Lunenburg

Aosborn

• 1 month later...
How far is Lunenburg from the port in Halifax? Is it possible to do both Lunenburg and Peggy's Cove or are they far apart?

Yes it is very possible to drive to Peggy's Cove and then on to Lunenburg. Have lunch at the Fish Market on the wharf. It is a gorgeous little town with a lot of neat things to see. You could do this round trip in about 5 hours including the sightseeing and eating times. Not to be missed.

Yes it is very possible to drive to Peggy's Cove and then on to Lunenburg. Have lunch at the Fish Market on the wharf. It is a gorgeous little town with a lot of neat things to see. You could do this round trip in about 5 hours including the sightseeing and eating times. Not to be missed.

Can you give me some idea of what there is to see there? Hubby & I have been to Halifax and we're trying to decide if a trip to Lunenberg is worthwhile for us.

We aren't shoppers and we really aren't "strollers" (just walking around).

We booked a private tour that goes to Lunenberg and has a stop at Peggy's Cove. It's with Van Tours of Nova Scotia, but that's not an endorsement. We have not been yet so I cannot comment yet as to their tour.

We took a tour to Mahone Bay, Lunenburg, and Peggy's Cove w Halifaxtaxitours. It's a long day but some beautiful scenery. They stopped a few miles before Peggy's Cove at a Lobster shack for the best lunch I have ever eaten! Approx $20 for a 2 lb lobster right off the boat along with 1/2 doz oysters etc. Only drawback was no beer.

Lunenburg was definitely a stroll/shop kind of place. One of the first "planned communities" in the western hemisphere. We enjoyed it very much- especially Ironworks Distillery- nice tasting room there. Lots of photo ops too on this trip. Just some insight for your use.

Regards, DMaugle

Can you give me some idea of what there is to see there? Hubby & I have been to Halifax and we're trying to decide if a trip to Lunenberg is worthwhile for us.

We aren't shoppers and we really aren't "strollers" (just walking around).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcBZH-glMtLJ2vNfAIF0-3LgCjEBySg2cPU-uwfAoaTWkMTt7svtwuJoY It is a beautiful little town that you have seen in many movies. There is a Fisheries Museum which is very interesting and a lovely Fish Market restaurant that has wonderful food and views of the harbor. I love the Iron Works which has lovely candle holders and other items forged there onsite, It is home to the famous tall ship BlueNose II and if lucky it will be in port. I love to hunt for sea glass on the beaches there and buy the hand made soaps and other products. Take the carriage ride around the little town and you will see the old academy (no longer a school) and St John's church. Have a lovely cruise.

It is a beautiful little town that you have seen in many movies. There is a Fisheries Museum which is very interesting and a lovely Fish Market restaurant that has wonderful food and views of the harbor. I love the Iron Works which has lovely candle holders and other items forged there onsite, It is home to the famous tall ship BlueNose II and if lucky it will be in port. I love to hunt for sea glass on the beaches there and buy the hand made soaps and other products. Take the carriage ride around the little town and you will see the old academy (no longer a school) and St John's church. Have a lovely cruise.

I'm not sure it would be "cost effective" for us, as just getting there seems quite expensive from Halifax. Maybe if there's a private taxi tour organized we might consider it?

But you have certainly made it sound like a lovely place. Thanks! :)

I'm not sure it would be "cost effective" for us, as just getting there seems quite expensive from Halifax. Maybe if there's a private taxi tour organized we might consider it?

But you have certainly made it sound like a lovely place. Thanks! :)

You could also see Pegg's Cove on the way if you take the coastal road.....

You could also see Pegg's Cove on the way if you take the coastal road.....

We were in Halifax in 2010 for two full days (with a rental car) and we got to visit all the major city sights and we had a lovely visit out to Peggy's Cove.

That explains at least a part of my interest in Lunenberg, as we've never been. :)

• 2 weeks later...
We took a tour to Mahone Bay, Lunenburg, and Peggy's Cove w Halifaxtaxitours. It's a long day but some beautiful scenery.

Regards, DMaugle

I contacted Halifax Taxi Tours a few days ago to book the trip you describe. I'd like to see Peggy's Cove again and Lunenburg would be new to us. Unfortunately they no longer offer a tour that goes to both PC and Lunenburg. They said the guests were forced to rush when going to both spots. So we opted for just Lunenburg and they said it will be a 6 hour trip. We're really looking forward to it.

We used this company for a private van tour in 2010 and found them to be a very good group to work with.

For those who have been to both PC and Lunenburg. Which one did you enjoy the most and if you could only do one. Which one would you do?

IMHO I would do Lunenburg. It is such a quaint little town and easy walking to everything. The Fish Market restaurant is down on the docks and has wonderful sea food. You may also get to see the Blue Nose II. :)

For those who have been to both PC and Lunenburg. Which one did you enjoy the most and if you could only do one. Which one would you do?

PC is pretty but I did not think that it was really worth it. We enjoyed Lunenberg. You should know that this was on a driving trip so time was not a limiting factor.

DON

• 1 year later...

We're arriving in Lunenberg (Crystal Symphony) on September 20 and would like to visit Peggy's Cove and the National Maritime Museum in Halifax, have a wonderful lobster lunch, and cruise around Lunenberg. Anyone know of a tour company that can do that comfortably and affordably? Alternatively, we'd consider renting a car, driving the coast to see PC and go up to Halifax, then returning on a more direct route. Rental car info? Advice?

Thanks!

We're arriving in Lunenberg (Crystal Symphony) on September 20 and would like to visit Peggy's Cove and the National Maritime Museum in Halifax, have a wonderful lobster lunch, and cruise around Lunenberg. Anyone know of a tour company that can do that comfortably and affordably? Alternatively, we'd consider renting a car, driving the coast to see PC and go up to Halifax, then returning on a more direct route. Rental car info? Advice?

Thanks!

You may want to do a search on Lunenburg at the Canadian Ports of Call forum where I just got over 4 pages of hits. After all, this is the New England Ports of Call forum.

SBtS

Several years ago, we did both on an all day tour with http://brucestours.ca/halifaxlunenburgpeggyscove.html I booked the tour.

We had 2 other Cruise critic members join us for a delightful day. I liked Lunenberg, it is a beautiful fishing village, a UNESCO site. The school looked like a decorated wedding cake. We watched the workers refurbing a masted boat.

We ate lunch (on our own) at a local restaurant on scenic Mahone Bay. We did not have a lot of time at Peggy's Cove, but saw the light house and the village. We stopped at a Maple Shop which was wonderful for gifts. We did not see too much of Halifax, and I was okay with that. I will be in Halifax twice this year. Hope this helps you.

Archived