there may be backlash by being identified as going to an event like this.

Hopefully I've asked my question without sounding like a moron. :)

Edited by schlot

There is generally no problem being open about being gay on regular cruises. But everyone has their own feelings about that. My partner and I, both over 70, are obviously a couple and have been on many cruises together. We have no issues with the cruise line staff, but once in a while a passenger is less than friendly. The LGBT get-together is a nice way to meet others with similar interests. But meeting straight folk is good too, so we like open dining with some new people each night.

I have never been on a gay cruise.I prefer the straight ones.Not big on the gay scene.Have never had an issue.The govt meetings are not usually well attended.

Hi everyone. My wife and I went on our honeymoon cruise this past January and wanted to ask a question.

I saw in the Princess Patter each day that there was a LGBT get together each day, so obviously the cruise line was making a specific time and place for LGBT people to meet and greet. Conversely, I have a good friend that only goes on LGBT only cruises.

I was wondering if people who go on non-LGBT cruises feel (in general) that there is openess on board to feel comfortable in attending the LGBT meeting or do you feel there may be backlash by being identified as going to an event like this.

Hello. You are nice to ask the question, and you don't sound like a moron at all. Cruise lines generally are very gay friendly, and I've never encountered any kind of anti-LGBT sentiment from crew or other passengers. Lines like Princess and Norwegian make a point of publicizing a time for LGBT folks to get together if they want, and I'm glad they do. On my past two cruises I met some nice folks with whom it was nice to share the cruise. Especially sailing solo, it's nice to have the chance to meet some guys with similar interests. My very-straight dad went to the final LGBT gathering on Crown Princess last February and he had as much fun as I did. In fact, he met a guy who grew up in my step-mom's home town.

Tell your friend that he would likely do very well on a non-LGBT-charter cruise. My first two cruises were all-LGBT and I was nervous to go on my first "straight" cruise. I mostly go on non-charter cruises now. Cheers.

I have been mostly on regular cruises but I have also been on 2 gay charter cruises and as a solo gay cruiser I have never come across or witnessed any anti-gay behavior on any cruise, and I have been on a full range or cruise lines. People on cruises are generally there to have a good time and are open to casual, friendly inter-actions with others they encounter. Crew are certainly used to dealing with a significant number of gay passengers and treat them like the other passengers. I have been to GLBT meetings on straight cruises as well as Cruise Critic meetings and they are both good ways to interact with other passengers.

Some gay people prefer gay cruises (they are fun) but, in my opinion, there is no need for any gay person to restrict himself (or herself) to gay cruises over any worry about an anti-gay backlash. There are rude people everywhere, but in my experience, any anti-gay rudeness is unlikely.

My partner and I have been on 16 mainstream cruises, and have never had a second thought about being on a mainstream cruise. Having cruised on HAL, Princess, Celebrity, passengers and crew have been nothing but cordial. We did have a member of the Tea Party on one cruise who snuck into the bar where the LGBT get together was happening just to overhear our conversations. He opened up his book and just listened to us chatting. After several drinks and a lot of laughing, he left. I guess he figured out we are just like everyone else and wanted to have a good time.

I've only been on 2 NCL cruises myself, and never on a "gay cruise".

My experience on-board the Epic last year was mind blowing! Not only was there absolutely no negative / hostile encounters of any sort, but after the 2nd night most of the fun-seeking straight cruisers were actively seeking us out. "Where are the gays at?" became synonymous with asking where the fun was happening. :D

As an added bonus, I also made lasting friendships with some non-LGBT solo cruisers, one of whom shared a cabin with me on my next cruise (strictly for cost savings), and another one is helping me plan my next trip. I would definitely not want to limit myself to interactions with only those who share my orientation.

That's been my experience so far. For the record, I'm completely "out" without the need to advertise and not so much into the "scene".

My partner & I have only done "mainstream" cruise aboard either Cunard or Celebrity. We find the gay charters have a premium. Afterall someone has to pay for chartering a cruiseship. In our 10+ years of cruising we've never had any issues with antigay pax. Rude & obnoxious pax, well every cruiseline has those!

I am the straightest Gay Guy on earth and I have only been on "regular" cruises. I have had the pleasure of meeting straight people, couples on my cruises and enjoy them even more than my "own kind".

So no, you are not moronic, you are the preferred!

Good question Schlot

My first cruise is the current on Anthem and based on this I simply don't see the reason for a gay cruise.

People are friendly and I don't feel any lack of accept.

But for us it's the same as when we're back in Denmark; a gays-only hotel, supermarket, workplace etc would be just as silly to me.

