Emergency contact info.

woodspines

Q:* Can I contact people back home from the ship?

A:* Your friends and family can contact the ship by calling (888) 724-7447. Or from outside the U.S. they can call (321) 953-9003. The cost is $7.95 USD a minute and can be charged to their MasterCard® or Visa®. From outside the U.S. additional long distance charges will also apply.

You can make ship-to-shore calls from your stateroom, 24 hours a day. The cost is $7.95 USD per minute and will be automatically charged to your SeaPass account.

You can also use our onboard Internet Cafés, stateroom Internet connection, or Hot Spots to send an e-mail to your friends or family for a minimal fee.

How do I get emergency contact info. To leave at home in case we need to get contacted on the ship?

We will be on IOS.

Also note that text messages at sea are not that expensive, at least for AT&T & Verizon. You could turn a cell phone on periodically to check for messages. Just keep cellular data off to control unexpected charges.

And to add, make sure that you leave the name of the ship you will be on as well as your cabin number as the call goes to a central answering center first before it is redirected. Also, it would be a good idea to have a time set up for emergency calls when you know you will be in your cabin.

The time starts ticking once the operator on the ship says "hello". If you are not in your cabin, they will not page you, but the person on the other end will be charged for being on hold.

Edited by cruisenfever

And to add, make sure that you leave the name of the ship you will be on as well as your cabin number as the call goes to a central answering center first before it is redirected. Also, it would be a good idea to have a time set up for emergency calls when you know you will be in your cabin.

The time starts ticking once the operator on the ship says "hello". If you are not in your cabin, they will not page you, but the person on the other end will be charged for being on hold.

Actually the call goes to the cabin like anyother call. It then goes to voice mail if the phone is not answered and you can leave a message, just like what happens if you call your room from another phone on the ship.

This is from actual experience.

Edited by mo&fran

Actually the call goes to the cabin like anyother call. It then goes to voice mail if the phone is not answered and you can leave a message, just like what happens if you call your room from another phone on the ship.

This is from actual experience.

Thanks for the update. This was not our experience several years ago. Might depend on the ship also.

If you have an AT&T cell phone, incoming text messages are free. So I leave my phone on with cellular data turned off. that way someone can text me at no charge.

If you have AT&T or any other provider contact your carrier and double check before blindly following someone's post

Eat more BACON

If you have AT&T or any other provider contact your carrier and double check before blindly following someone's post

Eat more BACON

OK, how about a link to the AT&T website with the rates?

http://www.att.com/att/global/affordable-world-packages/?messaging

Down at the bottom of the page:

Pay-Per-Use Rates

Text messages:

Send: $0.50

Receive: Standard domestic messaging

rates apply.

Picture/video messages:

Send: $1.30

rates apply.

So receiving messages is at standard rates which if you have unlimited texting makes it free.

...and if you look here: http://www.att.com/att/global/affordable-world-packages/?cruise

There are the packages which are available to significantly lower the price of the phone calls made.

Edited by reedl

Good advice. Or even simpler, we look forward to turning them off and leaving them in the safe for a week:D

Just because you prefer to do that, some people like to be connected at all times. I work with the internet all day long, and make my money from internet connected software. This is my life, and I much prefer to me able to connect whenever and wherever I want.

Plus on our last cruise, my daughter was at home and was sick, so we needed to be able to be contacted anyways.

..And being able to be contacted for free was significantly better than paying $8 a minute.

Just because you prefer to do that, some people like to be connected at all times..

I wasn't telling anyone else what they should do:rolleyes: Just making a comment about what we do, followed by a SMILE.

Edited by bouhunter

Text messages:

Send: $0.50

rates apply.

Picture/video messages:

Send: $1.30

rates apply.

So receiving messages is at standard rates which if you have unlimited texting makes it free.

I saw all of that however it wasn't 100% clear. Does it REALLY mean they are free if you have unlimited text... OR do you get charged at their STANDARD domestic rates. So I still stand by my first post check with your provider and do not blindly follow someone's post. And I would add even if they give links to outside information.

I was told by sprint that for 30.00 more a month I could receive voice calls but on further inquiry what I was told was incorrect. If I was international calling it was covered but if I was international roaming I was not. So I almost paid 30.00 for a service that would have did me no good and would have given me a large bill when I got back. So when you contact your provider take it to the next level and speak with someone who might know a little more. They should have a department that handles international and or cruise ships.

I wasn't telling anyone else what they should do:rolleyes: Just making a comment about what we do, followed by a SMILE. Get up on the wrong side of bed today??

Lol I liked your response.

Eat more BACON

I saw all of that however it wasn't 100% clear. Does it REALLY mean they are free if you have unlimited text... OR do you get charged at their STANDARD domestic rates. ...

We have AT&T with unlimited texting, and it is really free to receive texts on the ship. However, I also agree that it's a good practice to confirm rates with the carrier.

• 10 months later...

Is 888-724-7447 the number to call for all ships? My husband had a spell 2 weeks before my sailing & I would feel more comfortable if I could be contacted if any emergency happens. My son could text me if needed. I will be in Port Canaveral on Sunday & Key West on Wednesday so I will call those days to check on him. I debated whether to even go but he said go & our son can keep an eye on him. I also did not buy travel insurance this time (that will NOT happen again). I didn't know how that would affect my friend who is traveling with me & sharing the cabin. I know priorities would mean stay home.

Also, it would be a good idea to have a time set up for emergency calls when you know you will be in your cabin.

Unfortunately it's hard to plan for an emergency to happen at a given point and time. If Uncle Bob has a heart attack at 3:00am, but your emergency call time is 11:00pm that really doesn't do much good.

Granted it may be a good idea to plan a time for a "check up" call to see how things are going, but not for an emergency.

Unfortunately it's hard to plan for an emergency to happen at a given point and time. If Uncle Bob has a heart attack at 3:00am, but your emergency call time is 11:00pm that really doesn't do much good.

Granted it may be a good idea to plan a time for a "check up" call to see how things are going, but not for an emergency.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm leaving in the morning & I was concerned. I will worry but our son is close by. DH has all his phone numbers & can give them all to our son. I am also making sure DS has a house key if DH doesn't answer the phone or door. I don't know what else I can do except pray he is alright & keep my fingers crossed.