Airline prices......WOW....Hope they come down.....before we have to book.

I know we have time to book our flights for next summer.

But, has anyone been monitoring the price of airline tickets.

I have never seen them so high like this in a long time.

We usually are able to book 3 round trip seats Cleveland to FLL non stop for around $1500-$1600.

Now it is $3000:eek:

I realize it is for this time of year, but, WOW.

Yes we are going to wait and monitor prices.

It seems all the carriers are higher than usual.

Any great hints appreciated.

Too bad we do not have an airline loyalty credit card.

Ours is "cash back" thru our bank.

Sea Ya

Don't know when you are talking about flying, but FLL-CLE on 7/11, returning 7/18, I see $333-450 on a selection of airlines. That is with a stop.

The only non-stop is UA, $506.

Without further specifics, can't help you.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Don't know when you are talking about flying, but FLL-CLE on 7/11, returning 7/18, I see $333-450 on a selection of airlines. That is with a stop.

The only non-stop is UA, $506.

Without further specifics, can't help you.

Thanks for the post.

I am looking at flying July 31, 2015, non stop United Cleveland to FLL

Will double check my pricing.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sea ya

I know we have time to book our flights for next summer.

But, has anyone been monitoring the price of airline tickets.

I have never seen them so high like this in a long time.

We usually are able to book 3 round trip seats Cleveland to FLL non stop for around $1500-$1600.

Now it is $3000:eek:

I realize it is for this time of year, but, WOW.

Yes we are going to wait and monitor prices.

It seems all the carriers are higher than usual.

Any great hints appreciated.

Too bad we do not have an airline loyalty credit card.

Ours is "cash back" thru our bank.

Sea Ya

My hint would be to consider a different airline. United is hardly my go-to for reasonably priced airfare, and I would fly out of their hub!

Thanks for the post.

I am looking at flying July 31, 2015, non stop United Cleveland to FLL

Will double check my pricing.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sea ya

Hmmm...trying to make this tough on me, eh? First, I need the return date to help you.

Second, assuming it is 7-9 days later, after a week long cruise, those dates are just being released right now. Just released dates are rarely the best to buy. Literally waiting just a week or two, and those fares will likely drop, perhaps by greater than 50%. My example in my earlier post is proof of that.

Curious why you didn't post this on the Cruise Air board, where there are so many experts...of which I am but a slightly experienced contributor.

Edited by CruiserBruce

You just might want to consider that credit card option. Wait for the 50 thousand points plus you get free baggage and some club cards. 5 thousand points for 2nd user. 2x points for any United purchase. Chase Sapphire also allows one to one transfer to United. DH and I in 2 months earned enough to book 2 roundtrip tickets to Bali through Tokyo or Hong Kong.

My daughter just talked us into this -- she said if not planning on use of your credit cards and getting bonus and sign-ups -- leaving money on the table because you are going to pay insurance (3,000 points this month for yearly policy), the cruise itself (almost 20,000 points when you have $9,000 cruise times 2 points per dollar (Sapphire). Just a suggestion. I think I have reconsidered the "good deal" of my cash back card that I signed up for last year after 20 years with a no rewards card! In the first 6 months I have received about $6,000 worth of travel/hotel rooms and bonus.

Perhaps because the OP states they want a non-stop, and UA is the only one flying a non-stop???

Merely pointing out options. I much prefer nonstop flights as well, but if I could save $800 by making a short stop somewhere, I would certainly consider it.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree, they are high! I usually check daily, different times of day, and then I book as soon as the flight is available, seems they just go up from there.

Being in Montana we only have a couple airlines to choose from, unfortunately that keeps the price up.

This year we are flying out of a different town (3 hr away) and saved about $500 per ticket.

I always check surrounding towns too, was surprised it was so much cheaper.

Also I try to keep an eye out a year in advance or so and see approx what the fairs are going for about the same time I want to book and see if there are any price drops.

Prices tend to be the lowest between 45-30 DAYS out...when looking for flights this far in advance....just wait!!!

I really don't agree with this statement and the problem with waiting 45 -30 days out is you can't go back and try again. Then if the plane is full -- you will be paying big time. I have had 2 or 3 day sales that cut the price at 6 months and I have had opening day (300 days out) that were the cheapest of all I saw. You have to watch the prices, determine what a good price is (and it has nothing to do with what you want to pay, have paid in the past, or think you should pay:rolleyes:) It just is reality! It is also tough to see what the price really is because more and more the "shopping price" is not the price at the bottom line. You see a price and it seems good and you take it all the way to the price all in and fees and taxes and whatnot and whatfor has made the price go much higher. The airlines have cut flights and sometimes even cut size of the plane so that capacity is controlled and more people want seats than seats available. When planes are fuller -- they keep the price high (don't discount) and the buckets with the lower cost tickets go much faster. All done by computer in real time so don't wait for 3PM Tuesday for lower prices -- it is just a myth!

After doing your research and watching the prices and deciding that a fare is in the range that you have predicted to be good-- then buy! And don't look back -- it only makes you unhappy. Buy each ticket separately sometimes helps -- if not 2 tickets or more at the lower price the default is to take both tickets at the higher price point. One by one might get a singleton ticket at the lower price and another at only a slightly higher price than 2 ticket order has available. Good Luck. It is a purchase like food or gas or nice clothes -- the price can go up or down but the question remains do I want it and do I have the money for it.

Bowie MeMe, you are absolutely correct. Waiting until 45-30 days can be a very expensive mistake. There is no way to say that every flight option is best at that 45-30 day window. Popular or busy routes maybe sold out or very close.

Business people typically book in this window, or even tighter. And they typically pay higher fares.

That is true. Business folks often can't make arrangements much earlier and they pay a premium for that. Yes can be great sales if certain flights are not full -- but often folks don't want to go to Cleveland in Jan. or Miami in August and thus the flights ARE cheaper in that month. The real trick is to know what the product is selling for -- I know that if I see a one way ticket to Florida from Maryland in the $90 range JUMP on it after checking a few reasons why off the list (6:30 AM flight UGH!, 10:30 AM GOOD and I also know this is the 3rd one of the day and most folks with business to do don't wait so late so not a surprise when this one is cheaper or another example Thursday mid day is cheaper than Thursday evening when many head home for the weekend.) All is supply and demand. If another airline has a similar flight at similar time -- often both are offered at lower price than other flights of the day. You are up against computers that recomputed the value every few minutes so it does not make sense that Tuesday at 3 PM or 35 days out will have anything much to do with the price. If it did, the computers would be adjusted to handle the situation.

OTOH I do believe in lucky finger crosses and prayers to the travel Gods!

Or EVEN LUCKY STARS! :D

Edited by Bowie MeMe