Capri VS Amalfi Coast Which One???

countess5

Ok first, sorry for starting a new thread but I searched and could not find anything specific to this question. Have read great things about both places.

Will be Docking in Messina in September, I have contacted Rome in limo for a day tour of the Amalfi coast. We understand the beauty of the coast and also how nice Capri is. We have been to Italy before but Northern and this is our first Mediterranean cruise.

For those that have been to Naples, what would be your choice, Amalfi Coast tour or Capri if you had to select one? This will not be our last visit to the region. The help and guidance would be so appreciated!

A little confused. Messina is in Sicily so are you planning on taking a ferry from there to the amalfi coast? If it was me...actually it was last year:rolleyes: I would stay on Sicily and vist Mt Edna, or the Greek theatre or the ruins or.....

If you are porting in Naples, I would suggest the Almalfi coast and save Capri for sometime when you can overnight on Capri. It's a different place (in a good way) after the day trippers head home.

People who have been to Capri say it is gorgeous. In 2012 we stopped in Naples and chose Pompeii and Amalfi Coast by water. Thought it was great. Then in 2013 we had another cruise with a Naples stop. We did the Amalfi drive. One day we will get to Capri but we have not regretted choosing Amalfi Coat twice.

Just returned from my first visit to Capri in May after several port days from several previous cruises on the Amalfi Coast. Although I really enjoyed Capri, my favorite part of the day was the amazing speedboat ride with Captain we took from Amalfi up the coast to Capri and back. That even is a better way to see the Amalfi Coast than driving with a private van as we did on our first visit to this area. However, a drive down the Amalfi Coast and stop for lunch at one of the many wonderful hilltop places with great views is a good second IMO.

If you have not visited either Pompeii or Herculaneum, both are worthy of several hours of your day.

Edited by CintiPam

We visited Capri on our own last year on our stop in Naples. This year we went to Sorrento with the intention of going over to Amalfi but ran out of time. I enjoyed Sorrento a lot more than Capri - even without making it to the Amalfi coast!

We felt that Capri was so crowded and actually left after just a few hours. We could have paid for a tour or go to the grotto but there were too many people. I am sure it would be different if we stayed a few days like was mentioned earlier. In Sorrento, we wandered around all day and then went down to one of the beach clubs near the ferry. Great day!

Next time we will get to the ferry early and catch the SITA bus and make it to Amalfi.

Make sure you have plenty of room on your SD card. I easily burned 400 - 500 pictures on that route.

Actually bought 10 4GB SD cards off eBay. One for every port and more. Each card holds 1,100 pictures. Got the idea from a friend who did a Med cruise last year.

10 cards were $51.90, $5 a card for memories!

• 5 months later...

We went to both on different cruises. Both are beautiful and should be high on your list. I hope to go back someday to each on a land trip for multiple night stays. That being said, I recommend the Amalfi coast first. I strongly recommend against ship's tours that go to both.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
We visited Capri on our own last year on our stop in Naples. This year we went to Sorrento with the intention of going over to Amalfi but ran out of time. I enjoyed Sorrento a lot more than Capri - even without making it to the Amalfi coast!

We felt that Capri was so crowded and actually left after just a few hours. We could have paid for a tour or go to the grotto but there were too many people. I am sure it would be different if we stayed a few days like was mentioned earlier. In Sorrento, we wandered around all day and then went down to one of the beach clubs near the ferry. Great day!

Next time we will get to the ferry early and catch the SITA bus and make it to Amalfi.

I know this post is very old, but I am trying to find out how to do Capri on my own or on a private tour. Do you mind sharing how you did that?

I know this post is very old, but I am trying to find out how to do Capri on my own or on a private tour. Do you mind sharing how you did that?

Super easy. The ferry dock is right next to the dock for the ships, go over and buy your ticket, and hop on! Couldn't be easier. When we got there, we rented a very cool convertible taxi and went all over the island, stopped at a great spot for lunch, etc. We had a great day

Super easy. The ferry dock is right next to the dock for the ships, go over and buy your ticket, and hop on! Couldn't be easier. When we got there, we rented a very cool convertible taxi and went all over the island, stopped at a great spot for lunch, etc. We had a great day

Thanks! Is there a need or a way to pre-book the convertible taxi?

Thanks! Is there a need or a way to pre-book the convertible taxi?

No, they're all lined up at the dock, but let me see if I can find the card of our driver, he was just great. They have the coolest Fiat convertibles there, never seen anything like them anywhere else. We went with another couple and had a fabulous day.