Extension Cords???

zlacruising

Been on 27 cruises, brought a power strip on every one after the first and never had an issue. My hubby uses a CPAP machine and the room steward asked if we need one on the last cruis

Exactly right. But, somewhere, somehow, somebody said you could not. It says so right there in the first post.

Here is the link in case someone thought I made it up.:rolleyes: It was a recent post as of this week and they are talking about NCL. I'm not putting the name. If you want his name it is on The NCL Escape in Dec. 2015-2016---Christmas and New Year's Cruise.

"About extension cords. Do not bring a standard extension cord. They have been taking them away when you board. Safety reasons. There is a device that the cruise ship idiots do not confiscate that I bought a few years ago. You can plug anything into them and they are U. S. Coast Guard approved."

OK...that is it. No more comments needed.

Here is the link in case someone thought I made it up.:rolleyes: It was a recent post as of this week and they are talking about NCL. I'm not putting the name. If you want his name it is on The NCL Escape in Dec. 2015-2016---Christmas and New Year's Cruise.

"About extension cords. Do not bring a standard extension cord. They have been taking them away when you board. Safety reasons. There is a device that the cruise ship idiots do not confiscate that I bought a few years ago. You can plug anything into them and they are U. S. Coast Guard approved."

Have a great vacation!, wish that I was cruising that soon!

( and, FYI- some other lines DO confiscate ext. cords- saw it on Royal 2 summers ago......no power strips allowed, either! I did NOT take a video)

People are not trying to be mean on less than helpful.

Since the Escape has not yet sailed, nobody could even post that an extension cord was an issue.

If you had just asked if you could take an extension cord, people would have said yes. But, since you said you had read on CC that you could not, folks wanted to not only help you, but to clear up where that bad information came from. And, it is bad.

Here is a post about Legend of the Seas crew member confiscating one. see post #6 in this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2159791

Edited by NMLady

I've taken a power strip with a 6' cord on every one of our cruises except the first one - had no idea we would need one! We've sailed most of the usual lines and haven't even been questioned about it. And it stays out, usually on the desk where the single US outlet is. Never hidden it. It is packed in my carry on because it's considered "essential"!

And it's not uncommon to ask for more information or a link where you read/saw whatever it is you're asking about. It's called clarification. Also, I know who some on these boards seem to love to provide misinformation. For the life of me, I don't understand why. Or maybe they are passing along hearsay as their personal experience.

Edited by GORDONCHICK

I don't know about an extension cord, but I bring a Belkin multi plug & USB hub so that I can charge more than one device at a time and I have never had an issue. As long as your cord and plug is UL rated/certified you probably won't have a problem.

I took three extension cords with us on our Gem cruise, all arrived in our cabin with our luggage. I made sure they were appropriately rated for the usage they would receive, but no one questioned them even when they were in plain sight in our cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread gave a whole new meaning to Cruise CRITIC!!!! There really is no need to be rude on here! Not everyone is a professional!!!! I hope you got the answer you were simply asking!!! I think you should just bring one! If it gets confiscated then no big deal!!! I heard some people bring hair dryers and have them taken away!!! They are called to the naughty room!!! :p

We brought a power strip on our Epic cruise last week. We placed it under the counter and ran the device cords through the grommet. Clearly this picture shows we have an addiction to our multitude of electronic devices. 2 iPhones, 1 iPad, 2 kindles, 1 set of Bluetooth headphones, and a charger for my Jawbone. The first step is admitting you have a problem. ;)

4D2DB703-791F-43BE-ADE4-15F20D7E659B_zpseuexrg8m.jpg

AA0D4510-6D7C-4926-8E58-668E08B1A08B_zpsihjjdw4x.jpg

Edited by Shayhooper

OP this is what I was referring to: http://www.belkin.com/us/BST300-Belkin/p/P-BST300/

They also have a similar one here: http://www.belkin.com/us/BSV300-CW-Belkin/p/P-BSV300-CW/

If you are not using your items while they are charging this is a much lighter option than a power strip with extension cord, and of course you guarantee that no one will trip over it by mistake.

OP this is what I was referring to: http://www.belkin.com/us/BST300-Belkin/p/P-BST300/

They also have a similar one here: http://www.belkin.com/us/BSV300-CW-Belkin/p/P-BSV300-CW/

If you are not using your items while they are charging this is a much lighter option than a power strip with extension cord, and of course you guarantee that no one will trip over it by mistake.

That is clever for devices that can be charged on the desk and that don't have those big square plugs like our camera has.

If a person has a CPAP they need an extension cord since the CPAP must be on the nightstand by the bed, and that is not near the plug on the desk.

The OP was asking about a fan as well. Not sure your device would work for that either.

Edited by NMLady

On the older Dawn/Jewel class ships with just one 110 volt electrical outlet, the Belkin adapter with 2 USB's is ideal, and it rotate to fit as shown here.

SDC10354-Belkin%20Power%20Adapter.JPG

On the newer Epic/Breakaway/Getaway (and, Escape still in the shipyard ?? so relaxed - take a deep breath) mega-ships with two 110 volts outlet and up to two usable 220-240 outlets, the same Belkin adapter is good too.