I am the straightest Gay Guy on earth and I have only been on "regular" cruises. I have had the pleasure of meeting straight people, couples on my cruises and enjoy them even more than my "own kind".

So no, you are not moronic, you are the preferred!

Thanks!

So being the "straightest gay guy" does that make you a stealth gay man....one that isn't detected by gaydar? :)

Edited by schlot

Thanks!

So being the "straightest gay guy" does that make you a stealth gay man....one that isn't detected by gaydar? :)

Yes actually, that has been the story of my life. Gay men were pleasantly surprised and straight folks always shocked when they realized it!:eek:

I've had a great life!:cool:

"My first cruise is the current on Anthem and based on this I simply don't see the reason for a gay cruise."

You will think that until you try an all-gay charter. Afterwards you will know there are reasons. Just too much fun.

Thanks Darrel

But why? And sorry if I step on some toes, but my gay life is a part of my life.., I'm a fully open gay man and don't need the gay cafes, gay bars or gay sex clubs (anymore)

We don't dance and don't need a bunch of raving queens to have fun! :)

Trust me - the straight people are actually a fun group to be open with :)

I'm not trying to be rude, only honest - and would welcome examples on differences?

Thanks

While I don't think they are for everyone, there are many many reasons why I love gay cruises and would choose them over an ordinary cruise.

We have found a sense of community on gay cruises that is amazing. It feels like we are "coming home" every time we go on another one. We have actually met some of our closest friends on cruises and continue to travel with them. And we run into the same guys year after year, which is amazing.

I like being able to kiss my husband whenever I want without worrrying at all what others think. I know things are changing in society, but I am still cautious to show PDA in my "normal life." I don't have that fear on a gay cruise.

To me, there is something very special about being in the majority for 1 week a year. Also, while of course being gay is only a small part of who I am, it does give me something in common with almost everyone else on the ship, which is cool.

I like the fact that there are no children.

I like the extra gay-themed entertainment.

I like the casual, fun atmosphere. We let loose on a gay cruise in a way that we rarely do at home.

Again, they are not for everyone, but for me they are totally worth it.

Thanks, it's also sounds fun and a great place to be.

But on the "straight" cruise we are right now on the Anthem, we touch, we cuddle, we hold hands and we kiss a little - and it's not frowned upon.

But, I admit, you give reasons to try a gay cruise also some day.

While I don't think they are for everyone, there are many many reasons why I love gay cruises and would choose them over an ordinary cruise.

We have found a sense of community on gay cruises that is amazing. It feels like we are "coming home" every time we go on another one. We have actually met some of our closest friends on cruises and continue to travel with them. And we run into the same guys year after year, which is amazing.

I like being able to kiss my husband whenever I want without worrrying at all what others think. I know things are changing in society, but I am still cautious to show PDA in my "normal life." I don't have that fear on a gay cruise.

To me, there is something very special about being in the majority for 1 week a year. Also, while of course being gay is only a small part of who I am, it does give me something in common with almost everyone else on the ship, which is cool.

I like the fact that there are no children.

I like the extra gay-themed entertainment.

I like the casual, fun atmosphere. We let loose on a gay cruise in a way that we rarely do at home.

Again, they are not for everyone, but for me they are totally worth it.

Thanks for outlining your thoughts. Makes perfect sense why a LGBT only cruise would be appealing.

I'd love to see tolerance and acceptance of all people become so routine, that anything else is the minority.

We are all God's children after all!

Edited by schlot

Thanks, it's also sounds fun and a great place to be.

But on the "straight" cruise we are right now on the Anthem, we touch, we cuddle, we hold hands and we kiss a little - and it's not frowned upon.

But, I admit, you give reasons to try a gay cruise also some day.

There is something heart warming about see a LGBT couple show PDA in public. Gives a person hope that good will prevail over ignorance.

Thanks for outlining your thoughts. Makes perfect sense why a LGBT only cruise would be appealing.

+1

I'm not sure LGBT chartered cruises are for me, so to speak, but that highlight of reasons definitely gives me a reason to put it on my "must try" list.

You'll never know until you try, right?

Another big plus to me of a gay cruise is the entertainment--it is usually particularly good and geared toward a gay audience.

It is amazing how much pop culture revolves around straight relationships--songs, sit coms and tv dramas, movies, books, even sports ("kiss cams"). On a gay cruise there is just a different perspective to everything. I enjoy straight cruises and have never experienced (or seen) bigoted behavior, but it is nice every now and then to experience a different--gay-focused--culture.