Frankenstorm heading towards us

Bfson

We are on the Navigator heading to Miami. At the moment we are in Sanguenay (sp?) in Canada. Hurricane Sandy is heading up towards the east coast. We are curious how close it will get to our ship. I assume that if it does get serious we will stay anchored somewhere safe or go east and out to sea. The other potential problem is damage to future ports of call. If the have no power, I assume the shore excursion will be cancelled. Stay tuned.

Keep us informed.

How is Saguenay? I suspect the colors are somewhat fading by now. I was so surprised with that port. I had never heard of it before the cruise, so had no real expectations. It turned out to be one of our favorites and a place we will definitely return to.

Bfson, as long as you are in Canadian waters, you could check with the Weather Network and Environment Canada for forecasts. If you click on the "weather warning" area, you will have a better chance of getting an accurate forecast for the next 24 hours. I am sure that Regent is carefully watching the weather in a much more detailed way to ensure that passengers safety and passenger comfort are a priority.

We just returned from Navigator (disembarked in Montreal on Wednesday) and were very impressed with Saguenay. It reminded us of Alaska. Too bad you didn't get to see it.

Keep us informed. Even if you can't get off the ship, you're on one of the best for enjoying yourself onboard!:)

in 2005, Navigator fled New York to get to sea as Hurricane Rita was coming up the East Coast. many, many palettes of supplies were left on the dock in the rush to leave port. the destination was a Panama Canal crossing in October. Katrina had happened a month earlier.

am hoping your ride will be exciting, and certainly not dangerous!

the ship bobbed like a cork! elevators were shut down. swells rose to the pool deck and over. glassware broke. crew slept on the floor in their quarters.

we skipped every port along the coast, including Fort Lauderdale, where 200 passengers were supposed to board. those who could make it were advised to meet the ship in unscheduled San Juan. there was a rumor onboard as we finally made it to landfall... we had just about run out of coffee and huge relief ... we were picking up supplies!!

we also had to outrun Hurricane Wilma and made an unscheduled stop in Cartanega.

when the sun came out, I remember the room stewardesses all outside on the balconys washing and cleaning. the glass sliders had to be clear and the view sparkling.

we never felt queasy. if you do, the medic can dispense an injection if pills don't work.

the ship may feel quieter because many people will be in their beds.

survive this and it will make a great memory!

I had a wonderful experience on the Navigator "Fall Colors" cruise (that left on 10/14 from NYC) and never DREAMED a huge storm could happen a week later-our weather throughout was perfect; sunny, calm and lovely.Here's hoping that the people who embarked in Montreal on the 24th are okay out there...that Sandy looks a bit scary!

We're 50 miles inland from Fort Pierce, Florida. It's been past us since yesterday, but it's still dreary and gray with fairly strong winds, and rain in bands. This is a BIG storm.

I empathize with the folks in the Northeast corridor; it's probably going to be rougher than what we occasionally see in Florida, if only because you're not as used to it.

The tracking shown by computerworks has the eye over Phildelphia at 2 AM Tuesday...why is it they always seem to make landfall in the middle of the night?

Too bad you'll miss Bar Harbor. We did the excursion that toured Acadia Nat'l Park and it is beautiful. Halifax is a good place to hang out an extra day. Go to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, which is a short walk from the ship. It has some excellent exhibits, including Titanic memorabilia and great ship's models. A few good shops and restaurants are close by too.

I'm old enough to remember Hurricane Hazel that hit Southern Ontario with devastating results. As Don mentioned, it is worse if a bad storm hits here because we aren't used to it and therefore not as prepared as you would be in Florida. At the moment we are having heavy rain from the low front that is moving over us from the north. The big trouble arrives when that front meets Sandy.

I remember Hurricane Hazel too, although I was pretty small. But that storm is very much part of my generation's psyche up here. I believe the results of that storm resulted in the establishment of the many conservation authorities which manage the small rivers that flow into Lake Ontario, and have done a lot to prevent flooding since that time.

I sure hope nothing like that happens, to anyone along the route.

At the block party tonight the Captain said the current plan was to stay at the harbor in Halifax as the worst of the storm passes.

If it goes inland far enough south of here it may be considerably weakened by the time it gets here.

It has been announced that they are closing the Port of NY on Sunday evening.

NCL put out this bulletin:

The US Coast Guard has advised that it will close the Port of New York as of 6 pm Sunday, October 28. Therefore, Norwegian Gem’s arrival in New York on Monday, October 29 will be delayed and the ship will remain at sea. The Coast Guard has not yet determined when it will re-open the Port of New York. Therefore, guests scheduled to sail on Norwegian Gem’s October 29 sailing are asked to continue to check ncl.com for the latest updates and information. We expect an update on the ship’s arrival and departure times on Sunday evening.

Norwegian Dawn will cancel its call to Portland, Maine on Tuesday, October 30 and instead stop in Halifax, Nova Scotia on Monday, October 29 from 10 am to 8 pm.

we are in Sydney after a very rough night. Don't know if it was caused by Suzy or just an often rough patch of water. Today is cold and rainy but we are having a great time.

The captain has announced that we will spend 2 days in Halifax. Boston may be skipped. No word on Newport. Tuesday and Wednesday are the days they say the storm will hit up here.

Archived