Almost all cellphone & laptop/notebook computer, etc. in use now for the past 10 years come with dual voltage, auto-sensing power adapter and I always plug them into an available 220-240 outlet, with the use of an inexpensive adapter (shown below - the small black on bottom left) - via your local Home Depot or Dollar Stores, etc.

IMG20140329_BA-Electric-Outlets.jpg

IMG140609_0906.jpg

Or, you can get one of these inexpensive power tab - there's no surge protection circuits and they worked just as nice - similar ones are sold at Target & Walmart all over + eBay & Amazon online, usually UL-listed http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-3-Outlet-Cube-Converter-R54-00692-00W/100356925?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-205427292-_-100356925-_-N

Practically speaking, these are excellent solutions with the extra cord being loose & for it to get tripped over. For those traveling with CPAP, they knew & always carry their own extension cord or request one from housekeeping.

It's always best practices to unplug these when not in use for charging or while out of the cabin unattended, for safety reasons - no laws are broken if because you don't, just not recommended or preferred.

Until NCL post official written prohibitions against their use, I personally have no reasons to worry about rent-a-security at the cruise terminal check-in looking for extension cords in addition to checking our luggage for other banned items along with alcohol & runners, etc.

Edited by mking8288

That is clever for devices that can be charged on the desk and that don't have those big square plugs like our camera has.

If a person has a CPAP they need an extension cord since the CPAP must be on the nightstand by the bed, and that is not near the plug on the desk.

The OP was asking about a fan as well. Not sure your device would work for that either.

mking8288 posted a helpful photo. They do in fact rotate, and I plug my large Canon Rebel battery charger there. I've no idea if they'd work for your camera charger or other device however I was posting that suggestion for those that actually would find it useful. I'm certainly not encouraging you to look into bringing something that you personally don't need.

OP --- No I guess that wouldn't work for your fan. :) Anyway I don't think you'll have much issue bringing an extension cord. You can always try and see.

I'm too lazy today to look up the original post to see what that person was referring to as "USCG approved". There is no such thing. The USCG does not do approvals for electrical devices, they accept anything that UL approves, however, even there, there is a USCG Safety Alert about surge suppressors that are UL approved that should not be used onboard.

Other posters have mentioned and shown the Belkin power adapter, which unfortunately is a surge suppressor, and really should not be used onboard, or at least not in an unattended cabin. The reason that so many are used is that they do not appear like a power strip in the security scan, at most it looks like a multi-plug (which would be acceptable).

The main problem with extension cords is that most people, in trying to save space while packing, will pack what I call the "lamp cord" extension cord, which does not have a very high current capacity. What are better are the heavy type cords that you typically see attached to power strips, or that are found in your workshop or garage.

Received an email from NCL this morning with this link:

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-information/article-what-pack-your-cruise?cid=SM_NCL_GLO_NA_FBK_NA_WLP_NA_NA_NA_NA

they are telling you to pack a power strip.

You will note that this is a 220v power strip (note the European round pin plug in it), and it is not a surge suppressor. Power strips without surge suppression are generally acceptable onboard.

So, the general guidelines are: a 15-20 amp rated extension cord, preferably without multiple outlets, and a power strip without surge suppressor function (generally cheaper) will be allowed.

Here is the USCG Safety Alert about surge suppressors, and is one reason the lines are all cracking down on them:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/csncoe/docs/safety%20alerts/USCG%20Marine%20Safety%20Alert%2003-13%20Surge%20Protective%20Devices%20Onboard%20Vessels.pdf

This Safety Alert really should be made a sticky for all forums here. JMHO.

Received an email from NCL this morning with this link:

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-information/article-what-pack-your-cruise?cid=SM_NCL_GLO_NA_FBK_NA_WLP_NA_NA_NA_NA

they are telling you to pack a power strip.

FROM THE NCL WEBSITE REFERRED TO ABOVE:

POWER STRIP

Yes a power strip is allowed! Staterooms on board will not have as many outlets as you’re probably used to, and sometimes they may not be located in the most convenient place. If you are traveling with a large family or many electronics of your own, think about bringing a power strip.

• 1 month later...

Do you think NCL Spirit will allow this? Mine is a little bit bigger than the ones posted here.

372.jpg

I have this one too, not sure which one would be better to bring, only advantage on the one above has USB.

372.jpg

Edited by edtorious

Do you think NCL Spirit will allow this? Mine is a little bit bigger than the ones posted here.

372.jpg

I have this one too, not sure which one would be better to bring, only advantage on the one above has USB.

372.jpg

The upper Belkin is a surge suppressor (note the "protected" led), which while its compact shape may pass it through security, is really not recommended for use onboard, as per the USCG Safety Notice I've linked above.

The second power strip does not appear to have surge suppression, and should be fine. You can plug a USB "wall wart" into this.

The upper power outlet will probably at least give you the "ungrounded" alarm led, and may actually not work if it is looking for the ground pin and neutral blade to be at the same potential.

Edited by chengkp75